Genius things

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin »

As an antithesis of joke items i thought i would be positive and ' big up' new things that are good.
I will start with drone ' fireworks displays' all the beauty without the noise.
I hope this will be the norm when things get back to normal
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Genius things

Post by Mark James »

Me
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

parkrun
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 amparkrun
Is that better than Parkour?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:34 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 amparkrun
Is that better than Parkour?
Probably.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
I do like the concept of ring doorbells but we had a case of kids playing knock down ginger on a neighbors house and it nearly came to getting the police involved over posting pictures of the perpetrators on social media breaking privacy laws.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Cheap go pro style cameras you can attach to your pets for hours of fun..... as long as your pet gives you permission obvs.

Also those usb portable juicers/smoothie makers as long as you drain the power befor cleaning it..... How we laughed on the way to A and E 😂
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
Genuine question - what's so good about LED lamps?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 am LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
Why just lamps?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 am LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
Why just lamps?
Maybe Jono will enlighten us 🙂
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I meant lamp in a more generic sense. Not sure why I chose that word.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm I meant lamp in a more generic sense. Not sure why I chose that word.
Lamp as in light bulb.
I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
When I worked in maintenance, back in the day before the wheels came off, only electricians called bulbs lamps.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

What3words
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can see if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.

LEDs are a huge leap forward this century though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ian Volante wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can see if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.
As for the landlords - well, yes, that's regrettable, but if you make something much more convenient you are making it more convenient for bad guys. A criminal might use an LED torch to rob you but it's not the LED's fault.

As for the privacy - unless you think they're selling that data to burglars then it's no different to something like using Facebook. Unless I'm missing something...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

And while I'm here - the vaccines one. Obviously they're really good and life-saving etc. but I see it as too boring and serious for this type of thread. You thought you were above criticism for that one, but no - you've been rumbled.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Those guys from kent who have invented/adapted wind powered electricity for motorway lighting signs etc.
The genius behind it is that the slipstream of a vehicles trajectory will always generate the neccessary wind to power the electricity
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?
Significant reduction in global carbon emissions and cheaper and longer-lasting than what they replace. Something actually useful that won a Nobel prize. And, even more important, last year's Christmas tree lights work first time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:37 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?
Significant reduction in global carbon emissions and cheaper and longer-lasting than what they replace. Something actually useful that won a Nobel prize. And, even more important, last year's Christmas tree lights work first time.
Are they much more efficient than your regular energy-saving light bulbs?
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
I and everyone I know locally would call it a lightbulb or a bulb - not a lamp. I wonder whether it's dialectal (West Mids/Worcestershire here). A lamp in my mind would conjure up a heat lamp rather than a lightbulb. The little flat ones are called spotlights - are we at least agreed on that?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think of a desk lamp. I had to look up heat lamp.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Adam Dexter wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
I and everyone I know locally would call it a lightbulb or a bulb - not a lamp. I wonder whether it's dialectal (West Mids/Worcestershire here). A lamp in my mind would conjure up a heat lamp rather than a lightbulb. The little flat ones are called spotlights - are we at least agreed on that?
All i can say on the matter is if i go into an electrical wholesalers and ask for a replacenent lamp for my spotlight they will immediately know what i mean
however I'm sure if you asked for a bulb they wouldn't neccesarily say ' what to plant in a garden' like the electrician i worked with in the early nineties 😊
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Sliced bread
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Screenshots.
With my abilities with tech being poor at best, the screenshot has been a godsend especially with two concurrent incidents of self isolation
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Parking sensors
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can do if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.
As for the landlords - well, yes, that's regrettable, but if you make something much more convenient you are making it more convenient for bad guys. A criminal might use an LED torch to rob you but it's not the LED's fault.

As for the privacy - unless you think they're selling that data to burglars then it's no different to something like using Facebook. Unless I'm missing something...
I'm certainly not arguing against progress as a way of avoiding nefarious use; that would be silly.

I think it's more that they're selling the data at all that I find problematic. As for Facebook, if people want to announce to the world what they're doing every five minutes, more fool them, but at least that's their choice.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:37 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can do if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.

I'm certainly not arguing against progress as a way of avoiding nefarious use; that would be silly.

I think it's more that they're selling the data at all that I find problematic. As for Facebook, if people want to announce to the world what they're doing every five minutes, more fool them, but at least that's their choice.
I did a bit more reading and what they are/were doing (article from early 2020) does sound pretty scandalous. However, my outrage with companies doing stuff like this is academic, in the sense that I don't care that they're selling my data personally. Maybe I should vote with my feet and boycott it, but to be honest my ire is outweighed significantly by even one of the instances I have enjoyed of not having to get out of bed bollock naked on a Saturday morning to go and answer the door.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?
They ping your phone when someone's at your door.
The doorbell has a camera, speaker and microphone built in, so you can see/speak to the person at your door from your phone.

Adding to the list...

Google Maps/StreetView.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
I was going to ask if regular fold-out maps were too big and unwieldy for you, but then I remembered how big your phone was.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?
They ping your phone when someone's at your door.
The doorbell has a camera, speaker and microphone built in, so you can see/speak to the person at your door from your phone.
So you can tell people you're not in rather than letting them infer it from the non-response. Game changer.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

This banter.
Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
I was going to ask if regular fold-out maps were too big and unwieldy for you, but then I remembered how big your phone was.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Yeah, it's more that the "You are here" marker doesn't seem to move in real time on those big physical maps.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Exciting news about fusion power.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:41 pm Exciting news about fusion power.
I wonder if the government can tax this?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:53 pm
Callum Todd wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:41 pm Exciting news about fusion power.
I wonder if the government can tax this?
They already do tax energy supply.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

This sounds promising
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The electric motor, when first invented in the 19th(?) century. Not obvious to orient a coil and a magnet that way.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.