Children's Programmes

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Children's Programmes

Post by Derek Hazell »

It's only a matter of time before all forums end up with a discussion on children's programmes, so I am just posting to say RIP to the creator of Captain Pugwash, John Ryan who has died ages 88.

This is of additional interest to Countdown lovers, as Richard Digance was apparently the man responsible for the urban myths about rude character names which still live on to this day. These were of course Master Bates, Seaman Stains and Roger the Cabin Boy. Apparently he quite upset John Ryan with this, but brought immense additional pleasure from the show to millions of overgrown schoolboys.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Children's Programmes

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:Richard Digance was apparently the man responsible for the urban myths about rude character names which still live on to this day. These were of course Master Bates, Seaman Stains and Roger the Cabin Boy.
The thing is, when I used to watch it when I was little, I genuinely thought one of the characters was called Master Bate. It was only relatively recently that I found out I'd apparently been mishearing it all these years, and the character's name was in fact Master Mate. I wonder if Dicky Digance had the same confusion, which inspired him to invent the other names.

John Ryan was also responsible for Sir Prancelot, which apart from anything else had one of the coolest ever closing theme tunes, played on what I can only describe as a rock zither.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Some of my favourite Children's TV programmes: Bernard's Watch, Arthur, Jeopardy, . . . probably more but I can't really remember. Obviously Pokemon but I wouldn't really count that as a children's programme.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Pingu.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thundercats! Movie coming out next summer :) :o :) But it's CG rather than live action so I'm not expecting much.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Some of my favourite Children's TV programmes: Bernard's Watch, Arthur, Jeopardy, . . . probably more but I can't really remember. Obviously Pokemon but I wouldn't really count that as a children's programme.
I'd give anything for a watch like Bernard's
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Some of my favourite Children's TV programmes: Bernard's Watch, Arthur, Jeopardy, . . . probably more but I can't really remember. Obviously Pokemon but I wouldn't really count that as a children's programme.
I saw a little kid who reminded me of Bernard so much the other day, its was surreal.

Even though I'm 17, I think Pocoyo is one of the most entertaining things on telly. Boobah is massively hilarious too. ZINGZINGZINGBAH is my favourite, he makes ZINGBAH seem so boring in comparison.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Image
This.

Also Cities of Gold, Ulysses 31, Bucky O'Hare and Pirates of Dark Water. :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

It's strange isn't it how everyone has their own unique memories of children's programmes, even when they are a similar age. Ones I remember loving include Dogtanian, The Littlest Hobo, Trumpton, and The Flumps. Also, the great BBC dramas, such as Running Scared.
Never even heard of any of Ben Wilson's favourites, despite only being 6 years different in age to him.
I do remember never being allowed to watch Grange Hill though!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

The simpsons are cool.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Derek Hazell wrote:It's strange isn't it how everyone has their own unique memories of children's programmes, even when they are a similar age. Ones I remember loving include Dogtanian, The Littlest Hobo, Trumpton, and The Flumps. Also, the great BBC dramas, such as Running Scared.
Never even heard of any of Ben Wilson's favourites, despite only being 6 years different in age to him.
I do remember never being allowed to watch Grange Hill though!
This is ironic as Cities of Gold & especially Ulysses were broadcast around 1987 when you'd have been (by my maths) 10 and thusly the perfect age to appreciate their brilliance. Hell, I was 4 and loved them. Took me 15 years to work out why I loved them, mind you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Did anyone ever watch White Fang? Not that I think it was particularly good or anything and I think I was quite old when I came across it but watched it in the school holidays when it was on, but anyway there was an episode (I think it was called "The Trap") where I'm sure White Fang at some point said "Silly cunts". Anyone else watch this?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Did anyone ever watch White Fang? Not that I think it was particularly good or anything and I think I was quite old when I came across it but watched it in the school holidays when it was on, but anyway there was an episode (I think it was called "The Trap") where I'm sure White Fang at some point said "Silly cunts". Anyone else watch this?
It was shit but I still watched it for some reason.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

The mark of a good children's tv programme has to be that it makes you well up when you see it in adulthood.

So, obviously....The Clangers (RIP Oliver Postgate)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Sue Sanders wrote:The mark of a good children's tv programme has to be that it makes you well up when you see it in adulthood.

In my day, the children's programme consisted of 30 minutes on the BBC Light programme (I think) at 5.00 PM. I remember the introduction-- "Hallo children everywhere". The main story was Larry the lamb. This was radio of course, and most evenings the story teller's voice would be faded out, which meant that the bombers were on the way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

George Jenkins wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:The mark of a good children's tv programme has to be that it makes you well up when you see it in adulthood.

In my day, the children's programme consisted of 30 minutes on the BBC Light programme (I think) at 5.00 PM. I remember the introduction-- "Hallo children everywhere". The main story was Larry the lamb. This was radio of course, and most evenings the story teller's voice would be faded out, which meant that the bombers were on the way.

George...... I've welled up.

I had a 'Listen With Mother' LP :oops:
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

We want Muffin, Muffin the mule
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

The Magic Roundabout!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Did anyone ever watch White Fang? Not that I think it was particularly good or anything and I think I was quite old when I came across it but watched it in the school holidays when it was on, but anyway there was an episode (I think it was called "The Trap") where I'm sure White Fang at some point said "Silly cunts". Anyone else watch this?
Right. I know this has been a long wait, but go to 7:20 on this video and make your own minds up. I misremembered it slightly though - it wasn't White Fang speaking and it was in the singular. And there's a very small chance it might have been "cub".
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Silly cub.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark