Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply

Did Jeanne Calment really live to 122?

Yes: 90% sure to certain
1
8%
Yes: 80% to <90% sure
1
8%
Yes: 70% to <80% sure
0
No votes
Yes: 60% to <70% sure
1
8%
Yes: >50% to <60% sure
0
No votes
I'm 50/50 on it / Dunno / Need more information
1
8%
No: >50% to <60% sure
0
No votes
No: 60% to <70% sure
0
No votes
No: 70% to <80% sure
0
No votes
No: 80% to <90% sure
0
No votes
No: 90% sure to certain
2
17%
Yes, but I'm not coming up with such a precise figure
1
8%
No, but I'm not coming up with such a precise figure
1
8%
Despite all these options, none of them encompass my position
4
33%
 
Total votes: 12

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm

As you might know, Jeanne Calment is famous for being the oldest person ever, dying in 1997 at the age of 122. Well, it turns out that "Jeanne" Calment might actually have been her daughter, Yvonne, who took on her identity when the real Jeanne died to avoid paying inheritance tax. What do you think? I'm about 99% sure that she was a complete fraud.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Fri May 03, 2019 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by JimBentley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 pm

I'm not surprised, this sort of thing isn't at all unusual. I remember reading a really old Guinness Book Of Records that my grandma had (1960 edition I think) and it was noted in there that the longevity records attract far more fraudulent claims than any other. They were at the time dealing with (and dismissing) one from Russia about a man who had apparently just died at 256 years old. Later on, start of the 1980s, there was a Japanese guy who was briefly held the record for oldest living person at 114. A detail I remember from that was that his hair had gone white when he was in his 80s but then had somehow returned to black when he reached 110. That one held on for a bit but was eventually dimissed. A lot of these are cross-generational so yeah, I'm totally with you. She was too much of an outlier to be true really.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed May 01, 2019 1:09 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 pm
I'm not surprised, this sort of thing isn't at all unusual. I remember reading a really old Guinness Book Of Records that my grandma had (1960 edition I think) and it was noted in there that the longevity records attract far more fraudulent claims than any other. They were at the time dealing with (and dismissing) one from Russia about a man who had apparently just died at 256 years old. Later on, start of the 1980s, there was a Japanese guy who was briefly held the record for oldest living person at 114. A detail I remember from that was that his hair had gone white when he was in his 80s but then had somehow returned to black when he reached 110. That one held on for a bit but was eventually dimissed. A lot of these are cross-generational so yeah, I'm totally with you. She was too much of an outlier to be true really.
Was this the Japanese guy or is that someone else entirely? I remember him being in the Guinness Book of Records having reached 120 but when I looked him up again a while ago doubts had emerged.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by JimBentley » Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:09 pm
Was this the Japanese guy or is that someone else entirely? I remember him being in the Guinness Book of Records having reached 120 but when I looked him up again a while ago doubts had emerged.
Yep, that was him. I got a few details wrong though as I was going from memory but I've found my 1984 Guinness Book upstairs now. He was actually listed as the oldest person of all time (and still living in June 1983, which is presumably when the book went to press) at 118 years old. Next closest were a couple of 113-year olds (Fannie Thomas and Pierre Joubert) so it's similar territory to the Jeanne Calment case, a complete outlier at the time.

The introduction to the Longevity section is pretty much as I remembered from that early edition: "No single subject is more obscured by vanity, deceit, falsehood and deliberate fraud than the extremes of human longevity." Pretty sure that was the exact wording in the 1960 edition too. And alluding to the Russian case I mentioned: "The height of credulity was reached on 6 May 1933, when a news agency solemnly filed a story from China with a Peking date-line that Li Chung-yun, the 'oldest man on Earth', born in 1680, had just died aged 256 years (sic)"

User avatar
Innis Carson
Devotee
Posts: 885
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Innis Carson » Wed May 01, 2019 7:17 pm

It's a fascinating case and I've been disappointed by the lack of any real follow-up to the allegations. On forums where the identity swap theory has been discussed, people generally seem inclined to just dismiss it as 'unproven' or whatever without making much effort to actually counter the points raised (with the occasional bit of customary incoherent frothing triggered by any sight of the word 'Russian'). Sadly it seems like enough people are attached to the idea of Calment's miraculous longevity that the definitive answer might never surface.

