The Krypton Factor

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

The Krypton Factor

Post by Joseph Bolas »

After 14 years, The Krypton Factor was back on TV tonight, with the new presenter Ben Shephard and I, personally, thought it was quite good, with just one let down.

The Mental Agility test was quite tough for the contestants, but easy when you are watching at home :D. The Observation round was good, but I prefer the multi choice answers format like in the last series. The Intelligence puzzle was brilliant and I can't wait to see what other puzzles they have lined up; and as usual they ended with general knowledge questions.

Between the Intelligence and General Knowledge rounds, they had the obstacle course and I thought that it was rubbish to be honest. First off, there are two separate races, so you can't even tell if one person from race 2 has beaten anyone from race 1, until right at the end. Then there are fewer obstacles although they do look harder than last series (they certainly tired out the contestants) and finally it was all over the place, instead of having all the obstacles in just one row (which I think added to the difficulty factor).
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: The Krypton Factor

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Joseph Bolas wrote:After 14 years, The Krypton Factor was back on TV tonight, with the new presenter Ben Shephard and I, personally, thought it was quite good, with just one let down.

The Mental Agility test was quite tough for the contestants, but easy when you are watching at home :D. The Observation round was good, but I prefer the multi choice answers format like in the last series. The Intelligence puzzle was brilliant and I can't wait to see what other puzzles they have lined up; and as usual they ended with general knowledge questions.

Between the Intelligence and General Knowledge rounds, they had the obstacle course and I thought that it was rubbish to be honest. First off, there are two separate races, so you can't even tell if one person from race 2 has beaten anyone from race 1, until right at the end. Then there are fewer obstacles although they do look harder than last series (they certainly tired out the contestants) and finally it was all over the place, instead of having all the obstacles in just one row (which I think added to the difficulty factor).
what time was it on at??? i really wanted to see it
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Stitcher is on it some time soon.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

7.30pm ITV Thursdays Eoin.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Sounds like this might be an interesting show - guess I better get it to my computer. Thanks for mentioning it, Joseph!
Frank
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:7.30pm ITV Thursdays Eoin.
thanks naomi i actually checked it in the tv guide after i posted that post
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I think ITV have a player thing now (like BBC) so it might be watchable online soon :) for anyone who missed it.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

According to next week's Radio Times it will be repeated on ITV1, Tues, 6 Jan, 10.35-11.05pm.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Some spoilers in what I'm about to post, if you haven't watched yet then look away...

I was disappointed with what I saw in general, having loved the show as a kid. As Joseph said, the mental agility round was tricky but doable, so to have the opening contestants score 1 a piece was laughable. I conveniently made some food, missing most of the clip for observation, but the new format for that sucked too. The assault course on Holcombe Hill (a few miles from where my mum was raised) was awesome - the new one less so, in fact I'm just repeating what Joseph already noted so far!

In addition, the cut from 6 rounds to 5 make the show more of a crapshoot. I think the round now cut was called "Response", and watching contestants send planes and helicopters into the ocean/sky/earth at ludicrous speeds and hearing the "Pull up!" warning (often ignored) was one of the original show highlights. General knowledge being cut to 70 secs instead of 100 seems fairer though, unless the questions take longer to read out (which they seemed to). Also, it did seem that the female contestant was there as a token gesture - I don't remember her doing well on anything.

That said, I'll continue to watch if I'm about when it's on (despite a Stitcher appearance ;) ) and see if it improves. I'm nothing like as keen to apply for the next series (if they continue it) as I was yesterday though.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

No flight simulator? Scandalous.

The Krypton Factor was just about my favourite show as a little'un. They've already had one botched comeback so hopefully they've made a better fist of this one, not encouraged by what I've heard so far though.

Having an easier assault course makes me more likely to apply though, I'm fairly sure I'd have been killed in action had I attempted the original.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I agree with what's already been said about the assault course.

First round seemed a lot harder than in the previous series. Second round, observation, seemed to be a little easier, but I wasn't concentrating so much while that was on. I liked the third round. It seemed that some of the contestants didn't quite know what was expected. The final round was just like the old series, even to the extent that the solution to each question formed part of the following question.

My biggest problem with it was having a contestant called Gordon. I kept thinking they were referring to the presenter, who used to be Gordon Burns. Krypton Factor's not the same without him.

