Wordplay on FIVE

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Wordplay on FIVE

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Anyone seen this new quiz on FIVE with Jenny Powell ?

Would be good for past/future Countdown contestants. I have been chosen to appear as a contestant in a month's time.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: Wordplay on FIVE

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yep saw the first show, figure a few Scrabblers will be on it too.

The final prize is pitiful though. They had all this bit with cheques and a safe that resembled a goldfish bowl and it's £500 if you win. I know it carries over if they don't win but even still - the godawful phone-in competitions they insist on dedicating half of each game show to have bigger prizes.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I've been watching this show since Tuesday and it seems a simple game to pick up. I have sent off an application form, so will keep my fingers crossed :).
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I'll give it a bash. Anyone know where the studios are? Londinium I presume...
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Adam Dexter wrote:I'll give it a bash. Anyone know where the studios are? Londinium I presume...
Does anyone know if FIVE have a watch again feature online or does anyone know where I could see a clip of this show as I'm at work when it's on. Many thanks.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

From what I understand, it has nothing to do with our Wordplay, but rather the Going for Gold round.

Now that I think about it, did the Going for Gold producers run out of ideas when they came up with the Wordplay round?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Does anyone know if FIVE have a watch again feature online or does anyone know where I could see a clip of this show as I'm at work when it's on. Many thanks.
Nope, FIVE don't have a watch online feature Kirk. You could pull a sickie :P then you can watch it :lol:
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:I'll give it a bash. Anyone know where the studios are? Londinium I presume...
Does anyone know if FIVE have a watch again feature online or does anyone know where I could see a clip of this show as I'm at work when it's on. Many thanks.
http://demand.five.tv/

No Wordplay though, probably due to the excessive amount of editing required to hack out the phone in competition stuff.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Craig Beevers wrote:Yep saw the first show, figure a few Scrabblers will be on it too.

The final prize is pitiful though. They had all this bit with cheques and a safe that resembled a goldfish bowl and it's £500 if you win. I know it carries over if they don't win but even still - the godawful phone-in competitions they insist on dedicating half of each game show to have bigger prizes.
Also there are 4 contestants to begin with and eventually 3 will lose. In Wordplay Plus at 2:50 pm, the 3 people who were on before and lost get to play one round again and the winner gets to come back for a second shot.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Countdown great Graham Nash was on the show yesterday, seems Jenny Falconer is the new host.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Countdown great Graham Nash was on the show yesterday, seems Jenny Falconer is the new host.
Thanks for that, I caught some of this show by chance yesterday and I was wondering whether it actually was him or not.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

I'll be applying for this fairly soon, looks pretty simple really, hard to win the jackpot though as the AKA and the common word can be pretty tricky and you only have 90 seconds at the end
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

How many of the intellectuals on these forums will be going on Five's new show, Britain’s Best Brain then?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:How many of the intellectuals on these forums will be going on Five's new show, Britain’s Best Brain then?
I won £5,000 on 'Perfect Recall' - Can I have a promotion please??
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Does anyone know if FIVE have a watch again feature online or does anyone know where I could see a clip of this show as I'm at work when it's on. Many thanks.
Nope, FIVE don't have a watch online feature Kirk. You could pull a sickie :P then you can watch it :lol:
HAVE YOU GOT A VI -DAY -O?

:D
Fool's top.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:How many of the intellectuals on these forums will be going on Five's new show, Britain’s Best Brain then?
Is there anyway I can watch this episode Sue? I only ever saw one of these (when Dan Peake was on) and it looked quite good, so watching you on there would be the perfect excuse to see another.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Is there anyway I can watch this episode Sue? I only ever saw one of these (when Dan Peake was on) and it looked quite good, so watching you on there would be the perfect excuse to see another.
Word on the street is that channel4ondemand will be adding old shows to its archives soon but I've just checked...not on there yet. My show aired on Tues Feb 3rd.

Hey, re:the Rob Thomas' 'I'm Leaving' thread...Charlie called you a cunt, you suggested 'smashing'. Can I volunteer the happy medium of 'Jon Corby - he's a smashing cunt'.....?
Fool's top.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Or alternatively, a cunt smasher?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Michael Wallace wrote:Or alternatively, a cunt smasher?
Rob leaves and 'cunt' goes into overdrive. Actually, that doesn't seem to read very well. Can we start using it as a verb? 'Rob had a point. The cunting was getting out of hand'
Fool's top.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Michael Wallace wrote:Or alternatively, a cunt smasher?
That would be wishful thinking from what I've heard! (insert yr own sarcastic font)
Sue Sanders wrote: My show aired on Tues Feb 3rd.
Let us know when it's available to watch! Did you have to restrain your sense of humour? Or Jeff?
Bet you weren't wearing the leathers... :( .... though some more recent entrants would look good in them!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

What happened to Brainteaser? Was is permanently canned? If so, when?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:What happened to Brainteaser? Was is permanently canned? If so, when?
I think it got killed during Antanddecgate, when questions were raised about the validity of its phone-ins.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Sue Sanders wrote: My show aired on Tues Feb 3rd.
Let us know when it's available to watch! Did you have to restrain your sense of humour? Or Jeff?
Bet you weren't wearing the leathers... :( .... though some more recent entrants would look good in them![/quote]

Not Jeff - Terry, It was Perfect Recall I was on, with the Wogemeister. He's lovely.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

None of them.

Well, not in the first week anyway.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:
None of them.

How does one apply? I can't find it on that link.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
None of them.

How does one apply? I can't find it on that link.
You've left it too late now. They've already filmed the first series. You'll have to hope there is a second one.

The show has that playalongathomeability (apart from a couple of physical rounds), so is good for us viewers to test our brain power and memory skills too.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sadly, according to Metro, although I can't find anything online, Britain's Best Brain has been axed after just the one series.