Conor
Series 54 Champion
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 am
Location: Luton - UK

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Conor » Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm

I don't think the argument that she was a fraud amounts to much. Statistically it's of course very unlikely that any individual person will reach 122, but we're looking for the probability of one person out the several billion candidates making it to 122, and that's much harder to answer. It's often said that the mortality rate among centenarians is around 50% chance of death per year, so with 1 other person having made it to 119 and 7 having made it to 117, someone getting to 122 is a bit of an outlier but nothing crazy.

(Facebook) polls are almost inherently going to be biased. If shown a picture of a 120-year-old, you're almost certainly going to think it more likely they look 105 than 135 just because nobody really knows what a 135-year-old looks like.

As a mentioned in some articles, the theory suffers from the same problem as most 'conspiracy' theories: how unlikely it is that so many people would be complicit in it. That said, the claim for her age verification does depend heavily on the details -- just how thorough and impartial were the gerontologists' investigations.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Conor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm
I don't think the argument that she was a fraud amounts to much. Statistically it's of course very unlikely that any individual person will reach 122, but we're looking for the probability of one person out the several billion candidates making it to 122, and that's much harder to answer. It's often said that the mortality rate among centenarians is around 50% chance of death per year, so with 1 other person having made it to 119 and 7 having made it to 117, someone getting to 122 is a bit of an outlier but nothing crazy.

(Facebook) polls are almost inherently going to be biased. If shown a picture of a 120-year-old, you're almost certainly going to think it more likely they look 105 than 135 just because nobody really knows what a 135-year-old looks like.

As a mentioned in some articles, the theory suffers from the same problem as most 'conspiracy' theories: how unlikely it is that so many people would be complicit in it. That said, the claim for her age verification does depend heavily on the details -- just how thorough and impartial were the gerontologists' investigations.
First of all, I understand that it's about any person reaching 122, rather than a specific person. If someone you know told you that they had a relative who lived to 120 then aside from the fact that they should be famous, you be immediately suspicious anyway. But if you just heard on the news that there was someone who was 120 you'd be less suspicious.

You have to take into account all this sampling stuff when you're doing your internal Bayesian calculations, but I still think she's a fraud anyway. There are quite a few things. There's a New Scientist article that you won't be able to read all of unless you're a subscriber which I found interesting. I'll stick in some quotes from it:
In 2007, in an obscure book on the insurance industry, Jean-Pierre Daniel made the allegation that Calment assumed her mother’s identity for insurance fraud purposes. Daniel further claimed that the insurance company discovered it near the end of her life, but chose to keep it quiet because of Calment’s iconic status.

The latest round of allegations was sparked by a Russian geriatrician called Valery Novoselov of RUDN University in Moscow. In his clinical judgment, Calment didn’t seem to display the hallmarks of a supercentenarian (the term demographers use for people over 110). He never met Calment but says there are enough photos and videos to make an assessment of three syndromes we know are an inevitable part of extreme age: the ability to sit up straight without assistance, marked skin atrophy and the loss of tissue and fat that makes bones appear more pronounced. “Her authenticity I never believed,” he says.
Zak also points out multiple inconsistencies in Calment’s on-the-record statements that fit the switch theory. For instance, in Vincent and Me Jeanne says she met Van Gogh in her father’s shop. Jeanne’s father did not own a shop, but her husband – Yvonne’s father – did. These slips were usually put down to old age, but Zak says that all are consistent with her being Yvonne, not Jeanne.

What’s more, when demographers interviewed Calment, she made no mention of a cholera outbreak that killed 118 people in Arles in 1884, when Jeanne would have been nine years old, but Yvonne was not yet born. Gerontologists often cite a person’s knowledge of such memorable events as part of age verification, says Zak.

As to how Yvonne could have assumed her mother’s identity without arousing suspicion, Zak says that despite being 23 years apart, the pair looked strikingly similar, and the family largely kept to themselves.
Zak alleges that the original motive for the switch was tax evasion and fraud. Jeanne’s death would have landed the family with a tax bill equivalent to hundreds of thousands of dollars – which was particularly unwelcome given they had recently paid a substantial tax bill after the death of Jeanne’s father Nicolas in 1931. Jeanne also received an annuity on an insurance policy which would have expired on her death. It continued to be paid throughout her life.
On the mortality plateau:
Even if Calment really was who she said she was, Zak isn’t the only scientist outside the gerontology mainstream who has been asking awkward questions about supercentenarians. Biologist Saul Newman at the Australian National University in Canberra recently published a paper showing that it only takes a small number of age errors (or frauds) to magic up a longevity plateau.
The guy who wrote the paper on it acknowledges that there is no smoking gun, but lots of small pieces of evidence that add up to a big suspicion. And I think it's highly suspicious because with most people there would be none of this weird stuff around them. How unfortunate it is that the oldest person ever also happened to have a daughter who died young and that this daughter would have benefited financially if it really was her mother who had died and she lied about it.

You also have to take into account that with longevity claims there is a lot of fraud anyway, so even if it is realistic for someone to reach 122, you still have to be suspicious of anyone actually getting there.

And a couple of bits from the article I linked to originally:
Yvonne was the one who is listed as dying in 1934 of pneumonia. At the time, she left behind her son, Frédéric, and her husband, Joseph Charles Frédéric Billot. After Yvonne’s death, Jeanne began living with them. Billot and Jeanne, apparently, got along great, and he never remarried, despite being only 42 when his wife died, which, Zak contends, may have simply been because he was, in fact, still living with his wife.

He also points to an interview in which Jeanne names a maid who used to take her to school. However, according to the records, that maid was ten years younger than she was, and had actually escorted Yvonne to school. Yvonne's death certificate was also signed by a woman "sans profession," not by medical doctor or coroner.
Of course, none of this amounts to proof, but the existence of all of this (or even any of it) is highly suspicious. Just imagine that if you lived until 122 and someone wanted to debunk the claim. How much stuff in your life could they point to remotely on the scale of the above? Probably none. And that would be the case for virtually everyone. And this isn't just about records being more hazy then. Obviously if you (Conor) reached 122, they'd have your Countdown appearances etc. and there's loads of online stuff nowadays. But the argument presented isn't about a lack of records. It's about positive things that make the claim suspicious. The lack of records makes it harder to prove one way or the other, but it's the positive existence of these suspicious things that simply wouldn't arise when investigating 99.9% of all people.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 02, 2019 3:08 pm

The other thing about the mortality plateau is that there doesn't seem to be any particular reason for believing that it is a consistent thing above 105 anyway. Even if we include Calment, we have nine reaching 117, and only two going beyond that, and that's nowhere near the purported 50/50 figure. It's not much of a sample to dismiss it, but on the other hand there's no reason to say that it exists in the first place based on this data. Twenty people have also reached 116, so on the face of it although there might be something that looks like a plateau between 105 and 117, it looks more like a wall at that point.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by JimBentley » Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm actually sort of still with you (in that I think it's more likely than not that some kind of fraud went on) but Conor raises some good points. Far as I know, she only ever lived in a small town and it's really stretching credulity that everyone there would have been in on it. And really, who takes any notice of Facebook polls? Most people are fucking idiots. And as Conor also pointed out, nobody, not even gerentologists who have been studying these things all their professional lives, knows what anyone over 120 looks like, because there's no data. Also, was Jeanne Calment rich? I don't think she was, so why would there have been an incentive to avoid inheritance tax?

I'm in two minds about this to be honest and I don't think we'll ever know.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 pm

You've both brought up this Facebook poll - probably the least significant piece of evidence. It has no bearing on it in the general scheme of things. It's certainly not the evidence that stuck out to me. Total straw man.