I felt sorry for the runner up though. I felt he deserved a place in the semi finals, though he may still get one as best runner up.

Look forward to watching John Stitcher on the assault course. :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I conveniently made some food, missing most of the clip for observation
Wow - how long was the clip? (Or did the food preparation basically amount to boiling a kettle and pouring the contents into a polystyrene cup containing dried pasta, sawdust and monosodium glutamate?)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Perhaps "making some food" was an exaggeration, the entire process involved wandering down two flights of stairs, loading the toaster and microwave and switching on the kitchen tv - by which time a woman was trying to open a cupboard I think.

More importantly, the bolognaise and cheese on toast was delicious.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Paul Howe wrote:They've already had one botched comeback so hopefully they've made a better fist of this one, not encouraged by what I've heard so far though.
This latest relaunch is a definite improvement on the last attempt. There's less reliance on futuristic technology and it retains the basic look of the original.

I liked the mental agility test, but I'm not so keen on the cube that the contestants do it in. Why do we need to know their heart rate?

I agree about the assault course. The circuitous route through the woods, coupled with the fact that it's not a straightforward four-way race, makes it impossible to gauge how well anyone is doing. I didn't like the close up camera angles either. It did appear to be a longer and harder course than the original, though.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Bishop wrote: I liked the mental agility test, but I'm not so keen on the cube that the contestants do it in. Why do we need to know their heart rate?
I thought that was quite interesting actually, although I'm sure there's some interference from the mere act of measurement.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Another here who loved the show as a kid although I was pretty young so dont remember it that well.

Was good to see it back on our screens. It may just be the nostalgia talking at the moment but I was quite excited and reeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to tackle that assault course. Although as others have said I recall the other assault course to be more intense (honestly that bit where they jumped in the puddle of mud!)

Could be just the game show for me... After Weakest Link of course. I film Feb 9th. Will let everyone know airdate then.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Could be just the game show for me... After Weakest Link of course. I film Feb 9th. Will let everyone know airdate then.
They aren't usually in a position to tell you the precise airdate on the day of recording - they'll phone you about a week before transmission to let you know.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Watch out for my good mate David Langer on this week's Krypton Factor. Incidentally, he ia a former Brainteaser winner and Countdown contestant, losing to Chris McHenry despite having a 16 point lead after round 12.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Could be just the game show for me... After Weakest Link of course. I film Feb 9th. Will let everyone know airdate then.
Nice one! I'll wish you luck now, but you should start a proper thread or something (maybe closer to the 9th) rather than hiding it away in here?

What is the attraction with the Weakest Link though? It doesn't occur to me that you have a particularly good chance of winning a huge amount of money, plus it's also kinda out of your hands because the best person quite often gets voted off at the end. Is it good fun? Easy to get onto?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:What is the attraction with the Weakest Link though? It doesn't occur to me that you have a particularly good chance of winning a huge amount of money, plus it's also kinda out of your hands because the best person quite often gets voted off at the end. Is it good fun? Easy to get onto?
Can't speak for anyone else, but the attraction for me was a dual one:
  • The possibility of winning some money. As you say, the best player can end up being voted off tactically, but it's a risk you take. I was lucky not to be, and won what for that show is a pretty respectable sum.
  • Being on telly. Like most people who've been on a few game shows, I find the experience is usually highly enjoyable even if you don't win, and fascinating too if you're interested in the behind-the-scenes minutiae of TV production.
It's probably a bit easier to get onto than many other game shows, given the numbers required (i.e. nine new contestants for every show). And if your ability to answer those kinds of trivia questions under pressure is good, and you demonstrate that at the audition, chances are you'll be teamed up with people of similar ability which means the prize pot is likely to be higher.

And yes, it's good fun, provided you approach it in the spirit of the game, i.e. prepared to stand up to Anne, although it's also physically quite taxing - each show takes around two and a half hours to record, and you're standing for pretty much all of that time.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Well, it's OK. Not a complete disaster, but a less charming version of the original. All the mental rounds were pretty well done I thought, but with the absence of the flight simulator it really needs another non-mental round for balance, and to freshen things up.

The assault course was a complete mess, you can't see who's winning, there's too much emphasis on endurance, the camerawork was sloppy and it's all a bit lifeless compared to the looming metallic beast that was the original.

