Tory Leadership

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Tory Leadership

BoJo
No votes
Dominic Raab
10%
Rory Stewart
80%
Sajid Javid
10%
Jeremy Hunt (or pronounced with a C)
No votes
Gove
No votes

Total votes: 10

Tom S
Kiloposter

Tory Leadership

Post by Tom S »

Am not a Tory supporter but always take an interest in Politics. With an upcoming C4 debate tonight sans Boris, who is the best of a bad bunch? (if you are Non Tory), or who would you be voting for? (if you are Tory). Do voice your decision as to why you have voted for the particular candidate.......
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Re: Tory Leadership

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I am not a Tory supporter. All the contenders are total idiots.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 am I am not a Tory supporter. All the contenders are total idiots.
Are you just sad that your uncle Matt had to pull out of the race?
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:10 pm
Ashton Hancock wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 am I am not a Tory supporter. All the contenders are total idiots.
He is not my uncle and I am in no way related
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Obviously they're all Tories, but quite a few non-Tories seem to prefer Rory Stewart. He got something like 70% in a poll on The Last Leg the other night (which is likely almost all non-Tories). I've heard him in interviews in the past parroting government rhetoric, so I don't think he's some massive breath of fresh air or anything, but as things stand I'd be most interested to see how he does as leader when compared to the others.

The other choice I could go for is Boris himself. I think he'll be so unimaginably awful that he might do some real damage to the Tory party causing them to lose the next election horribly (which would be a good thing).
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm Obviously they're all Tories, but quite a few non-Tories seem to prefer Rory Stewart. He got something like 70% in a poll on The Last Leg the other night (which is likely almost all non-Tories). I've heard him in interviews in the past parroting government rhetoric, so I don't think he's some massive breath of fresh air or anything, but as things stand I'd be most interested to see how he does as leader when compared to the others.

The other choice I could go for is Boris himself. I think he'll be so unimaginably awful that he might do some real damage to the Tory party causing them to lose the next election horribly (which would be a good thing).
This is what my mate who's a Lib Dem has been saying - he's rooting for Boris as he believes the resentment and inevitable mass defection of his party, along with policy-based damage means that the centre and the left would benefit far more-so in the long run if Boris gets into power. A sizeable quantity of remain voters I know seem to want BoJo for the very reason that they see Brexit not happening altogether if he attempts to steer the already sinking ship.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:10 pm
:D :D :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

They are so non descript i actually voted for Dominic Raab (Alan B'stard ) instead of Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart will never get the backing of the right wingers.
He would make a good Labour leader though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

It's all a tad depressing.

I've gone for Stewart.

I don't think Labour are in a good place for a GE. They need to get their leadership sorted.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I certainly thought that Stewart came out as one of the best candidates tonight....e.g. he won the debate imo- but then again, that's more my centrist bias coming over me there.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'll vote if you give that blond buffoon his actual name rather than one of his jaunty handles.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:05 pm I'll vote if you give that blond buffoon his actual name rather than one of his jaunty handles.
de Pfeffel must be included.

Would it reset the poll though?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:05 pm I'll vote if you give that blond buffoon his actual name rather than one of his jaunty handles.
de Pfeffel must be included.

Would it reset the poll though?
To be fair, anything to degrade Johnson is a plus- heard he does not like being called Alexander. But it would mean resetting the poll afaik if I had to do that....
aidan linge

Post by aidan linge »

Stewart, for a man so privileged, he seems to come across as a vaguely likeable human being. The other 5 are so bloody awful and void of humanity, that if you advertised a job and they were the 5 candidates, you'd re-advertise the job.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Goodbye, Ashton.

Edit to say: the abusive posts in this thread have also been shitcanned.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

aidan linge wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm Stewart, for a man so privileged, he seems to come across as a vaguely likeable human being. The other 5 are so bloody awful and void of humanity, that if you advertised a job and they were the 5 candidates, you'd re-advertise the job.
I agree- probably Javid is 2nd as he came across a little better than Gove, Hunt and Raab on the debate last night.....Plus, it would be good for diversity if he won, but that won't happen- shame his views are too right-wing for me as well....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Obviously fact check the claims yourself, but it's quite interesting listening to Owen Jones talking about Boris Johnson.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I was pleasantly surprised by this in my twitter feed

https://twitter.com/MichaelCraig96/stat ... 1465455616
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I do think that Hunt comes across as more approachable than Johnson, who would probably listen if a person asked him a question. He is no saint though, but would be a much better candidate than Johnson.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 pm I was pleasantly surprised by this in my twitter feed

I wouldn't expect a career politician to say anything else to be honest.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 pm
Fiona T wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 pm I was pleasantly surprised by this in my twitter feed

I wouldn't expect a career politician to say anything else to be honest.
Well it's rather different language to that which has been used by his rival. However, that Hunt seems like the better option really just goes to show how bad the other is.