The thing about the town not noticing is the biggest sticking point, but I don't know everyone down my road. You wouldn't need the whole town to be in on it especially if you were fairly reclusive anyway.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm

With almost 100% certainty no, she wasn't. One of my interests is in longevity and I've been following it for a number of years now and am thoroughly convinced of her case. For those unaware, to be validated by the GRG (gerontology research group) you have to have at least 3 (I think) documents supporting your claim, including at least one from the first 20 years of your life. Not only was Jeanne able to provide this, she actually has over 30 documents supporting her claim, more than any other supercentenarian (110+) validated. The theory posited has precisely 0, in my opinion, credible evidence, it seems largely based on claims that "she doesn't look 122" or "she doesn't look 60 in this picture earlier in her life" - which is not really a good way of going about these things. Of course people aren't going to think she looks 122 - because no one has ever seen a 122 year old that they can compare her to. There's also the "if you look at Jeanne and Yvonne together in this picture, then look at this picture from the 1950s of "Jeanne" it looks more like an aged Yvonne" which is tenuous at best.

With regards to her wealth - Jeanne married into wealth, and to the extent that she never had to work. She was well known in her community, meaning that if she died and Yvonne took her "position" at least some people would probably be suspicious.

Cases have emerged where they were wrongly validated, admittedly - such as Shigechiyo Izumi, so yes the GRG can be wrong at times. But over the extensive studies of her case, looking at census records, photographs, and recently handwritten letters from her early centenarian years, there's not really anything to suggest she was a "fraud" - it's just that some people find it so hard to believe that they invent a theory that Jeanne at 122 was actually Yvonne at 99 and try and impose it. For those who doubt this case - have you ever actually looked at any of her supporting evidence?

I'm happy to argue this further, if anyone wants to.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by JimBentley » Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm
With almost 100% certainty no, she wasn't. One of my interests is in longevity and I've been following it for a number of years now and am thoroughly convinced of her case. For those unaware, to be validated by the GRG (gerontology research group) you have to have at least 3 (I think) documents supporting your claim, including at least one from the first 20 years of your life. Not only was Jeanne able to provide this, she actually has over 30 documents supporting her claim, more than any other supercentenarian (110+) validated. The theory posited has precisely 0, in my opinion, credible evidence, it seems largely based on claims that "she doesn't look 122" or "she doesn't look 60 in this picture earlier in her life" - which is not really a good way of going about these things. Of course people aren't going to think she looks 122 - because no one has ever seen a 122 year old that they can compare her to. There's also the "if you look at Jeanne and Yvonne together in this picture, then look at this picture from the 1950s of "Jeanne" it looks more like an aged Yvonne" which is tenuous at best.

With regards to her wealth - Jeanne married into wealth, and to the extent that she never had to work. She was well known in her community, meaning that if she died and Yvonne took her "position" at least some people would probably be suspicious.

Cases have emerged where they were wrongly validated, admittedly - such as Shigechiyo Izumi, so yes the GRG can be wrong at times. But over the extensive studies of her case, looking at census records, photographs, and recently handwritten letters from her early centenarian years, there's not really anything to suggest she was a "fraud" - it's just that some people find it so hard to believe that they invent a theory that Jeanne at 122 was actually Yvonne at 99 and try and impose it. For those who doubt this case - have you ever actually looked at any of her supporting evidence?

I'm happy to argue this further, if anyone wants to.
Well, of course I will.

Forget all the crap about photographs and what people think other people look like. That's not evidence either way. It's worse even than the poll thing. And documents are easily faked and were especially easily faked in the early to mid 20th century, there's countless examples that were only discovered as such with more modern forensic techniques.

But on the other hand (and I think this is the most pertinent point) it would have been a bit weird for the entire small town to go along with the fraud. Jeanne's daughter would have had to pretend to be married to her mother's husband for a start, which would have been a bit weird to say the least. Surely someone would have noticed this?

I'm aware that I'm kind of arguing both positions, but that's because I don't know which one is right. And I don't think we'll ever know short of digging up the graves.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 pm

"The latest round of allegations was sparked by a Russian geriatrician called Valery Novoselov of RUDN University in Moscow. In his clinical judgment, Calment didn’t seem to display the hallmarks of a supercentenarian (the term demographers use for people over 110). He never met Calment but says there are enough photos and videos to make an assessment of three syndromes we know are an inevitable part of extreme age: the ability to sit up straight without assistance, marked skin atrophy and the loss of tissue and fat that makes bones appear more pronounced. “Her authenticity I never believed,” he says.

:lol:

It's possible to not be part of the typical demographic - and in fact from the longest lived person on record I would expect them to not conform to the usual demographic. There's been plenty of people 110+ who could do remarkable things at their age - riding an exercise bike, walking unassisted, conducting long interviews etc. Some people just really are in better shape than most others at that age, due to perhaps a very healthy lifestyle or even just luck. I know a lady from Church who is 95, and when she was around 90 I asked someone how old she was, thinking she was about 70 and was amazed to be told she was actually 20 years older. Walking unassisted, perfectly lucid and not really visibly aged. In comparison I know people in their 60s who I would think were in their 80s on first looking at them.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 pm


But on the other hand (and I think this is the most pertinent point) it would have been a bit weird for the entire small town to go along with the fraud. Jeanne's daughter would have had to pretend to be her mother's husband for a start, which would have been a bit weird to say the least. Surely someone would have noticed this?

Precisely - and it's not as if she was some nobody - as far as I know she was quite a figure in the community. You'd think someone would have noticed.

Fiona T
Acolyte
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Fiona T » Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 pm


But on the other hand (and I think this is the most pertinent point) it would have been a bit weird for the entire small town to go along with the fraud. Jeanne's daughter would have had to pretend to be her mother's husband for a start, which would have been a bit weird to say the least. Surely someone would have noticed this?

Precisely - and it's not as if she was some nobody - as far as I know she was quite a figure in the community. You'd think someone would have noticed.
Agreed. :)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm

I've added a poll just to gauge opinion.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm
For those who doubt this case - have you ever actually looked at any of her supporting evidence?

I'm happy to argue this further, if anyone wants to.
Have you seen the evidence? Do you know what it consists of?

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by JimBentley » Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm
I've added a poll just to gauge opinion.
Can you add a "not sure" or "can't possibly know" option? I genuinely don't know and can't go for a binary choice.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri May 03, 2019 6:46 am

JimBentley wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm
I've added a poll just to gauge opinion.
Can you add a "not sure" or "can't possibly know" option? I genuinely don't know and can't go for a binary choice.
OK. I hope it is good enough for you now.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri May 03, 2019 7:17 am

The oldest people alive are probably not known .
If they were born in a country that don't carry out a census who will know.
I used to use this argument for tallest Man , fastest man etc.
If they live somewhere remote how would we know
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm
For those who doubt this case - have you ever actually looked at any of her supporting evidence?

I'm happy to argue this further, if anyone wants to.
Have you seen the evidence? Do you know what it consists of?
A decent amount of it, yes.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm
For those who doubt this case - have you ever actually looked at any of her supporting evidence?

I'm happy to argue this further, if anyone wants to.
Have you seen the evidence? Do you know what it consists of?
A decent amount of it, yes.
I was hoping you might elaborate.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:17 am
The oldest people alive are probably not known .
If they were born in a country that don't carry out a census who will know.
I used to use this argument for tallest Man , fastest man etc.
If they live somewhere remote how would we know
To be the oldest person alive you need to have certain conditions that are conducive to good health and a long life. I think that makes it more likely they will be in a "first world" country with good records.

And fastest man doesn't just happen by accident. It takes a professional commitment for years. This is just not going to happen outside the world of professional athletics.

Also most people don't live somewhere ridiculously remote. If someone is the tallest man, word will probably get round and it's easy to verify.

So unfortunately I think you're wrong on all of these!
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 9:22 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:17 am
The oldest people alive are probably not known .
If they were born in a country that don't carry out a census who will know.
I used to use this argument for tallest Man , fastest man etc.
If they live somewhere remote how would we know
To be the oldest person alive you need to have certain conditions that are conducive to good health and a long life. I think that makes it more likely they will be in a "first world" country with good records.

And fastest man doesn't just happen by accident. It takes a professional commitment for years. This is just not going to happen outside the world of professional athletics.

Also most people don't live somewhere riduculously remote. If someone is the tallest man, word will probably get round and it's easy to verify.

So unfortunately I think you're wrong on all of these!
We agree on this, at least. Whilst there's probably a few unknown supercentenarians living - I'd say it's virtually certain that Kane Tanaka is indeed the world's oldest living person (unless she reaches 122, in which case we'll have to invent a conspiracy theory as to why she actually wasn't that old).

