Sarah Everard/Women's Safety

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Re: Sarah Everard/Women's Safety

Post by Fred Mumford »

I thought the heavy media focus was because of the murderer's occupation rather than the ethnicity of the victim.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:09 pm I thought the heavy media focus was because of the murderer's occupation rather than the ethnicity of the victim.
Didn't it start before they caught him?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I don't recall, I only follow media coverage of murders in great detail when I'm in the frame as a suspect myself.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Wanted for murder:

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Had to get the ghosts from somewhere.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On Question Time last time Ella Whelan (generally has weird politics but I think she had a point here) was saying that most violence against women is domestic violence and this type of attack was very rare - and Fiona Bruce pointed out that men are more likely to be attacked by women. And anyway, Ella Whelan didn't think it was right that women are basically told that they have to be scared to go anywhere.

And ultimately, I think she's right. You can't just turn off your emotions and if you're out alone you can't just say "I'm not going to be scared". But this goes back to the media's reaction about it. They were essentially telling people to be scared. There's the right way to report things. Like if some commits suicide and it's in the news, they don't tend to menton suicide, though they might hint at it by saying e.g. they were depressed. Because they don't want people to react the wrong way and think that suicide is a valid way out. And the same here. Report as the serious news story it is but get the balance right. You don't want to make people more scared. But that's what they did.

What I'm saying is that while my all-guns-blazing approach might have annoyed people and while I probably did back down a bit for a quiet life, the way it was written aside, I still think I was basically right about this. (I haven't reread any of this thread though.)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thankfully, this is rare that someone in a high profile job in a position of trust has carried out rape and murder.
Its normally Paedophiles that do this.
The scariest aspect of this is that it kinda happened because of Covid as he was trawling the streets knowing that any females out alone could be arrested.
Oppertunity for evil people is all that is required.
With that in mind nobody should go trick or treating alone
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT