Understanding Asperger's

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Understanding Asperger's

Post by Marc Meakin »

I see Donald Trump and the right wing American media has been referring to Greta Thunberg's Asperger's as a mental illness.
Can't believe in the 21st Century , adults are still so ignorant
Admittedly until my daughter's diagnosis , I was ignorant of her behaviours and referred to them as symptoms.
Ironically it's only through her that I have come to realise I am on the spectrum.
I don't know what needs to be done (apart from impeaching Trump and getting a proper president )
How do you feel we can educate everyone ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Re: Understanding Asperger's

Post by Paul Worsley »

Just to be clear, Trump and the right wing American media have NOT been referring to Greta Thurnberg's Asperger's as a mental illness.

Political commentator Michael J Knowles disgracefully referred to her as a "mentally ill Swedish child", but he has been criticised by the American media, including Fox News, who apologised to Thunberg and their viewers.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:08 pm Just to be clear, Trump and the right wing American media have NOT been referring to Greta Thurnberg's Asperger's as a mental illness.

Political commentator Michael J Knowles disgracefully referred to her as a "mentally ill Swedish child", but he has been criticised by the American media, including Fox News, who apologised to Thunberg and their viewers.
Glad that's been cleared up .
Just one man , fair enough
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I think it's true that political and media rhetoric around mental health in general is almost universally shitty, but it seems to me that their ignorance of Asperger's only reflects that of the wider public.

Through years spent in this community many of us have probably had more interactions with people with Asperger's than most, but I for one still don't really know anything at all about it.

How (if at all) does it relate/differ to autism? Is it even accurate to categorise autism as a 'mental illness'?

I simply have no idea, despite having had many friends over the years with Asperger's. Whilst I admit my ignorance of the subject is greater than it should be, I don't believe it's any greater than the vast majority of people, even those with friends with Asperger's. Maybe better education is needed, I dunno.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm I think it's true that political and media rhetoric around mental health in general is almost universally shitty, but it seems to me that their ignorance of Asperger's only reflects that of the wider public.

Through years spent in this community many of us have probably had more interactions with people with Asperger's than most, but I for one still don't really know anything at all about it.

How (if at all) does it relate/differ to autism? Is it even accurate to categorise autism as a 'mental illness'?

I simply have no idea, despite having had many friends over the years with Asperger's. Whilst I admit my ignorance of the subject is greater than it should be, I don't believe it's any greater than the vast majority of people, even those with friends with Asperger's. Maybe better education is needed, I dunno.
It definitely is NOT an illness , I've even been corrected by my own daughter when I refer to it as a condition.
A behaviour is more accurate.
The term neuro-typical is used by those on the spectrum to describe those not on the spectrum.
I didn't even realise that I must be on the spectrum as my behaviours mimic a lot of hers.
I haven't been tested though as I don't want to be labelled as I can't see the benefit as I am in my mid fifties 😃