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am
Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm


Have you seen the evidence? Do you know what it consists of?
A decent amount of it, yes.
I was hoping you might elaborate.
I feel that no matter how many censuses and documents I cite you're just going to dismiss them as "could be fabricated". I'm happy to provide a list of the documents that exist for her life if you wish, but I'll throw a rather notable one out for now:

The death record for her husband has him dying in 1942: "Fernand Nicolas Calment, aged 73, son of the late Jacques Calment and of Marie Felix, spouse of Jeanne Louise Calment, departed this life on the second of October, 1942."
This is 6 years after her daughter Yvonne is listed as dying: "Yvonne Marie Nicolle Calment, aged 36, daughter of Fernand Nicolas Calment and Jeanne Louise Calment, spouse of Joseph Charles Frédéric Billot, has departed this life on the nineteenth of January, 1934."
For the "ID switch" theory to be true, it would mean that Fernand would have had to pretend to be married to Yvonne, his daughter, which I just can't see at all happening, especially when they were figures in the community and Yvonne was 23 years younger than Jeanne, meaning people would almost certainly have known the difference.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 9:42 am

Here's a stat that's useful: experts have estimated that the chances of any human being in the whole history living to the age of 122 is about 1 in 7. So, Jeanne Calment was unlikely, but not so unlikely that we'd have serious doubts about the validity of her claim purely based on statistical improbability and with so much evidence to support her claim.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 pm
I'm not surprised, this sort of thing isn't at all unusual. I remember reading a really old Guinness Book Of Records that my grandma had (1960 edition I think) and it was noted in there that the longevity records attract far more fraudulent claims than any other. They were at the time dealing with (and dismissing) one from Russia about a man who had apparently just died at 256 years old. Later on, start of the 1980s, there was a Japanese guy who was briefly held the record for oldest living person at 114. A detail I remember from that was that his hair had gone white when he was in his 80s but then had somehow returned to black when he reached 110. That one held on for a bit but was eventually dimissed. A lot of these are cross-generational so yeah, I'm totally with you. She was too much of an outlier to be true really.
Jeanne Calment (122 years, 164 days) is 2.67% older than Sarah Knauss (119 years, 97 days).

For those claiming this to be "too much an outlier" - do you also believe that Mount Everest isn't actually 8848m? Mount Everest (8,848m) is 2.75% taller than K2 (8,611m).

There's loads of sets of data where the outlier is more of a respective outlier than Jeanne, yet no one seems to question these: the tallest known tree known is actually 14.9% taller than the second tallest.

If you're willing to accept all these as just "statistical perks", then surely it's nonsensical to have serious doubt on this case due to her being "too much an outlier"

User avatar
Innis Carson
Devotee
Posts: 885
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Innis Carson » Fri May 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Jeanne Calment (122 years, 164 days) is 2.67% older than Sarah Knauss (119 years, 97 days).

For those claiming this to be "too much an outlier" - do you also believe that Mount Everest isn't actually 8848m? Mount Everest (8,848m) is 2.75% taller than K2 (8,611m).

There's loads of sets of data where the outlier is more of a respective outlier than Jeanne, yet no one seems to question these: the tallest known tree known is actually 14.9% taller than the second tallest.

If you're willing to accept all these as just "statistical perks", then surely it's nonsensical to have serious doubt on this case due to her being "too much an outlier"
Exactly how implausible an outlier Calment's accepted age is is a matter of debate for the statisticians in the relevant field of study and not something I can venture a confident opinion on, but you do the researchers (who publish in the highest levels of the academic literature, and some of whom regard Calment as an extraordinary outlier) an incredible disservice by suggesting that they simply haven't thought of such a trivial point as this. Human mortality is not a generic random process, and the probability of an outlier can only be assessed in reference to the specific statistical models developed for it - these would have no applicability whatsoever to the heights of mountains or trees.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Innis Carson wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:13 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Jeanne Calment (122 years, 164 days) is 2.67% older than Sarah Knauss (119 years, 97 days).

