The Right wing press

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

The Right wing press

Post by Marc Meakin »

I cannot believe after near treasonous behaviour by Boris Johnson , the best headlines the Scum and the Daily Fail could come up with is about Freddie Flintoff's driving and Helen Skelton's accounting.
I used to laugh about North Korea and Russia suppressing news stories but aren't we just as bad
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Martin Long
Acolyte

Re: The Right wing press

Post by Martin Long »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm I cannot believe after near treasonous behaviour by Boris Johnson , the best headlines the Scum and the Daily Fail could come up with is about Freddie Flintoff's driving and Helen Skelton's accounting.
I used to laugh about North Korea and Russia suppressing news stories but aren't we just as bad
Its the job of the right wing press to sell papers to right wing people. Fortunately for the sensible people amongst us, the truth is readily available from numerous sources. I think the influence of these newspapers is on the decline as is their readership.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Martin Long wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:05 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm I cannot believe after near treasonous behaviour by Boris Johnson , the best headlines the Scum and the Daily Fail could come up with is about Freddie Flintoff's driving and Helen Skelton's accounting.
Its the job of the right wing press to sell papers to right wing people. Fortunately for the sensible people amongst us, the truth is readily available from numerous sources. I think the influence of these newspapers is on the decline as is their readership.
Just Sky and Fox news to brainwash the masses now
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I remember how the Sun and the other right wing rags made Neil Kinnock unelectable with their lamplighting of the British masses about his ability to govern.
I'm convinced that Tony B. Liar only got in government because the Sun endorsed him
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm I remember how the Sun and the other right wing rags made Neil Kinnock unelectable with their lamplighting of the British masses about his ability to govern.
I'm convinced that Tony B. Liar only got in government because the Sun endorsed him
The Sun did not have the ability to provide a three-figure majority to any government. You may recall that the existing govt was utterly moribund at the time, which had a lot more to do with it. [D:Ream too...]

Also, I submit that making up/using puerile names about a public person invalidates any relevant opinion you may express about them.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:59 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm I remember how the Sun and the other right wing rags made Neil Kinnock unelectable with their lamplighting of the British masses about his ability to govern.
The Sun did not have the ability to provide a three-figure majority to any government. You may recall that the existing govt was utterly moribund at the time, which had a lot more to do with it. [D:Ream too...]

Also, I submit that making up/using puerile names about a public person invalidates any relevant opinion you may express about them.
Puerile name or anagram.
Every since the bullshit about WMD I think Tony B. Liar is apt.
I voted for him twice even though he was a Thatcherite but leading us into a war on nothing more than a whim was the final straw
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:52 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:59 am

Puerile name or anagram.
Every since the bullshit about WMD I think Tony B. Liar is apt.
I voted for him twice even though he was a Thatcherite but leading us into a war on nothing more than a whim was the final straw
It may or may not be apt, but it adds nothing to any debate on the subject, and tends to reduce discussion to the level of the playground.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm ... and tends to reduce discussion to the level of the playground.
Are you new to the internet? :lol:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm
It may or may not be apt, but it adds nothing to any debate on the subject, and tends to reduce discussion to the level of the playground.
I completely agree with Ian. I see this sort of thing all the time in online discussion - "Remoaners", "Brexshit", all that kind of thing - and it's just juvenile. If you can't make your point without resorting to gratuitous insults then there's something wrong, because it really isn't necessary in order to get a point across. I understand that some people have very strong opinions, but I kind of automatically turn off whenever I read anything that uses such terms.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm
I completely agree with Ian. I see this sort of thing all the time in online discussion - "Remoaners", "Brexshit", all that kind of thing - and it's just juvenile. If you can't make your point without resorting to gratuitous insults then there's something wrong, because it really isn't necessary in order to get a point across. I understand that some people have very strong opinions, but I kind of automatically turn off whenever I read anything that uses such terms.
Interesting point that I never thought was popular.
Admittedly I'm not the most mature of 50 something's and still find fart jokes funny .
But name calling doesn't seem offensive to me.
The current leaders of the UK and USA are beyond parody so name calling is not needed .
But I find turncoats like Mr Blair ( temptation resisted ) and Nick Clegg odious and traitors to their political roots.

I shall refrain from name calling of politicians and respectable right wing press (Oxymoron alert )
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think stuff like "remoaners" is different because it's a whole group of people, many of whom have reasonable concerns. But Tony B. Liar? Come on.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 pm
I think stuff like "remoaners" is different because it's a whole group of people, many of whom have reasonable concerns. But Tony B. Liar? Come on.
I thought I might have been given kudos for an apt anagram at least