One for Kirk - name that rollercoaster

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

One for Kirk - name that rollercoaster

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Have a look (and a listen) to this - from the brilliant You Bet! in the mid-90s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDaLfhq-j4

Let us know how you do??

Jeff
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: One for Kirk - name that rollercoaster

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Awesome. I've never seen a skill like it. Pure magic.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Give that there were only 24 to choose from, I'd guess anyone could learn to do that in a few weeks if they could be arsed.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:Give that there were only 24 to choose from, I'd guess anyone could learn to do that in a few weeks if they could be arsed.
I did wonder that, yeah. Also how did they choose which bit to play? (All I could guess was that it was from a little before to a little after the highest point of the roller coaster, but I've no idea, really.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Give that there were only 24 to choose from, I'd guess anyone could learn to do that in a few weeks if they could be arsed.
I did wonder that, yeah. Also how did they choose which bit to play? (All I could guess was that it was from a little before to a little after the highest point of the roller coaster, but I've no idea, really.)
It would've been pretty evil if they could play any 5-second clip from a complete recording of the ride, so I would guess they just picked some random snippet ahead of time and he learnt those. The programme generally seems to have been (CoRig)rigged so as to make the tricks look more impressive than they were, which is unfortunate because it devalued the occasional ones that were really cool.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:The programme generally seems to have been (CoRig)rigged so as to make the tricks look more impressive than they were, which is unfortunate because it devalued the occasional ones that were really cool.
Also, anyone else think that the process by which the clips were selected by the audience looked distinctly dodgy?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:Also, anyone else think that the process by which the clips were selected by the audience looked distinctly dodgy?
Yeah - especially the times when the numbers were flashing down in sequence and then jumped to a particular one. Maybe it looks less flashy, but why not just get them to choose a number? Although it would seem odd for them to feel the need to rig it quite so much.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Also, anyone else think that the process by which the clips were selected by the audience looked distinctly dodgy?
Yeah - especially the times when the numbers were flashing down in sequence and then jumped to a particular one. Maybe it looks less flashy, but why not just get them to choose a number? Although it would seem odd for them to feel the need to rig it quite so much.
I suspect what happened was that the producers simply chose the 5 clips at random before the show so that they could be edited together in the right sequence for studio playback (bear in mind that this dates from a time when sound clips were not routinely stored and reproduced digitally). The audience participation bit was just a gimmicky way of highlighting the fact that the clips were chosen at random, although that choice had in fact been made in advance.
Last edited by Phil Reynolds on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I feel like we've just told Kirk that Father Christmas isn't real.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow!

And Matthew Kelly is one of the few bearded game show hosts in the entire world!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So anyway, this has reminded me of how awesome the theme tune was.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Did Brucie start dancing to it every show?