Crazy theories that need debunking

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Crazy theories that need debunking

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ok i cant be the only one that has theories that we believe that have nothing in evidence to back them up or discredit as far as you know.
1) all wonen have the same amount of eggs in their lifetime, ergo if you menstruate first at a young age you will have your menopause early.

2) if time travels in a slight curve(?) does that mean we will eventually end up vack to where we started?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Crazy theories that need debunking

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:15 am
1) all wonen have the same amount of eggs in their lifetime, ergo if you menstruate first at a young age you will have your menopause early.
Is this a commonly held belief? I've never heard it. It is nonsense. There you are - debunked!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 am
Is this a commonly held belief? I've never heard it. It is nonsense. There you are - debunked!
With all due respect to yourself Fiona, you saying its nonsense isnt enough to debunk it..
My evidence is based on family members and i read that eggs are predetermined before puberty, i think
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:34 am
Fiona T wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 am
With all due respect to yourself Fiona, you saying its nonsense isnt enough to debunk it..
My evidence is based on family members and i read that eggs are predetermined before puberty, i think
You think all women have the same number of eggs? You've counted the eggs of your family members?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

No not counted but my sister did not start her first period until she was sixteen and went through the menopause later than her friends other members of our family in age.

I also used to think that male and female sperms were in seperate bags
The ancient egyptians were with me on that.

Also first born children look most like their bioligical fathers i held that belief for years and as one of 6 children with as many aunts and uncles and cousins to go on as evidence and i had a ninety percent success rate but i thought i wouldnt include those 😊
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 am No not counted but my sister did not start her first period until she was sixteen and went through the menopause later than her friends other members of our family in age.
This sounds like it takes the assumption that there are only about 500 eggs, and once you run out, that's it. However, there are thousands of eggs, most of which never get used; the onset and end of fertility are determined by hormone levels, which are further determined by numerous other factors. The most obvious one I'm aware of is the relation of puberty onset to weight
[https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/ ... ent_3/S208].
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles