Dubs or Subs

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Dubs or Subs

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've been watching Money Heist on Netflix , it's a Spanish made series that's very good and I chose to watched a dubbed version as i am using my phone to watch it and the subs are too small.
I noticed some of the dubbed voice actors are a lot better than others but I'm sticking with it are it's not a show that warrants great dramatic acting.
Usually I would always watch foreign language films.
The only other time I have been impressed with dubbed audio is in the German Sci-Fi Dark

It got me wondering if all the decent out of work actors were given the opportunity to dub all the foreign language classics into English would more people watch the likes of Parasite and Portrait of a Woman on Fire ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Re: Dubs or Subs

Post by Andy McGurn »

Well, I would say it’s the other way. I watch loads of foreign language films subtitled but would never want to watch dubbed versions.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Andy McGurn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 pm Well, I would say it’s the other way. I watch loads of foreign language films subtitled but would never want to watch dubbed versions.
If it's a film I do too but my Netflix only works on my phone so I lazily go for dubbed audio
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Subs, absolutely no question, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't watch a lot of foreign-language films, but if someone overdubbed the Portuguese bits of the Senna film, that would just be sacrilege.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Pubs
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:37 amPubs
Secret lock in ?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I can't imagine wanting to watch anything, especially a film, so desperately that I would resort to watching it on a phone.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:54 pm I can't imagine wanting to watch anything, especially a film, so desperately that I would resort to watching it on a phone.
There is nothing like the big screen as a medium to watch a film , however back in the good old days (March)
when I spent an hour each way commuting to work , my phone or tablet was the perfect medium for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime.
I don't have either on my TV so I still watch the odd show/film online
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:54 pm I can't imagine wanting to watch anything, especially a film, so desperately that I would resort to watching it on a phone.
I don't really agree with this. You can hold the phone a few inches from your face, with good headphones, and it's like being in the IMAX.

It reminds me of when some film makers were kicking off that Netflix added the option to speed up playback. It's a bit like complaining that there's a brightness setting on a TV. The brain is quite powerful at adapting to a quicker pace, up to a certain point (which I'm sure is different for everyone.. but I love having that flexibility).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I watch stuff on my phone.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Watching Money Heist and the British schoolgirl who is the ambassador's daughter was recanting a story that took place in Nor Witch instead of Norwich.
So the dubs do have flaws
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:46 am Watching Money Heist and the British schoolgirl who is the ambassador's daughter was recanting a story that took place in Nor Witch instead of Norwich.
So the dubs do have flaws
Well, at least she recanted.