Best steak restaurants

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Fiona T
Kiloposter

Best steak restaurants

Post by Fiona T »

For balance :)

Can't beat Hawksmoor - not cheap but for a special occasion definitely worth it!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Best steak restaurants

Post by Ian Volante »

Never particularly enjoyed steak. Have once or twice spent twenty-odd quid on one, still would have preferred a nice pie or something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

:) I've never been to one myself, and I suppose I'm now unlikely ever to, but I've heard that Miller & Carter are good.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Meat is murder 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Since I became a pollopescatarian 2.5 years ago, steak as a treat is one of the things I miss most. And pulled pork. And a Big Mac. And anything involving chorizo.

Best steak I had was at a place called La Relais de Venise. Very "city" place but not unreasonably priced. The whole menu is steak and chips and a side salad.

I've done Hawksmoor and the like for work functions. For free, it's great.
Jonathan Willis

Post by Jonathan Willis »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:29 pm Since I became a pollopescatarian 2.5 years ago, steak as a treat is one of the things I miss most. And pulled pork. And a Big Mac. And anything involving chorizo.

Best steak I had was at a place called La Relais de Venise. Very "city" place but not unreasonably priced. The whole menu is steak and chips and a side salad.

What is a pollopescatarian?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jonathan Willis wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:38 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:29 pm Since I became a pollopescatarian 2.5 years ago, steak as a treat is one of the things I miss most. And pulled pork. And a Big Mac. And anything involving chorizo.

It's someone who comes up with a completely arbitrary subset of foods that they're allowed to eat and then finds that they miss certain foods, seemingly not realising that they could instead allow themselves to eat a different arbitrary subset and not miss those things, and make up a new word for that.

Hope that helps.
Jonathan Willis

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 pm

It's someone who comes up with a completely arbitrary subset of foods that they're allowed to eat and then finds that they miss certain foods, seemingly not realising that they could instead allow themselves to eat a different arbitrary subset and not miss those things, and make up a new word for that.

Hope that helps.
What the bollocks are you talking about :o
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jonathan Willis wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Hope that helps.
What the bollocks are you talking about :o
Vegetarian + fish + chicken. Apologies if that didn't come across in my post.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Peak c4c. The one thing I miss is bacon sandwiches. The smell of bacon cooking on a morning is cruel to me.
Jonathan Willis

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:15 pm Peak c4c. The one thing I miss is bacon sandwiches. The smell of bacon cooking on a morning is cruel to me.
Are you vegan?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:04 pm Never particularly enjoyed steak. Have once or twice spent twenty-odd quid on one, still would have preferred a nice pie or something.
Exactly this, see my post in the other thread. Pie is great because #variety.

I have been to fancy steak places a few times courtesy of an ex who liked that kind of stuff, there was one in Leeds which google maps has told me is called Blackhouse which was pretty nice but cost like £100 for two of us. Other steak at a proper steak place I've had was one in Bath with a mate who's a chef, at a place called Bar + Block which was apparently good steak despite being built in to the Premier Inn. I say apparently because if this and my other post weren't clear, I'm really not a good judge of this stuff.

Thanks to googling 'steak restaurants leeds' I'm reminded of this Brazilian place my ex and I went to called Fazenda, which had this meaty buffet thing which we both loved - her for the meat, and me for the variety, see my post in the vegan thread. So I guess I recommend Fazenda, for being a steak restaurant that had options for the less steakily inclined (me).
cheers maus
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

I quite like a steak à cheval, and was rather disappointed to learn two minutes ago that it doesn't actually contain any horse.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Yeah Fazenda is good for variety-loving meat eaters.