For those claiming this to be "too much an outlier" - do you also believe that Mount Everest isn't actually 8848m? Mount Everest (8,848m) is 2.75% taller than K2 (8,611m).

There's loads of sets of data where the outlier is more of a respective outlier than Jeanne, yet no one seems to question these: the tallest known tree known is actually 14.9% taller than the second tallest.

If you're willing to accept all these as just "statistical perks", then surely it's nonsensical to have serious doubt on this case due to her being "too much an outlier"
Exactly how implausible an outlier Calment's accepted age is is a matter of debate for the statisticians in the relevant field of study and not something I can venture a confident opinion on, but you do the researchers (who publish in the highest levels of the academic literature, and some of whom regard Calment as an extraordinary outlier) an incredible disservice by suggesting that they simply haven't thought of such a trivial point as this. Human mortality is not a random process, and the probability of an outlier can only be assessed in reference to the specific statistical models developed for it - these would have no applicability whatsoever to the heights of mountains or trees.
Actually, they do have relevance and such a point was made by Robert Young, senior researcher at the GRG - so to suggest I'm doing people like him a disservice, when I'm basically quoting him seems a little bizarre. I'd argue that believing a conspiracy theory that relies on trivial evidence such as this is undermining the researchers far more, when they have worked tirelessly locating censuses, death records and conducting interviews with her in the past 30 years.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I think Innis's point is that you can't just look at the percentage difference between top and second in a completely different thing and expect it to have some relevance. Different distributions have different standard deviations etc., so you can't just look at percentage difference to see which is a bigger outlier. That's not to say that there aren't bigger statistical outliers than Jeanne Calment of course. But I think I mentioned above that in the absence of concrete evidence, all of this really needs to be looked at in a Bayesian framework where we assess the likelihoods of all the relevant factors, not just how much of an outlier 122 is.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:24 pm
I think Innis's point is that you can't just look at the percentage difference between top and second in a completely different thing and expect it to have some relevance. Different distributions have different standard deviations etc., so you can't just look at percentage difference to see which is a bigger outlier. That's not to say that there aren't bigger statistical outliers than Jeanne Calment of course. But I think I mentioned above that in the absence of concrete evidence, all of this really needs to be looked at in a Bayesian framework where we assess the likelihoods of all the relevant factors, not just how much of an outlier 122 is.
The point I (and indeed Mr Young when posed this very same argument) were making was that dismissing something "because they seem too much an outlier" is a bit of a weak way of going about things. Calment was indeed an exceptional outlier and quite an unlikely scenario, but certainly not out of the realms of possibility. I agree that the only way to be 100% certain is to do exhumation of the body and do DNA testing, but without that and with all the evidence supporting her, I'm 99.99% sure of her case.

Fiona T
Acolyte
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Fiona T » Fri May 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm
I agree that the only way to be 100% certain is to do exhumation of the body and do DNA testing
Image

(no disrespect intended to Mrs Calment!)

Conor
Series 54 Champion
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 am
Location: Luton - UK

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Conor » Fri May 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Using statistics can help with your own probabilistic acceptance of Calment's case (e.g. maybe based on the evidence you'd be 95% sure she's genuine but you think she's enough of an outlier that you'd revise it down to 80%) but will not provide a conclusive answer on its own. There are too few data points at these extreme ages to get a reliable distribution for human mortality in the tails, plus it's not clear just what the sample size is. Anyway yeah, just dig up the bodies.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Dig up the bodies it is then. We're all agreed.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Fred Mumford » Sat May 04, 2019 9:09 am

I'm sufficiently intrigued by this to lend you a shovel. I want it back though.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9393
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Charlie Reams » Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I enjoyed this thread and now also endorse exhumation. If I live to 122 I'd be fine with someone messing with my grave to double-check.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3405
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Ian Volante » Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 am

This has certainly put a wrinkle in the whole story.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9021
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Was Jeanne Calment a fraud?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am

I came across this this BBC article yesterday saying that French officials are refusing to change the death certificate. Also, I came across this article saying that there's a new study finding that she's genuine. The new study can be found here. I might give it a proper read later, but my current suspicion is that it's more of an opinion piece than a "new study".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests