Worst person in the whole world?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Worlds Biggest Twat

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Shaun Murphy
11%
Danny Dyer
No votes
Jay 'twat in the hat' Kay out of Jamiroquai
7%
Carol McGriffin off Loose Women
4%
Julie T
4%
Andy Murray
7%
Andy Murray's Mum
No votes
Jim Davidson
14%
Amanda Holden
4%
Cristiano Ronaldo
21%
Paris Hilton
14%
Maxwell off Big Brother 5
4%
Jade Goody
11%

Total votes: 28

Matthew Green
Devotee

Worst person in the whole world?

Post by Matthew Green »

Watching the fat smug cunt that is Shaun Murphy waddling round the tabel at the Crucible has inspired me to do a thread on who is the worlds worst person.

I've taken the rather extreme liberty of doing the shortlist myself but suggestions are welcome...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Worst person in the whole world?

Post by Charlie Reams »

Respect for not including traditional cliches such as Hitler, Pol Pot or Richard Brittain.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

And George Bush. No one hates George Bush any more, it's so 2008.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Whats the problem with Shaun Murphy? I don't particularly follow Snooker, but know who's who, and was surprised to hear that he kept getting booed. Doesn't appear to be a Naseem Hamed type to me. Is he an arrogant boaster or something?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Steve Durney wrote:Whats the problem with Shaun Murphy? I don't particularly follow Snooker, but know who's who, and was surprised to hear that he kept getting booed. Doesn't appear to be a Naseem Hamed type to me. Is he an arrogant boaster or something?
Think that was because his marriage is breaking up and some family of his wife had gotten into the audience. It was to do with the marriage break-up anyway.

I think the poll lacks credibility whilst there are no Bartons and no Sam Allardyce on the list.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Murphy is a cunt.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Murphy is a cunt.
Why?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Steve Durney wrote:
Why?
He just comes across as incredibly self-assured and smug. If it were Countdown, he'd probably take a sip of his water at every opportunity. Also he's fat. I don't like fat people.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

This is from memory so will not be 100% accurate but Murphy played a match against Stephen Maguire in the Grand Prix (?) circa 2004. Both players entered the arena, only for Maguire to realise he had left his chalk in the dressing room.

As Maguire left to retrieve it, Murphy championed the referee to have him him docked a frame for not being ready on time. The referee had no option to agree, as this was in the rules, if not in the spirit of the game.

Maguire proceeded to win the match 5-2 and Murphy quite rightly earned his reputation as a cunt.

Honorable mentions for Robert Mugabe, Max Mosley and Daddy Hamilton.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Phil Collinge wrote:This is from memory so will not be 100% accurate but Murphy played a match against Stephen Maguire in the Grand Prix (?) circa 2004. Both players entered the arena, only for Maguire to realise he had left his chalk in the dressing room.

As Maguire left to retrieve it, Murphy championed the referee to have him him docked a frame for not being ready on time. The referee had no option to agree, as this was in the rules, if not in the spirit of the game.

Maguire proceeded to win the match 5-2 and Murphy quite rightly earned his reputation as a cunt.
Well, if that's the case, then fair enough! That's just bad sportsmanship and plain petty.

Reminds me of when Ronaldo (who, as i'm an Arsenal fan, was the one I voted for!) tried to get Rooney sent off in the World Cup. Arsehole.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I dont think anyone needs to explain why Murphy is a cunt, he just clearly is. You dont need to meet John Higgins in person to know that he is definately a nice chap and the same applies for Murphy but to the other extreme.

As for Barton and Allardyce, I can think of many people from the world of football I'd put ahead of those 2, namely:

Bellamy
Alan Smith
Danny Mills
Savage
Steve Bruce
Mark Hughes
Ince
Cantona
Keane
Lampard
Steve McLaren
Thierry Henry (the Shaun Murphy of football)
Daniel Alves
Klinnsman
Barthez
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matthew Green wrote:Thierry Henry (the Shaun Murphy of football)
What the hell? He's nowhere near as fat, and I love him.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

This is so tough - You definitely need an 'all the above' button. :)
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
I'd say he's the smuggest cunt in the world of sport.

