Have you put weight on during lockdown

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Have you put weight on during lockdown

Post by Marc Meakin »

Having spent the first 6 weeks of furlough watching TV or movies on my phone or tablet I put on over a stone .
So for the last 3 weeks I've been averaging 15,000 steps a day and eating healthy and watching my macros.
I've lost half of the stone I've put on and hope to at least get back to my pre covid weight before I unfurlough next month.
I was curious if I'm in the minority here having out on so much weight
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Re: Have you put weight on during lockdown

Post by Dan Byrom »

I've been running more.

Lost about a stone!
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Dan Byrom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 am I've been running more.

Lost about a stone!
Congrats! See you at some co-event parkruns next year then ;)

Similar story here, though it was a conscious ambition - WFH helped as much as running imo as I am far less tired generally.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Roughly half-a-stone upwards. Have been walking a lot more, but that has been far outweighed (no pun intended) by me being slumped behind my laptop, playing Apto, steadily reducing my household's supply of biscuits.
England's most socially-awkward churchgoer
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

A little more maybe, but that's mostly due to an almost complete lack of activity since December - I wasn't in the head space to do my usual yoga/circuits/cycling/korfball training, and then I badly sprained my ankle in a match. Lockdown's been a good chance to reset and consider my future activity.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

No. If anything I've lost weight because I tend to weigh less in the summer and more in the winter.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have found it harder to lose weight since I became a veggie in January and this diet I'm on (Team RH fitness ) relies on a higher protein and fibre intake.
The fibre is easy but the protein less so and I am reluctant to rely on Whey powder
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I have, but I appear to be the only person in my circles who has.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

I had put on weight, but I just shaved for the first time since lockdown and that must have shed the weight again.
Dave Robjohns
Rookie

Post by Dave Robjohns »

Typically all of my exercise is social stuff like tennis/rounders etc as I can never motivate myself consistently to run/cycle etc alone, so lockdown and distancing culling uni combined with comfort eating has somewhat ruined me... up a strong 5 stone over 2020! Not optimistic for lockdown 3.0...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Technically I've lost 9lbs but i wasover a stone lighter after furlough in August
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Dave Robjohns wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 pm Typically all of my exercise is social stuff like tennis/rounders etc as I can never motivate myself consistently to run/cycle etc alone, so lockdown and distancing culling uni combined with comfort eating has somewhat ruined me... up a strong 5 stone over 2020! Not optimistic for lockdown 3.0...
Do you have a regular circle of friends that you usually play tennis/rounders with? If so, maybe try seeing up something you can do virtually with them. In the first lockdown a group of my mates set up a 'distance league' on an app. They used Under Armour's MapMyRun but something like Strava would work too. It became a bit of a competition as to who could rack up the most km/miles, and got everyone talking about their walks/runs/cycles. It felt like social group exercise, despite the fact we were all technically doing it alone.

I think (please correct if wrong) that you can still exercise outdoors with one person from another household in this lockdown so that should help too.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah I was a little overweight at the start of 2020 and fairly motivated to do something about it. I've now added a stone and got good intentions but zero motivation. I actually feel quite ashamed of myself. Must do better.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am Yeah I was a little overweight at the start of 2020 and fairly motivated to do something about it. I've now added a stone and got good intentions but zero motivation. I actually feel quite ashamed of myself. Must do better.
My advice is to buy a fitbit or use a step counter app.
Use every wasted minute ( usually an add break) to march up and down your living room or on the spot and you can easily hit 15,000 steps which is a step in the right direction and drink at least 2 litres of water
It helped me loose a stone in weight until a knee injury stopped me and i put on half a stone 😞
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Dunno if it's age just catching up, but I only really started to put on weight when I started playing Apto. I'm much more determined this year to be as active as I used to be. Sitting motionless on the couch is self-evidently gonna increase your waistline.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Getting much less exercise overall, but also eating a lot less food and generally eating healthier. I think being in the house all the time has made it easier to plan healthy meals with fresh ingredients.

I found myself eating a lot less wfh than when in the office.
1) There's quite a lot of social snacking In offices (e.g. bringing in a cake or bringing some chocolate back from your trip to the shop to share)
2) Quite a lot of social lunching which often involved going to the market stall and getting enormous portions for lunch.

The thing I am most happy about over lockdown is having reduced my caffeine dependency. I can get by for the day with one big cup in the morning now. Used to need 2 or 3 a day!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

JackHurst wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:36 pm Getting much less exercise overall, but also eating a lot less food and generally eating healthier. I think being in the house all the time has made it easier to plan healthy meals with fresh ingredients.

I found myself eating a lot less wfh than when in the office.
1) There's quite a lot of social snacking In offices (e.g. bringing in a cake or bringing some chocolate back from your trip to the shop to share)
2) Quite a lot of social lunching which often involved going to the market stall and getting enormous portions for lunch.

The thing I am most happy about over lockdown is having reduced my caffeine dependency. I can get by for the day with one big cup in the morning now. Used to need 2 or 3 a day!
Oh I just realised this post didn't answer the question...
I think I've lost about half a stone.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am Yeah I was a little overweight at the start of 2020 and fairly motivated to do something about it. I've now added a stone and got good intentions but zero motivation. I actually feel quite ashamed of myself. Must do better.
Following another half stone gain over December and January, I gave myself a kick up the backside at the beginning of February - started logging food on MPF and started a running plan, as well as cutting back on the booze which had got out of hand. Have shifted two stone over the last three months, and am comfortably back in the normal BMI range, and running 5K again. Feel a lot better for it too :)
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

I've lost any weight I had put on just from doing renovations, not sitting as much. I need a new belt hole