The host did well, the contestants weren't great but had their moments, i.e. the look of sheer ecstasy on Jonathan's face when he finished the intelligence test, and that slighty rotund fella waddling his way round the assault course.

I miss the original soundtrack! (Der, der, duh, der.... der der der, DER). The bland electronica they've replaced it with is no substitute.

So not brilliant, but there's just enough there for me to give it a chance.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Have finally got around to watching it, and seem to be in line with the rest of you. The assault course was rubbish, it was really tedious, there was no continuity and so nothing really to follow. I thought the whole cube thing was a bit weird, especially how dramatic they tried to make it (and that heart rate thing was really weird - it smacks of someone suggesting it and everyone thinking it was a great idea without actually thinking about it (though it reminded me of The Chair)). The guy who won came across as pretty unpleasant, too - I know they probably encourage you to say that sort of thing, but his opening spiel was hardly endearing (not to mention him being an investment banking, pulling really weird facial expressions when he was winning/won, and beating a fellow Cambridge mathmo to boot).

Also, I know (or at least, seem to remember) that how they dealt with ties was the same in the old series, but was it just me who thought it came across as a bit unfair to award both players in a tie the higher points bracket, rather than the average of the two? After round 2 under that system it would've been annoying guy on 13, Cambridge dude on 12, woman on 11 and other dude on 8 (haha Mensa), as opposed to 14, 12, 12, 10. Hmm, now I work it out it doesn't make that much difference, but I still feel there's a principle there. Maybe...
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Michael Wallace wrote:Also, I know (or at least, seem to remember) that how they dealt with ties was the same in the old series, but was it just me who thought it came across as a bit unfair to award both players in a tie the higher points bracket, rather than the average of the two? After round 2 under that system it would've been annoying guy on 13, Cambridge dude on 12, woman on 11 and other dude on 8 (haha Mensa), as opposed to 14, 12, 12, 10. Hmm, now I work it out it doesn't make that much difference, but I still feel there's a principle there. Maybe...
I don't think classic Krypton Factor has been on Challenge for a while, but whenever I last saw it I remember the opening round (mental agility?) and the spot the differences (observation) were prone to throwing up ties. The scoring system (same used as in the Daily Duel I think) completely shafted one guy who got 2 of the 5 differences, with all the other contestants getting 3 of the 5. The round scored 10 10 10 2 virtually ruled him out of winning, so if the same system has been retained - I agree with you, it needed a little tweaking. Admittedly this'd be low on my list of comeback complaints though!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I don't think classic Krypton Factor has been on Challenge for a while, but whenever I last saw it I remember the opening round (mental agility?) and the spot the differences (observation) were prone to throwing up ties. The scoring system (same used as in the Daily Duel I think) completely shafted one guy who got 2 of the 5 differences, with all the other contestants getting 3 of the 5. The round scored 10 10 10 2 virtually ruled him out of winning, so if the same system has been retained - I agree with you, it needed a little tweaking. Admittedly this'd be low on my list of comeback complaints though!
I think I remember that as well, but I do think they might've changed it, eventually, so that in the case of ties on certain rounds, like Observation for example, they went by how quick the contestant was to submit their answers (and in the case of Mental Agility, it was a matter of how long was left on the clock when the contest got the tieing score).

They should definitely go back to the way it was, but I'll still watch it tomorow, if only for the Mental Agility and Intelligence rounds... and possibly the Observation round too.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Ahh I think you're right - they definitely introduced the speed of answers in scoring. Nice memory!

Michael's post suggests that ties in the new series have returned to the old scoring though, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I've just checked the tv listings to see when it's on (for those who can't be bothered with catch-up players and such):

Today at 7:30pm on ITV 1
ITV 1
Sunday 11th January at 5:30pm on ITV 1
ITV 4
Wednesday 14th January at 7:30pm on ITV 4
ITV 4
Thursday 15th January at 1:30pm on ITV 4
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:Ahh I think you're right - they definitely introduced the speed of answers in scoring. Nice memory!

Michael's post suggests that ties in the new series have returned to the old scoring though, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
So it seems, yeah. The observation round followed the format of 1 question to each player, but if they got it wrong someone else could buzz in, and then 3 more questions open to anyone to buzz in. Unsurprisingly this led to a tie, with the final scores 3, 2, 2, 0, and the points awarded being 10, 6, 6, 2. There was a tie in the first round too, where the joint last (or joint third depending on what spin you'd like to put on it) got 4 each.

Now I think about it, if that's how many observation round questions they expect to have, they're going to have ties there pretty much every week - 2, 2, 2, 1 looking like an especially unfortunate (and fairly likely) outcome.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote: So it seems, yeah. The observation round followed the format of 1 question to each player, but if they got it wrong someone else could buzz in
It occurred to me while I was watching this that, if you're ahead, it's worth going for the "rebound buzz" whenever possible, even if you have no idea of the answer, since it prevents anyone else from getting the points.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Shame about the simulator - they seem to waste time on chat and explanations of what will happen, and the assault course is confusing and shown for too long. I'm not sure I understood the intelligence test!

I much preferred the original format.

As for ties, if three people are equal first then they are 1st = and the next person is fourth, that's normal, although 10, 10, 10, and 2 for points seems harsh, but 6.667, (averaging 10, 6 and 4) 6.667, 6.667, 2 doesn't seem a lot better. Clcock time seems a good tie-break.

kevin
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Watching tonight's game and the contestants have just done the Intelligence test, which looked brilliant, but even though 2 people was able to solve it, I didn't see the pattern that was involved with the 16 squares that you needed to place the discs on.

I did think that there was one disc needed for each column, as there was 16, but this was not the case. Did anyone see the logic to this puzzle?
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

Lots of interesting replies, and here's my view.

It was always going to be very difficult to revive such a classic show without receiving some criticism but I think a lot of it is unfair.

The reason the Lancashire assault course wasn't used is because it is now a three lane course so filming with an empty lane would have looked odd, yes you can't see who's winning but the way they showed the splits on the 2nd show was much better and just to let you know, that assault course is an absolute killer! I am of reasonable fitness and I can tell you the only thing I've attempted harder than that is playing american football.

The mental agility is definitely much tougher, it's more of a memory test now in my opinion. Observation - didn't have enough time to record specialist observation rounds, I expect for series II we'll see a mini series.

Intelligence, doesn't need to use all the modern technology, too prone to unreliability.

All in all I would say the show is a LOT harder than it used to be which might be the reason for some of the detractors.

I think it looks really good and my show is airing on the 5th February.

Not giving any clues as to how I do but needless to say you will all enjoy it immensely!
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jon Stitcher wrote:The reason the Lancashire assault course wasn't used is because it is now a three lane course so filming with an empty lane would have looked odd, yes you can't see who's winning but the way they showed the splits on the 2nd show was much better and just to let you know, that assault course is an absolute killer! I am of reasonable fitness and I can tell you the only thing I've attempted harder than that is playing american football.
I believe the old assault course usually took 3-4 minutes to complete, whereas it's a very good time for the new one if you get round in under six, and some people are coming in around the ten-minute mark, so I guessed it was harder from that. It doesn't come across very well on screen, though. I found the website for the activity centre where it's filmed and this is what it says about the assault course:
Don't be put off by the title. You don't have to be of any physical ability to achieve this. If you can walk 900m, you can complete this course, our instructors will assure you of that. The course consists of 20 obstacles on a woodland track, 10 of the obstacles are minor balance/dexterity obstacles, 10 are major obstacles such as the 9ft climbing wall, the Window, the Quagmire, the Illusion Jump, the Balance Beams, the Monkey Bars, the Queen Mary rope swing or any of the three tunnels. This is not just an activity - this is an experience of a lifetime, an event you will not forget.
(from http://www.adrenalinnylimited.co.uk/a_activitylist.htm)

Slightly mixed messages there! What's the "illusion jump", by the way?
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

The illusion jump is three jumps, one you're jumping upwards, one jumping level and one jumping downwards, all the jumps are the same distance but feel different because of the differing heights of start and finish. Was pretty easy compared to the rest of the course but when you're completely shattered just lifting your legs is pretty hard
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

A year ago I wrote:Could be just the game show for me...
And indeed it was! As quite a few of you know already I filmed for the Krypton Factor about a month back, but thought I'd revive this thread Larsen-stylee and make an official announcement since I've now received the airdate of my Krypton Factor debut which is Tuesday 2nd February 2010. Needless to say it was a fantastic experience which I enjoyed from start to finish, and I can't wait to see the end product on screen :)

For afficionados of the show it relaunches on official "Take yer tree down" day January 5th. The rounds have again been cut down from 5 to 4, making each round all the more crucial. This time they've cut the intelligence round to make way for more in-depth contestant profiles and X-Factor style shots of confident head-turning (*cue Peter Dickson booming DI-NOS SFY-RIS!!!) The assault course is A LOT more challenging than last year's and once again the contestants run it simultaneously so you can see who's in front. I can honestly say it's the most knackering thing I've ever done as I really poured my heart into it and you'll see the internal pain I felt displayed on my face!

Lastly all the people involved were proper quality from start to finish, and me and Ben Shephard are now top mates, even if took him about 10 takes to get my name right (DEANO SEABREEZE I ask you!)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
A year ago I wrote:Could be just the game show for me...
And indeed it was! As quite a few of you know already I filmed for the Krypton Factor about a month back, but thought I'd revive this thread Larsen-stylee and make an official announcement since I've now received the airdate of my Krypton Factor debut which is Tuesday 2nd February 2010. Needless to say it was a fantastic experience which I enjoyed from start to finish, and I can't wait to see the end product on screen :)
Very brave of you! Can't wait to see it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: I can honestly say it's the most knackering thing I've ever done as I really poured my heart into it and you'll see the internal pain I felt displayed on my face!
Spoilers!!
Dinos Sfyris wrote: and me and Ben Shephard are now top mates, even if took him about 10 takes to get my name right (DEANO SEABREEZE I ask you!)
Who is Ben Shephard? The presenter? If you're top mates you must have his phone number, know his favourite cereal and know his current status on facebook. That's quick work.
Last edited by Kirk Bevins on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote: and me and Ben Shephard are now top mates, even if took him about 10 takes to get my name right (DEANO SEABREEZE I ask you!)
Who is Ben Shephard? The presenter?
Did you not watch the last series, Kirk? Yes, he is the presenter.

By the way, I can't wait to see how well you did, Dinos. ;) :) :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Did you not watch the last series, Kirk? Yes, he is the presenter.

Err no I didn't James (I thought that may have been quite obvious). I've only watched one episode of Krypton Factor in my recent life and that's because Jon Stitcher was on it.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Can't wait to see it Dinos. Glad to see that it's not a couple of weeks later, when I'd be away. Hope you enjoy watching it as much as no doubt we will.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Did you not watch the last series, Kirk? Yes, he is the presenter.

Err no I didn't James (I thought that may have been quite obvious). I've only watched one episode of Krypton Factor in my recent life and that's because Jon Stitcher was on it.
Uh, wasn't that the last series, Kirk? :?
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Howard Somerset wrote: Glad to see that it's not a couple of weeks later, when I'd be away.
You're always away, Howard. I wish I could afford luxuries like you do! ;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kirk Bevins wrote:You're always away, Howard. I wish I could afford luxuries like you do! ;)
Not quite always, Kirk. It's nearly two weeks since I was last away. ;)

And that time I was in York, during which time I called in on a couple of your former pupils from All Saints, and they were telling me enthusiastically about your Maths Club. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Uh, wasn't that the last series, Kirk? :?
Maybe but I don't know who Ben Shephard is. I've watched films containing Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt but I still don't know who they are (although I can at least say they are actors, I couldn't tell you that Ben Shephard is a presenter).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Howard Somerset wrote: and they were telling me enthusiastically about your Maths Club. :)
Awesome, what did they say? Or are you having me on?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote: and they were telling me enthusiastically about your Maths Club. :)
Awesome, what did they say? Or are you having me on?
Although pressed, they didn't give any details of what went on, but they said you made it fun.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Howard Somerset wrote:Although pressed, they didn't give any details of what went on, but they said you made it fun.
I say.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Uh, wasn't that the last series, Kirk? :?
Maybe but I don't know who Ben Shephard is. I've watched films containing Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt but I still don't know who they are (although I can at least say they are actors, I couldn't tell you that Ben Shephard is a presenter).
I'll help you out then, Kirk.

Ben Shephard is normally seen on the GMTV sofa, although he has branched out to present other TV shows, most notably 1 vs. 100 and The Krypton Factor.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

1 vs 100 is excellent telly. The post-CoLei Varsity quiz machine sesh featuring 1 vs 100 was unduly hard.

Will make a note to tune in, Dinos - good stuff.

Jeff