Cannot believe I left out Jeremy Kyle. In fact I'll leave him out a la Beevers at COC, just to give the others a chance.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Matthew Green wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
I'd say he's the smuggest cunt in the world of sport.

Cannot believe I left out Jeremy Kyle. In fact I'll leave him out a la Beevers at COC, just to give the others a chance.
Thierry Henry is a legend and the greatest player to have ever played in the Premier league! And he's certainly not smug!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Steve Durney wrote:Thierry Henry is a legend and the greatest player to have ever played in the Premier league! And he's certainly not smug!
Most over-rated player ever to have played in the Premier League, with the possible exception of Steven Gerrard because of the Liverpool fans at the BBC. Two players who get shown up for being pretty unremarkable when playing at the top level. Henry's finishing isn't good enough and he can't head the ball, fortunately for him when he played at Arsenal he was made the focus of every single attacking move - so he couldn't fail to score a shedload and they kept the ball on the deck for him. Once the media cut out all the chances he missed and coughed up the highlights reel it makes him look a hell of a lot better than he is. Oh and he's a posing twat as well, which helps along with other things to bump up the hype factor.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:Thierry Henry is a legend and the greatest player to have ever played in the Premier league! And he's certainly not smug!
Most over-rated player ever to have played in the Premier League, with the possible exception of Steven Gerrard because of the Liverpool fans at the BBC. Two players who get shown up for being pretty unremarkable when playing at the top level. Henry's finishing isn't good enough and he can't head the ball, fortunately for him when he played at Arsenal he was made the focus of every single attacking move - so he couldn't fail to score a shedload and they kept the ball on the deck for him. Once the media cut out all the chances he missed and coughed up the highlights reel it makes him look a hell of a lot better than he is. Oh and he's a posing twat as well, which helps along with other things to bump up the hype factor.
The biggest load of crap i've ever read! Ha ha. Just so stupid I can only guess you're joking!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Outrageous on both counts. Just outrageous. Granted, he couldn't head a ball, but his finishing not being good enough? That's outrageous. Look at his goalscoring record. Just how many chances does he have to get before scoring 174 in 254 Premier League games means he is not a prolific striker? Not to mention the 80 or so assists. There's a reason he was the focus of every single one of their attacking moves, and that was his tendency to score a shit load of goals. Not that I took the anything in your post seriously after the Steven Gerrard statement. I would go so far as to say that Steven Gerrard is under-rated. He improves attacking situations like no other player I've ever seen. I can't think of a better attacking midfielder in the world.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:
Outrageous on both counts. Just outrageous. Granted, he couldn't head a ball, but his finishing not being good enough? That's outrageous. Look at his goalscoring record. Just how many chances does he have to get before scoring 174 in 254 Premier League games means he is not a prolific striker? Not to mention the 80 or so assists. There's a reason he was the focus of every single one of their attacking moves, and that was his tendency to score a shit load of goals. Not that I took the anything in your post seriously after the Steven Gerrard statement. I would go so far as to say that Steven Gerrard is under-rated. He improves attacking situations like no other player I've ever seen. I can't think of a better attacking midfielder in the world.
Couldn't agree more, Jon.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

An Arsenal and a Liverpool fan who think Henry and Gerrard are great. Wow, you really demolished Craig's point with that!
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Charlie Reams wrote:An Arsenal and a Liverpool fan who think Henry and Gerrard are great. Wow, you really demolished Craig's point with that!
No Charlie, the statistics demolish Craig's point!
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:An Arsenal fan who thinks Henry is great.

:oops:
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Callum Laddiman wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:An Arsenal fan who thinks Henry is great.

