What do you put in a toaster?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply

What's your favourite topping on toast?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 am

Plain cos I'm a sick bastard
1
2%
Butter
11
23%
Jam - specify flavour
5
10%
Marmalade
4
8%
Marmite
8
17%
Vegemite
0
No votes
Chocolate Spread
0
No votes
Beans
3
6%
Cheese
6
13%
Posh cheese
1
2%
Eggs
5
10%
Other - please specify
3
6%
I hate toast
1
2%
 
Total votes: 48

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:29 am

Bread! I've enabled revoting and you can pick up to 2 options. If you have a toast regime that you follow to an Aspergic degree of accuracy and would like to share with us please post it below. But please no discussion of toasties AKA the toasted sandwich because that can only lead to a debate on whether or not you get 2 toasties when you cut your toastie in half, and madness will ensue!!!
Last edited by Dinos Sfyris on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:32 am

Personally I like a slice of white, lightly toasted and buttered followed by a generous splodge of strawberry jam, evenly distributed of course. Then same again with Marmite but this time no butter.

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:33 am

Eggs
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 am

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Eggs
Damn knew I forgot an obvious one. Poll has reset to include eggs so you might have to vote again.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3708
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ben Wilson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 am

Jam- preferably Strawberry.

Cheese is also lovely, especially strong cheddar. Cheese, beans and eggs all at the same time is truly the breakfast of kings. :)

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:43 am

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Eggs
Damn knew I forgot an obvious one. Poll has reset to include eggs so you might have to vote again.

I know you've put 'other' but I feel peanut butter is too integral to a list like this to be left off.

I eat my boiled eggs in quite an anal way but I shan't expand on that unless pushed - possibly in a humpty dumpty stylee.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 am

Not changing it again. Even if I were I think Peanut Butter would just fail to make the grade. Sorry :( Crunchy or Smoothe though?

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:53 am

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Not changing it again. Even if I were I think Peanut Butter would just fail to make the grade. Sorry :( Crunchy or Smoothe though?
Well, crunchy actually, but I need to mention smooth just to spell it right ;)

I'm refraining from voting because is variously eggs, sardines, marmalade, peanut butter, rarely together (!!) but always with butter. If it's JUST butter, I like the toast to go cold first (sometimes requiring a quick rest in the ice box of the fridge) so the butter doesn't melt.

Real butter, rather than spreadable from the fridge stuff. Just keep it in a cupboard in a butter dish, not in the fridge or you end up with either ripped toasted or that molten in the middle accident caused by unskilled microwaving

Does anyone else have a problem with these nutty breads making toast that squeaks against your plate setting your teeth on edge??

Sorry - I seem to have too much to say on this subject. Oh, my lunch is ready.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:56 am

Sue Sanders wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem with these nutty breads making toast that squeaks against your plate setting your teeth on edge??

Sorry - I seem to have too much to say on this subject. Oh, my lunch is ready.
Biggest problem with nutty breads, (are you sure it isn't wood?) is that they catch fire so quickly under the grill - we don't all have toasters at our disposal.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem with these nutty breads making toast that squeaks against your plate setting your teeth on edge??

Sorry - I seem to have too much to say on this subject. Oh, my lunch is ready.
Biggest problem with nutty breads, (are you sure it isn't wood?) is that they catch fire so quickly under the grill - we don't all have toasters at our disposal.
Yep, was married to a man for years who just didn't want to do his toast in a toaster so we didn't own one. To his credit he rarely burned it. I regularly did. To avoid dry toast the grill needs to be properly warmed up first. My mum's toaster specialises in hot dry bread and normally ejects it with an enthusiasm that requires a few minutes searching for it behind the cupboards!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by James Robinson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

I chose Marmite and other.

My other choice being sweet, sweet honey!

Waiting for someone to say they put toast in a toaster! :D
WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!
UP THE MIGHTY TERRIERS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Well this is silly, only 2 options? I wanted to vote for jam and Marmite, but obviously those both require butter, and I'm not going to vote for them on their own.

Worst poll ever :(

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 pm

I was gonna put options with and without butter but I thought that was catered for by asking people to say if you they like their toast a certain way. Hence I put in my post I like butter with jam but not with Marmite. If you wish to start a new poll regarding BONB with your principal topping be my guest though :)

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:58 pm

Nope, it's too late now. You've ruined my life forever :( :( :(

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Contrary to my principles, I have now voted in the poll....I wanted to check out something that has proved correct. No-one has voted for vegemite. And my money's on no-one doing so. Marmite and vegemite as two separate items in the poll, yet peanut butter not give air time. And I'd like to know what the makers of Bovil would think about it. You may have possibly have created a very contraversial poll here, Dinos! And let's just hope the makers of 'toast toppers' don't get wind of if and sue yo ass boy. *

* I am willing to concede that 'toast toppers' may well no longer be made.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:28 pm

Vegemite stuck in my head as someone had mentioned it in the "Love it or Hate it?" poll. Better to be controversial than have the votes spread too thinly ;)

Matt Bayfield
Devotee
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Seated at a computer

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Matt Bayfield » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:40 pm

I consider toast to be a luxury food as it's terribly environmentally unfriendly. If you want to be green, eat bread instead.

Firstly, there's the obvious usage of electricity (or gas, if you're using a gas-fired grill) when toasting bread. But secondly, the process of toasting oxidises the bread which means that it has a lower calorific and nutritional value when you eat it. Hence, to gain the equivalent nutritional benefit as bread, you have to eat more toast, placing even more burden on the electricity-intensive processes of industrial flour milling and bread baking.


On an unrelated note, I'm sure that Toast Toppers used to look and taste a bit like vomit. That's possibly why they're no longer widely available.

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ben Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Do you guys really put this stuff in a toaster?
Matt Bayfield wrote:I consider toast to be a luxury food as it's terribly environmentally unfriendly. If you want to be green, eat bread instead.

Firstly, there's the obvious usage of electricity (or gas, if you're using a gas-fired grill) when toasting bread. But secondly, the process of toasting oxidises the bread which means that it has a lower calorific and nutritional value when you eat it. Hence, to gain the equivalent nutritional benefit as bread, you have to eat more toast, placing even more burden on the electricity-intensive processes of industrial flour milling and bread baking.
Time for some toast I reckon.

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:28 pm

Matt Bayfield wrote:I consider toast to be a luxury food as it's terribly environmentally unfriendly. If you want to be green, eat bread instead.

Firstly, there's the obvious usage of electricity (or gas, if you're using a gas-fired grill) when toasting bread. But secondly, the process of toasting oxidises the bread which means that it has a lower calorific and nutritional value when you eat it. Hence, to gain the equivalent nutritional benefit as bread, you have to eat more toast, placing even more burden on the electricity-intensive processes of industrial flour milling and bread baking.

You've really brought me down, dude.


On an unrelated note, I'm sure that Toast Toppers used to look and taste a bit like vomit. That's possibly why they're no longer widely available.
. 'Look like', I'll agree...' Taste like' - can't help thinking the product wouldn't have got through initial marketing trials. .This was years before '2 girls 1 cup', you know!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Strawberry jam and beans. I would've said cheese if I could have had 3 options.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Strawberry jam and beans.
Does that really work?

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by JimBentley » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:45 pm

I can't have dry toast, got to at least have butter or margarine on it (as well as something else). The something else is almost always eggs, sometimes scrambled but more often fried. In related news, my toaster broke a few weeks ago and even though they only cost about 25p nowadays, I've not replaced it, so just use the grill instead in an oldskool stylee.

Liam Tiernan
Devotee
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Kildare, Rep. of Ireland

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Liam Tiernan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm

Just plain butter and lots of it. My brother always makes his with beetroot and crisps sprinkled with Aromat seasoning. I can't even stay in the same room while he eats it.

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Matt Bayfield wrote:
On an unrelated note, I'm sure that Toast Toppers used to look and taste a bit like vomit. That's possibly why they're no longer widely available.
Toast toppers are certainly still available, and rather like Vol-au-vents look they have been eaten before. But if I close my eyes I can eat them both :lol:
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4137
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Jon O'Neill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:29 pm

How is eggs more common than peanut butter? Anyway, butter is the best. I'm having some now I've read this!

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 pm

I went for Marmite and jam, although obviously both of these would come with butter as well. My jam flavour would be strawberry - my current jar is apparently 'wild strawberry', but I've no idea if that makes any difference to how it tastes (if it does, I haven't noticed).

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Ian Volante » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 am

Sue Sanders wrote:Contrary to my principles, I have now voted in the poll....I wanted to check out something that has proved correct. No-one has voted for vegemite. And my money's on no-one doing so. Marmite and vegemite as two separate items in the poll, yet peanut butter not give air time. And I'd like to know what the makers of Bovil would think about it. You may have possibly have created a very contraversial poll here, Dinos! And let's just hope the makers of 'toast toppers' don't get wind of if and sue yo ass boy. *

* I am willing to concede that 'toast toppers' may well no longer be made.

All minging.

And I put bread in a toaster. And I use Marg, not butter! Pah.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Charlie Reams » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:48 am

I saw on QI once that margarine is no longer widely available in the UK. Like most QI facts, this turns out to be bullshit on closer inspection, and appears to be based on a pedantic understanding of the word Margarine as the original brand name (short for oleomargarine, the generic product). Obviously no one uses margarine in that way any more.

User avatar
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 am
Location: Swindon
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Derek Hazell » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:I saw on QI once that margarine is no longer widely available in the UK. Like most QI facts, this turns out to be bullshit on closer inspection, and appears to be based on a pedantic understanding of the word Margarine as the original brand name (short for oleomargarine, the generic product). Obviously no one uses margarine in that way any more.
There is also that school of thought that everyone pronounces "margarine" wrongly - it should be said with a hard "g", as in Margaret. I wonder if that is also a QI-type fact, or has a more solid basis this time?

Talking of "margarine" and "solid", why was that horrible cheap stuff in those enormous tubs they used to sell called "Soft Margarine" actually much harder than any other kind of margarine/spread?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Charlie Reams » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Derek Hazell wrote:There is also that school of thought that everyone pronounces "margarine" wrongly - it should be said with a hard "g", as in Margaret. I wonder if that is also a QI-type fact, or has a more solid basis this time?
It's from the Greek margaron, which would have been a hard g, but so would giant and a whole bunch of other words. I don't think it's possible for everyone to be wrong about something which is arbitrary in the first place.

User avatar
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 am
Location: Swindon
Contact:

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Derek Hazell » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:It's from the Greek margaron, which would have been a hard g, but so would giant and a whole bunch of other words. I don't think it's possible for everyone to be wrong about something which is arbitrary in the first place.
Well, it may be correct, but I am yet to hear anyone say it.

Des O'Connor pronounces all "t" words with a hard "t", such as "tune" which he pronounces "toon", and "d" words, such as "dook" for "duke". I wonder how he pronounces "margarine"?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Sue Sanders » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It's from the Greek margaron, which would have been a hard g, but so would giant and a whole bunch of other words. I don't think it's possible for everyone to be wrong about something which is arbitrary in the first place.
Well, it may be correct, but I am yet to hear anyone say it.

Des O'Connor pronounces all "t" words with a hard "t", such as "tune" which he pronounces "toon", and "d" words, such as "dook" for "duke". I wonder how he pronounces "margarine"?

He wouldn't have heard of it....and if it was an answer in the teatime teaser, he'd announce it as being 'all one word' _ Yeah, I know I've moaned about Des in the same way before but I guess Des Lynam was helping me deal with the loss of the great Twice Nightly, when he was replaced by the useless DesO.

As predicted - still no votes for Vegemite, I see.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Hugh Binnie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:55 am

Derek Hazell wrote:Des O'Connor pronounces all "t" words with a hard "t", such as "tune" which he pronounces "toon", and "d" words, such as "dook" for "duke". I wonder how he pronounces "margarine"?
Probably "butter."

Peter Mabey
Devotee
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Peter Mabey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:03 pm

My toaster broke today - when I switched it on all my power sockets died :twisted:
So after unplugging, reset circuit breaker and restarted computer and TV etc. Good news is that shock to system has cleared fault which had made this machine automatically log me off again as soon as I logged on, so I can submit my vote & comments. :D
So, having cooked myself a portion of smoked haddock, I didn't have my usual piece of toast to put it on :(

David Roe
Enthusiast
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by David Roe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:37 pm

How can you include Marmite but not Bovril?

User avatar
John Bosley
Enthusiast
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Huddersfield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by John Bosley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:17 pm

I have Vegemite every day but only just saw this thread - too late and I would have been the only one - fame at last :mrgreen:

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: What do you put in a toaster?

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Forgot all about this poll.

In conclusion butter wins with 11 votes and Marmite's 2nd with 8.

Cheese, Jam and Eggs are also popular options with 5 or 6 votes each.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests