The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Andy Wilson »

Barry, Dawson, Huddlestone, Heskey, Parker, Warnock and either Wright Phillips or Johnson...?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Should have kept Johnson in, he just offers something different and he's certainly no worse than some who've made it and will require several miracles to see the subs bench all tournament.

Anyway Liverpool trying to get shot of the clown.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 142868.ece

Quality bit of journalism there where it says "Inter Milan ready to offer Benitez an escape route to Italy should he show any willingness to follow in the footsteps of Jose Mourinho, his managerial arch rival"
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Mourinho's arch shoe shiner has officially departed Liverpool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 719210.stm

I'm sure he'll be gutted having to carry suitcases of cash away from Anfield.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
YNWA Rafa!
I think he just did.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

If anyone fancies doing a fantasy league for the world cup, there's an official FIFA game here. It seems to work in a similar way to the premier league one. I haven't created any leagues or anything like that yet. Thought I'd gauge interest first.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Bishop wrote:If anyone fancies doing a fantasy league for the world cup, there's an official FIFA game here. It seems to work in a similar way to the premier league one. I haven't created any leagues or anything like that yet. Thought I'd gauge interest first.
I was thinking about this, but I've decided I'm just going to forget about Fantasy Football until next season - the last one turned into a bit too much effort, and I can imagine the same would happen if I went for a world cup one :P
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

sky sports have a pretty simple one here where which i've entered as a friend started a league... anyone want in?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:sky sports have a pretty simple one here where which i've entered as a friend started a league... anyone want in?
Aye, post a link!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Bump! Last minute... our local league here in Cork is 36643 if anyone wants to join. If there are enough and someone wants to chuck up a c4c league let me know (i assume i'll be able to join after it starts, i'm off out for the day there).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:Bump! Last minute... our local league here in Cork is 36643 if anyone wants to join. If there are enough and someone wants to chuck up a c4c league let me know (i assume i'll be able to join after it starts, i'm off out for the day there).
Assuming there's no C4C league, I'm in.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well, the fixtures for 2010-11 are out.

Liverpool vs Arsenal on Day 1 seems tasty, as does Man Utd vs Newcastle and Man City vs Spurs.

Even better is Notts County vs Huddersfield Town.

And at least the fixture gods have been kind to make us play Southampton twice before the end of this year. :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:sky sports have a pretty simple one here where which i've entered as a friend started a league... anyone want in?
Seems to me that the three entrants from here hold the top three positions at the moment :D
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yeah... brilliant! James is gonna take the lead if France keep a clean sheet later after Higuain's great game today. Surprised there's no bonus for a hat trick actually. I have to lay off the subs for a bit and make sure i don't take players into the knockout who are knocked out or suspended. If anyone still wants in go for it. You get 15 substitutions for the group stage and the scoring so far is pretty low so you could still manage your way into the thick of it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Hodgson is the new Liverpool boss.
Well at least they won't get relegated.
Cue the mass exodus.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Man for the job imo. Just be worried now about how his relationship with the yanks develops. I reckon he should take Damien Duff with him.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Looks like there might be a new King Kenny for Liverpool fans to hail before this season begins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 876510.stm

So, just picking my fantasy team for this year there... anyone want in to the c4c league? Can we get double figures this season? Matt, do you need to reset the league and give us a new code or something?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Gaelic is football over here, so instead of making a new thread I thought I'd say Down to win the All-Ireland after a comprehensive victory over Kildare in the semis (sorry Liam).
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I don't really follow the gaa, but Dublin in a semi final has me slightly excited, especially as they've been drawn against Cork, my adopted home county! I noticed a guy in a Dublin Jersey on Saturday afternoon at the festival (in Skibereen), and when I was leaving on Sunday morning I found it discarded in the campsite mashed into the ground :P
Kerry being gone is cool, as they would probably have been favourites right?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Yep, big favourites.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Same code should work without me needing to reset anything Andy (et al) but remind me again soon if you have a go and it doesn't work. Also, I seem to remember I didn't set it up anyway, I've just become the publicist.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:Same code should work without me needing to reset anything Andy (et al) but remind me again soon if you have a go and it doesn't work. Also, I seem to remember I didn't set it up anyway, I've just become the publicist.
What is the code please?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Doohan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Same code should work without me needing to reset anything Andy (et al) but remind me again soon if you have a go and it doesn't work. Also, I seem to remember I didn't set it up anyway, I've just become the publicist.
What is the code please?
Search this thread you blouse! :) If you can't find, I'll search. I'm just lazy. Search lazy, not type lazy, obviously.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Doohan wrote:
What is the code please?
Search this thread you blouse! :) If you can't find, I'll search. I'm just lazy. Search lazy, not type lazy, obviously.
Right, the code doesn't work, any one interested in starting a new c4c league? Too much responsibility for me :roll:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Code to join this league: 728758-166250

Don't worry if this is the same code I gave you earlier Doohan. Had to renew the league (turns out I AM the admin, who knew!) so should definitely work now. Currently just me, Andy, and Oli.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:Code to join this league: 728758-166250

Don't worry if this is the same code I gave you earlier Doohan. Had to renew the league (turns out I AM the admin, who knew!) so should definitely work now. Currently just me, Andy, and Oli.
Cheers Matt, joined
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

URL pls kthx
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Back to defend my title.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Martin Bishop wrote:Back to defend my title.
And I am back to prop up the bottom of the table! Last season's strategy (set up team, tinker a bit in the first few weeks, completely forget about it for ten weeks or so, try to rescue the situation, fail, forget about it again) proved ultimately ineffective, so this season I'm planning on not forgetting about it quite so soon or for quite so long. This should ensure I still come last, but by a smaller margin.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bloody hell, it's tough to pick a decent team.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Over double last seasons entrants already! Woohoo!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

The Bad Mastards are in.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Psychic Octochamp FC have been promoted from the deep abyss to the C4C league, and have predicted for themselves a top table finish.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Chamakheads now entered. Just a question of whether I can be bothered to update it every week! Good to see there's already nearly three times more entries than last season. The more the merrier!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Great effort all.

I'm trying this IKTS (I Know The Score) predictions game for the first time this year.
It's all part of the same site, no additional registration required, free, might be fun, prizes to be won, etc.

Have set up a C4C league for this too:

Mini-League Joining Code:
Give this code to players that you wish to invite to your league: FA98A-OVD
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

On the ball Matt! Might give that a go. Martin O'Neill going is a bit of a shock, especially straight after the Keane and Ireland (who I'd be delighted was playing with Keane if he was interested in playing for his country, but now he can go feck himself) signings. Good move for Robbie and Villa I think. Almost as many clubs as Páidraig Harrington at this stage, but he could do some damage if he keeps his place there and I hope he does.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

* bump * in case its slipped anyone's mind, seeing as kickoff is less than 48 hours away
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Wow! 18 players, just 2 more to make 20 like the Premiership.

Maybe we could do the head to head style league aswell?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt,

would you be able to set up a head to head league, some of the aptolanders were talking about it and it be cool set-up?

sorry Eoin, didn't see the bottom of your post above :oops:
Last edited by James Doohan on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Wow! 18 players, just 2 more to make 20 like the Premiership.

Maybe we could do the head to head style league aswell?
Ooh, does that exist? That'd be brill!

Anyone know how to make the damn thing stop jumping from data view to graphic view? ANd I'll get my whinges in now about my hatred of the valuation-changing model. How quickly do they change? On the Guardian a few years ago, if you missed an important bit of news by a couple of hours, the player's value either crashed or soared horribly and the boat was missed by all but the most hardcore players.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Doohan wrote:Matt, would you be able to set up a head to head league, some of the aptolanders were talking about it and it be cool set-up?
Thanks James and Eoin for pointing that out - big thanks, is it new? I've never spotted it before.
A great idea. I've limited the head to head league as 20 places (Premiership-like and all that, not that it is likely to matter as we only have 18 in the main league).

C4C H2H Code to join this league: 728758-286614
Please everyone join this fucker! You have to do it independently of the main league (the code for which Dangerous Doohan has repeated a few posts above)
Ian Volante wrote:Anyone know how to make the damn thing stop jumping from data view to graphic view? ANd I'll get my whinges in now about my hatred of the valuation-changing model. How quickly do they change? On the Guardian a few years ago, if you missed an important bit of news by a couple of hours, the player's value either crashed or soared horribly and the boat was missed by all but the most hardcore players.
Never had this problem Ian - til you said it I'd never even clicked on Data View, so fuck knows. Valuation changing is not so bad here. Players only go up or down a maximum of 0.1 mil (per week, I guess... also this is a guess in general, my point being simply that it isn't massive fluctuation)... the strange thing is (unless I've been wrong assessing this, or it's changed) is that you seem to transfer players at the value you picked them up rather than the value they are at when you transfer them (outgoing players). I really am probably making that up though, it sounds stupid. Ignore that.

In other news: GET EXCITED.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

FUCK YOU MORRISON!!!!

I meant to say cheers ya legend, dunno how that happened? :lol: Top work, you too Eoin
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Can't find the head to head link! Where is it?

EDIT: Worked it out, I just enter the code as per the original method.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Doohan wrote:Matt, would you be able to set up a head to head league, some of the aptolanders were talking about it and it be cool set-up?
Thanks James and Eoin for pointing that out - big thanks, is it new? I've never spotted it before.
A great idea. I've limited the head to head league as 20 places (Premiership-like and all that, not that it is likely to matter as we only have 18 in the main league).

C4C H2H Code to join this league: 728758-286614
Please everyone join this fucker! You have to do it independently of the main league (the code for which Dangerous Doohan has repeated a few posts above)
Ian Volante wrote:Anyone know how to make the damn thing stop jumping from data view to graphic view? ANd I'll get my whinges in now about my hatred of the valuation-changing model. How quickly do they change? On the Guardian a few years ago, if you missed an important bit of news by a couple of hours, the player's value either crashed or soared horribly and the boat was missed by all but the most hardcore players.
Never had this problem Ian - til you said it I'd never even clicked on Data View, so fuck knows. Valuation changing is not so bad here. Players only go up or down a maximum of 0.1 mil (per week, I guess... also this is a guess in general, my point being simply that it isn't massive fluctuation)... the strange thing is (unless I've been wrong assessing this, or it's changed) is that you seem to transfer players at the value you picked them up rather than the value they are at when you transfer them (outgoing players). I really am probably making that up though, it sounds stupid. Ignore that.

In other news: GET EXCITED.
*bump*

Will everyone who entered the original please join this, seems like a great format
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Is it too late for me to enter :?:
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

James Robinson wrote:Is it too late for me to enter :?:
Not at all, the more the merrier, don't forget to enter both the normal league and the head to head
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Join James, that way we'd have th round number of 20!

Edit: Good thing I snuck on the computer to join before I go. :)
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Join James, that way we'd have th round number of 20!

Edit: Good thing I snuck on the computer to join before I go. :)
Nice one Eoin, yeah 20 would awesome for the head to head league, just like the premiership
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'll PM everyone who hasn't joined H2H.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

You can join the league after Saturday also... or in a few weeks or at any time in the season if you're late, so if anyone wants to join later, don't hesitate. Obviously, you'll be playing catch up though.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

James Doohan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:C4C H2H Code to join this league: 728758-286614
*bump*

Will everyone who entered the original please join this, seems like a great format
Have done so. I was in a head to head league and a normal league last season and the head to head one doesn't really produce much of a different result - the top few and bottom few tend to be in the same order, with a bit of shuffling around in the middle places. Nevertheless, it's good fun to have weekly rivalries so is definitely worth doing.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James' Terriers have joined the party. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Tom Rowell, Adam Gillard, Edward McCullagh, Richard Brittain and Rachel Dixon are the last few forumers needed to make the head to head league equal to the C4C league, please do it soon :) :)

yay, Ed is in :) :)
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

If today's result doesn't get a certain Countdown producer posting again, nothing will. ;)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

David Roe wrote:If today's result doesn't get a certain Countdown producer posting again, nothing will. ;)
Top of the league! Must be a beautiful sight!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I knew my gamble on Blackpool defender Baptiste would pay off... 8-)
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

At the last minute i swapped the captaincy from Tevez (2pts) to Malouda (15pts). Woo hoo!
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I just tried to join the H2H league but it said it wasn't accepting any new entries. So I guess I missed the boat on that one. Still, I'm top of the normal league after the first day. Probably be the first and last time, but still...
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."