:oops:
Just because he moved to Barcelona doesnt undo all that he done for us. The unbeaten season would never have happened without Henry. Quite simply the greatest player in Arsenal's history, backed up by a poll on the club's website AFTER he'd left.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:An Arsenal and a Liverpool fan who think Henry and Gerrard are great. Wow, you really demolished Craig's point with that!
Since when did Henry play for Liverpool, and Gerrard for Arsenal?
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Since when did Henry play for Liverpool, and Gerrard for Arsenal?
I wish Gerrard did play for Arsenal!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dissing Gerrard is so old. He's fucking brilliant, and I say that as a Liverpool fan.
Me supporting Liverpool doesn't make Gerrard brilliant, Gerrard playing brilliantly makes Gerrard brilliant.
I also say Henry is brilliant, and I hate Arsenal (and I thought he was brilliant while he still was at Arsenal).

Saying Gerrard is over-rated is a bit like saying getting 14 maxes is fucking shit just because it isn't totally perfect.

And on the snooker, I kind of wanted Murphy to win just so he could continue to be a smarmy shit and I could hate him more for it.
As it was, he fulfilled all the "true gentleman" shit that the commentators have been going on about all tournament.
A smarmy git maybe, but a top professional.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Whether he's good or not is not relevant to this thread, he is undoubtedly a smug, self-absorbed, over indulged smarmy little twat. That failed penalty against Man City showed him up for everything he is.

Zidane was a million times better than Henry and a million times more humble and likeable.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Craig Beevers wrote:
I think the poll lacks credibility
Surely this should read "I hope the colin credibility", for fear of upsetting the easily offended?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Matthew Green wrote:Whether he's good or not is not relevant to this thread, he is undoubtedly a smug, self-absorbed, over indulged smarmy little twat. That failed penalty against Man City showed him up for everything he is.

Zidane was a million times better than Henry and a million times more humble and likeable.
OK... well remember Zidane's last international football moment? What a disgrace...

Anyway... I think the original point was that Henry was akin to Murphy, in that he is unsportsmanlike. This is typified by the forcing of rules having to be rewritten, just because he found a loophole. An example is the rule that says now that it is one motion when the ball leaves the goalkeeper's hand to the kick, so that you can't steal the ball mid-drop. His unsportmanship necessitated this. Another example I am a bit fuzzy on is something to do with the offside rule, but I cba to look it up.

Let's not get drawn into a "who's the worst footballer" debate, based on skill, rather than as the thread intends, on personal merit, as that would undoubtedly put (I suggest) everyone on this forum as an absolute zero to their boiling point.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Adam Dexter wrote:Anyway... I think the original point was that Henry was akin to Murphy, in that he is unsportsmanlike. This is typified by the forcing of rules having to be rewritten, just because he found a loophole. An example is the rule that says now that it is one motion when the ball leaves the goalkeeper's hand to the kick, so that you can't steal the ball mid-drop. His unsportmanship necessitated this. Another example I am a bit fuzzy on is something to do with the offside rule, but I cba to look it up.
If that is what he meant, then it's a pretty stupid comparison. Henry's exploitation of those rules makes him, in my eyes, a virtuoso. Think the bodyline series in cricket. Exploitation shapes the rules and makes the game what it is.

Murphy is just a petty cunt.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

The penalty incident involving Robert Pires, which was given as an example of Henry being a bad sportsman, was actually originally tried (successfully) by the great Ajax team of the Seventies, involving one Johan Cruyff. The kicking the ball after leaving the goalie's hands mid-kick was also done before, by George Best. Don't hear anybody slating Cruyff and Best as bad sportsmen, or being smug, or arrogant, or twats, on here though.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Steve Durney wrote:The penalty incident involving Robert Pires, which was given as an example of Henry being a bad sportsman, was actually originally tried (successfully) by the great Ajax team of the Seventies, involving one Johan Cruyff. The kicking the ball after leaving the goalie's hands mid-kick was also done before, by George Best. Don't hear anybody slating Cruyff and Best as bad sportsmen, or being smug, or arrogant, or twats, on here though.
I agree with your post completely. But Best is a twat.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Steve Durney wrote:The penalty incident involving Robert Pires, which was given as an example of Henry being a bad sportsman, was actually originally tried (successfully) by the great Ajax team of the Seventies, involving one Johan Cruyff. The kicking the ball after leaving the goalie's hands mid-kick was also done before, by George Best. Don't hear anybody slating Cruyff and Best as bad sportsmen, or being smug, or arrogant, or twats, on here though.
That's because sensible discussion and logical reasoning rapidly leave the room whenever football 'fans' start one of their interminable pointless arguments. The very fact that footballers (or indeed sportsmen of any hue) are even being mentioned in a thread with this title says it all.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
That's because sensible discussion and logical reasoning rapidly leave the room whenever football 'fans' start one of their interminable pointless arguments. The very fact that footballers (or indeed sportsmen of any hue) are even being mentioned in a thread with this title says it all.
I've generally not got a problem with anybody being smug, so long as they can back it up and not go ott. Hamed, Eubank etc usually (or used to at least) back up their cockiness with huge talent which they worked hard to achieve. But I can't stand cheating of any kind or deliberately trying to get an opponent penalised, especially in the way Murphy did.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Steve Durney wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:sensible discussion and logical reasoning rapidly leave the room whenever football 'fans' start one of their interminable pointless arguments. The very fact that footballers (or indeed sportsmen of any hue) are even being mentioned in a thread with this title says it all.
I've generally not got a problem with anybody being smug, so long as they can back it up and not go ott. Hamed, Eubank etc usually (or used to at least) back up their cockiness with huge talent which they worked hard to achieve. But I can't stand cheating of any kind or deliberately trying to get an opponent penalised, especially in the way Murphy did.
Your reply appears to be orthogonal to my post.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Adam Dexter wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Whether he's good or not is not relevant to this thread, he is undoubtedly a smug, self-absorbed, over indulged smarmy little twat. That failed penalty against Man City showed him up for everything he is.

OK... well remember Zidane's last international football moment? What a disgrace...
A headbutt to the chest? At worst you end up a bit winded.

This, however, is utterly deplorable and could end somebodys career...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20If7fnKSyg
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I went for "Jade Goody", but it really meant "Max Clifford".
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:
He scored that many because, I'll repeat it in nice big letters for you, he was the focus of *every* attack. Funny how Arsenal is the only side where he's looked good and even then his scoring record is exaggerated by all the times he filled his boots against relegation fodder - I still remember him missing two sitters in the CL final against Barcelona, was pretty amusing really because I hate the Arsenal team under Wenger. Genuine top notch forwards wouldn't have missed those chances. Give anyone decent hatfuls of chances and they'll have a good scoring record, see forwards who play for Celtic/Rangers.

Steven Gerrard is similar in that he was the focal point in lots of moves, but most of his reputation comes about because of the Liverpool fanboys at the BBC - people are so susceptible to hype it's not funny. Football is a game built on hype and reputation because there are very few objective ways of judging players individually, in cricket at least you have statistics, averages etc. and you can dissect them further. Every match I've seen Gerrard play whether it be for England or Liverpool he's looked distinctly unremarkable. Tries too many Hollywood balls and his second touch is often a tackle, but of course with the way the media covers fashionable players they'll soon forget the ones he cocks up and just replay the occasional successful effort ad nauseam.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I hate Liverpool but have to say that you are chatting absolute shit, Beevers. Gerrard is a rare breed that can control a game and bring out the best in players around him. It takes something special to do what he did against AC Milan in '05 and West Ham the following year, to mention just two of many examples where he has taken the game by the scruff of the neck.

And your criticism of Henry is flawed. With Messi, Eto et al, Henry isn't exactly the focus of every Barca move yet has netted around 1 in 2 games over 2 seasons, in a period where he's been considered way past his best! Smug maybe, but over-rated he is not.

Oh and the Celtic/Rangers analogy is just plain stupid, given how weak the average opposition in the Scottish Prem is compared to Europe's top leagues.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I hate Liverpool but have to say that you are chatting absolute shit, Beevers. Gerrard is a rare breed that can control a game and bring out the best in players around him. It takes something special to do what he did against AC Milan in '05 and West Ham the following year, to mention just two of many examples where he has taken the game by the scruff of the neck.
Correct. He does this about one game in every five or six.
Junaid Mubeen wrote:And your criticism of Henry is flawed. With Messi, Eto et al, Henry isn't exactly the focus of every Barca move yet has netted around 1 in 2 games over 2 seasons, in a period where he's been considered way past his best! Smug maybe, but over-rated he is not.
Correct. Remember he isn't the focus of *every* attack any more.

If you can watch a football match and not realise these two players' contribution, you don't understand the game. Perhaps stick to cricket.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

In case anyone hasn't seen this.

(for what it's worth, I do quite like football, I just rarely have enough time to watch enough of it to be able to take part in "who's the biggest lamer" competitions (although I do know that Ronaldo is a twat))
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Craig Beevers Series 57 Champion wrote:Thierry Henry . . . Steven Gerrard . . .
Junaid Mubeen Series 59 Champion wrote:you are chatting absolute shit, Beevers.
I have no idea who any of these people are, but if they get two series winners chatting, they can't be all bad! :)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Interesting to see Im the only one to vote for Maxwell BB, does nobody remember quite how vile this guy was?

Although Charlie, Alexandra and Luke all push him close.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Matthew Green wrote:Interesting to see Im the only one to vote for Maxwell BB, does nobody remember quite how vile this guy was?
Everybody remembers how vile Maxwell from BB6 was, but he isn't in the list, otherwise he would have gotten 100% of the vote.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:Interesting to see Im the only one to vote for Maxwell BB, does nobody remember quite how vile this guy was?
Jog on mate. He was off the hook.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:
Why?
He just comes across as incredibly self-assured and smug. If it were Countdown, he'd probably take a sip of his water at every opportunity. Also he's fat. I don't like fat people.
I met him after the CoC in the pool hall down the road from the hotel. I was wasting some time, having a few beers and trying to rip off the quiz machine. He was having coffee (!?) at the bar waiting to have a few practice games. I had a brief conversation with him and he was quite funny and easy-going; the barman reckons he's a "top bloke." I am more inclined to believe barmen than you miserable cunts!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I would rather trust my own unsubstantiated judgement than that of someone who earns a living pulling pints.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Craig Beevers Series 57 Champion wrote:balls
David O'Donnell Series 58 Champion wrote:cunts!
Junaid Mubeen Series 59 Champion wrote:shit
:shock: Cover your eyes and ears before the Series 60 Champion gets here!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

[quote][/quote]He scored that many because, I'll repeat it in nice big letters for you, he was the focus of *every* attack. Funny how Arsenal is the only side where he's looked good and even then his scoring record is exaggerated by all the times he filled his boots against relegation fodder - I still remember him missing two sitters in the CL final against Barcelona, was pretty amusing really because I hate the Arsenal team under Wenger. Genuine top notch forwards wouldn't have missed those chances. Give anyone decent hatfuls of chances and they'll have a good scoring record, see forwards who play for Celtic/Rangers. [quote]

If you can remember the misses from the CL final, then maybe you'll remember the following as well: His two goals and two assists in the 5-1 demolition of Inter in the San Siro. When he ran from the halfway line and beat 4 or 5 Liverpool players to score and turn the game around. When he scored that amazing goal against Real Madrid in the Bernabeau in 2006. Two fine long range efforts against Man U, one of which is considered one of the best PL goals ever. Or the more than one occasion when he got standing ovations from opposing fans. Henry has a catalogue of wonder goals that maybe only Ronaldo comes close to. Not to mention the enormous, often league leading, number of assists. He was runner-up for the 2003 and 2004 FIFA World Player of the Year award and in those two seasons, he also won back-to-back PFA Players' Player of the Year titles. Henry is the only player ever to have won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year three times (2003, 2004, 2006), and the French Player of the Year on a record four occasions. Henry was voted into the Premier League Overseas Team of the Decade in the 10 Seasons Awards poll in 2003. Eveyone has their own opinion, but you are clearly in the minority here.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Steve Durney wrote:
He scored that many because, I'll repeat it in nice big letters for you, he was the focus of *every* attack. Funny how Arsenal is the only side where he's looked good and even then his scoring record is exaggerated by all the times he filled his boots against relegation fodder - I still remember him missing two sitters in the CL final against Barcelona, was pretty amusing really because I hate the Arsenal team under Wenger. Genuine top notch forwards wouldn't have missed those chances. Give anyone decent hatfuls of chances and they'll have a good scoring record, see forwards who play for Celtic/Rangers.

If you can remember the misses from the CL final, then maybe you'll remember the following as well: His two goals and two assists in the 5-1 demolition of Inter in the San Siro. When he ran from the halfway line and beat 4 or 5 Liverpool players to score and turn the game around. When he scored that amazing goal against Real Madrid in the Bernabeau in 2006. Two fine long range efforts against Man U, one of which is considered one of the best PL goals ever. Or the more than one occasion when he got standing ovations from opposing fans. Henry has a catalogue of wonder goals that maybe only Ronaldo comes close to. Not to mention the enormous, often league leading, number of assists. He was runner-up for the 2003 and 2004 FIFA World Player of the Year award and in those two seasons, he also won back-to-back PFA Players' Player of the Year titles. Henry is the only player ever to have won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year three times (2003, 2004, 2006), and the French Player of the Year on a record four occasions. Henry was voted into the Premier League Overseas Team of the Decade in the 10 Seasons Awards poll in 2003. Eveyone has their own opinion, but you are clearly in the minority here.
Couldn't give a shit about awards, because they're based on hype and that's the problem in the first place. Give anyone enough opportunities and they'll score 'wonder goals' (which you've no doubt exaggerated the description of) - saying he has more than anyone else is utterly ridiculous anyway. He is simply not in the same league as players like Ronaldo, Zidane etc. 1 goal every 2 games isn't anything special as far as Barcelona are concerned, this is a team that scores nearly 3 goals a game in La Liga and he's still behind Eto'o and Messi this season.

Perhaps you'd like to have a go explaining why he goes missing for France?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

So you've compared him to Ronaldo, Zidane, Eto'o and Messi at their peaks. Exactly how good do you expect him to be? Yes, he is quite possibly not as good as these players, although the only one who plays in his position is Eto'o, and I'd say Henry at his peak was better.

48 goals in 110 appearances for France.

I think you've decided not to like him despite all evidence pointing to him being one of the greatest players of this era. I don't know why.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Well, clearly Mr Beevers, you are not going to change your mind!

I've never bothered that much about awards, but when so many people who make their living from the game are all saying the same thing, you have to take notice. Why do you think there is so much hype about him and that it's untrue? For what reason would independent journalists and broadcasters heap praise on a French striker? Was he bunging them all some money? Did they all just fall for his Gaelic charms? Are you seeing something that football professionals and analysts are not? Do you know more about football then they do? Have you watched many matches that involve Henry, or even seen some clips of him on You Tube? Do you honestly think that just by making someone the 'focal point of attack' that they are automatically going to score so many goals and create so many for others? If so, why haven't Van Persie, Adebayor or Bendtner reached the same level or scored as many goals since? If he got 48 goals in 110 games for France when going missing, how many would he have got if he turned up? Did being France's leading scorer, despite playing on the wing and not having broken into the starting XI, when they won the World Cup count for nothing?

One thing is for certain - we needed him tonight!
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »