Reasons to be cheerful because of the pandemic

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Reasons to be cheerful because of the pandemic

Post by Marc Meakin »

Every cloud.
Trump probably lost because of postal voting which wouldnt have happened in such great numbers pre Covid.
More quality films and TV are accessible ( most legally 😊) and more time to watch.
For everyone who wants to write their first novel then now is the best time to start.
More recognition for key workers, by which i specifically mean supermarket workers.
More people have overcome phobias of the internet and are shopping online.
Teachers will be appreciated more.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Reasons to be cheerful because of the pandemic

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Not having a job seems more reasonable.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've saved approximately 300 hours of time spent on trains commuting to work and re-invested that into time asleep.

I expect more acceptance of working from home in general, which means many future hours will be saved as well.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 pm I've saved approximately 300 hours of time spent on trains commuting to work and re-invested that into time asleep.

I expect more acceptance of working from home in general, which means many future hours will be saved as well.
I used to get the train to work. That was a good time to sleep I thought.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 am Every cloud.
Trumo probably tost because of postal voting which wouldnt have happened in such great numbers pre Covid.
More quality films and TV are accessible ( most legally 😊) and more time to watch.
For everyone who wants to write their first novel then now is the best time to start.
More recognition for key workers, by which i specifically mean supermarket workers.
More people have overcome phobias of the internet and are shopping online.
Teachers will be appreciated more.
I've got more time to proof read my posts 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Oh and you get to see surreal classics like the Texas judge with the cat filter on the zoom call.
Hilarious
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56009062
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:37 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 pm I've saved approximately 300 hours of time spent on trains commuting to work and re-invested that into time asleep.

I used to get the train to work. That was a good time to sleep I thought.
Ten minute journey with no seat - not ideal!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I don't find any reasons to be cheerful. Video calling is not for me and I loathe being stuck at home, especially when it's my parents' home thanks to a stupid decision on my part back in March (no Uni, may as well go back to mum's for a bit, it's cheaper, this will only last for a few weeks, right?) and subsequent pseudo-graduation.

But there are a lot of things I will never complain about again. Shitty club music. Overcrowding. Surrey being unable to bowl out tailenders. Fulham not bothering to defend properly. I will just be glad to be able to see these things again.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Been able to do uni online (I haven't stepped foot on campus since the course started in September), which has been a lot better for my job (which I prefer doing), has let me save on commuting, and is much easier for my introverted head to deal with. Faith has grown stronger as well. On a personal level, a time of crisis has seen God become a true crutch. My church has seen more members and there is hope it might result in more people having found faith. Along with that, there might be a more respected adherence to the concept of personal space. If anything, 2m was a reduction in the distance I'd want strangers to keep from me :)
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

My Italy-based aunt and her two daughters (so my cousins) have this annoying thing of kissing on both cheeks when we meet. Yeah, that's now been fucked off forever. Can't take any chances!
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Normally I get a cold at some point during winter, but haven't so far this year. Probably not a coincidence.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Soppy alert, but spending the first few months of newborn's life is time I will always be thankful for.

With our first, it was 2 weeks off running around looking after both mother and baby (off?), then back to work. She slept from about 8pm so I only saw her for about 10 hours a week + weekends doing errands.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The California Attractions and Parks Association is behind a plan to encourage riders to remain silent while on rollercoasters to prevent the spread of the covid. A whole rollercoaster full of people having a Mr Bean expression would be a good thing in my book.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jorts the cat.

Seriously, read the story and related updates if you aren't already aware of Jorts and Jean. Stuff like this is what the Internet was made for.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Making people constantly repeat themselves for my pleasure, at work, because I can't hear them when they ask stoopid shopping related questions
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »