Favourite Word

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Favourite Word

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Anybody got an obscure favourite word ?

Mine's 'aasvogel' - a south african vulture
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Re: Favourite Word

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I love melifluous - (although it is not obscure.)
Eoin - there is a welcome thread at the top of the "Countdown General" thread.
Why don't you say hello in there, so that people can welcome you (or at least know you are here.)
Welcome Eoin. I hope you enjoy it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ralph wrote:I love melifluous
...although not enough to spell it correctly.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Well spotted Phil.
That's speed typing for you!
One can't get away with mistakes on this forum.
I will leave my original post unedited so that it makes some sense to anyone who may read the thread.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:Anybody got an obscure favourite word ?
Only about 500. Here's three to start:
  • wayzgoose - a recreational outing for printers. I've always been fond of this word and have often thought it would make a great 9 on Countdown, so I was shocked a while ago when Susie included it in a list of words with unusually specific meanings and mentioned that it was no longer in the dictionary. Boo.
  • sesquipedalian - (of an orator) given to using long words; (of a word) possessing many syllables. I love the fact that the word sesquipedalian is itself sesquipedalian.
  • pyriform - pear-shaped. When I worked in the software industry, a couple of colleagues and I used to daydream about starting our own software company and calling it Pyriform Systems, which would be a little in-joke given that so many of the projects we'd worked on had themselves gone completely pear-shaped.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I have a couple that came up recently during Collins dictionary-based apterous play- KAIKAWAKA is a wonderfully obscure word the bloody thing threw me as a goatconundrum (dropping one of the Ks), and SEMPERVIVUM is a word I'm dying to play in scrabble, preferably around PERV. :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Acatalectic.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Spanghew is a good one even though it's not ODE worthy. The definition is ace - to cause (esp. a toad or frog) to fly into the air off the end of a stick.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Callipygian - the quality of having a perfectly formed arse. I dream of one day using this sincerely.
Pansexual - apparently someone capable of feeling sexual attraction for men, women, and "those outside the traditional gender binary". Personally I'd find a broader definition including animals, inanimate objects and David O'Donnell far more entertaining.
Fagmaster - The person you fag for in public schools.

All my favourite words are really mature. Here's a couple of adult ones:

Hydropot - some who drinks only water
Nekton - all the sea creatures in a large body of water capable of moving independently of the current.
Idioticon - a dictionary of words from an obscure dialect.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Got another two, both played by my mate Martin (not Gardner) at Scrabble and both ODE-friendly this time- SLUGABED, literally pronounced slug-a-bed, meaning a lazy git, and the triply darrenic TAIKONAUT, the Chinese equivalent of a western astronaut or a Russian cosmonaut.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

People have different views on what is obscure, but to me, my favourite words (off the top of my head) would include:

ESOTERICA - Esoteric matters or items.
FEIJOADA - A Brazilian dish consisting of an assortment of sliced meats, such as tongue and sausage, and side dishes, including rice, beans, collard greens, oranges, and hot pepper sauce.
EXORDIAL - A beginning or introductory part, especially of a speech or treatise.
WAQF - an inalienable religious endowment in Islam, typically denoting a building or plot of land for Muslim religious or charitable purposes.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

CAPSTAN

Because it sounds cool.

And

FLABERGAST
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:CAPSTAN

Because it sounds cool.

And

FLABERGAST
That's FLABBERGAST, with 2 Bs. I wouldn't have said either of those was particularly obscure.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

MUZJIKS is an obscure word and a good play in Scrabble :P
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. :lol:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I also have a soft spot for TAIKONAUT, which is why I included it in the list of Apterous conundrums even though I'm sure it'll generate some complaints if it ever comes up in a Duel.

Other favourites include PANOPTICON, QIPAO (not Countdown-friendly), OSSIFY, IRENICON, PONTIFEX, XIPHOID and lately ADHOCRACY (as well as several others from here). Also hundreds of words with a K, but KAOLINITE, KUMITE and SNAKEPIT sprung first to mind.

Oh and ISOGAMETE <3
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Good old KUMITE. Will be engaging in some later on :)

My favourite word is FISTING

I may also engage in some later on
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:My favourite word is FISTING

I may also engage in some later on
Brings a whole new meaning to "engagement ring".

And now I just said "a whole". Oh dear.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

One from the wonderful world of statistics - HETEROSKEDASTICITY.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:One from the wonderful world of statistics - HETEROSKEDASTICITY.
Oh yes. Continuity both statistical and K-based themes, KURTOSIS is another favourite of mine.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. :lol:
Is that a real word ? If so it certainly is obsure!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. :lol:
Is that a real word ? If so it certainly is obsure!
51800 Google results, so it's certainly in use, although almost all the results appear to be questions similar to yours so I think the real usage statistics would be much lower.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

AHOLEHOLE - some sort of fish - has been my favourite ever since I found it in the Official Countdown Words book in 2002 or whenever it was. It's a great word because it's not only a weird vowel-consonant construction, it also sounds as though it could be a euphemism for some incredibly lewd act.

Oh, and FARTLEK, for similar reasons.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:QIPAO (not Countdown-friendly)
I mentioned this elsewhere in the forum, but more obscure words would be the ones with a 'Q' in them but no 'U' after the 'Q', (but in some cases the 'U' is somewhere else in the word):

The following are all Countdown friendly:

BURQA, BURQAS, CINQ, CINQS, FIQH, MBAQANGA, NIQAB, NIQABS, QANAT, QANATS, QAWWAL, QAWWALI, QAWWALS, QI, QIBLA, QIGONG, QINDARKA, QINTAR, QINTARS, QWERTY, SUQ, SUQS, TALAQ, TARIQA, TARIQAS, TARIQAT, TARIQATS and WAQF.

And the following are all Scrabble friendly (I think):

BUQSHA, BUQSHAS, BURQA, BURQAS, FAQIR, FAQIRS, INQILAB, INQILABS, MBAQANGA, MBAQANGAS, NIQAB, NIQABS, QABALA, QABALAH, QABALAHS, QABALAS, QABALISM, QABALISMS, QABALIST, QABALISTIC, QABALISTS, QADI, QADIS, QAID, QAIDS, QAIMAQAM, QAIMAQAMS, QALAMDAN, QALAMDANS, QANAT, QANATS, QASIDA, QASIDAS, QAT, QATS, QAWWAL, QAWWALI, QAWWALIS, QAWWALS, QI, QIBLA, QIBLAS, QIGONG, QIGONGS, QINDAR, QINDARKA, QINDARS, QINTAR, QINTARS, QIS, QIVIUT, QIVIUTS, QOPH, QOPHS, QORMA, QORMAS, QWERTIES, QWERTY, QWERTYS, SHEQALIM, SHEQEL, SHEQELS, SUQ, SUQS, TALAQ, TALAQS, TRANQ, TRANQS, TSADDIQ, TSADDIQIM, TSADDIQS, TZADDIQ, TZADDIQIM, TZADDIQS, UMIAQ, UMIAQS, WAQF, WAQFS, YAQONA and YAQONAS.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Might as well post this again, since it's still one of my proudest achievements.

Also I'd like to add CAPOEIRA to the list. All words with strange orthography are fascinating, I think.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've read a half-decent book on Latin recently which is really good for finding out where words come from. Tango (to carry on the strictly theme) means 'I touch', video means 'I see', agent means 'they do', ludo means 'I play' and audio means 'I hear'. On a Scrabble theme, probably my most important ever word was POLARISE (in French) against Hervé Bohbot for 140 points, a former #1 player in the world ratings. I won by 91.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

SKIMMINGTON has a certain charm to it - a procession made through a village intended to bring ridicule on and make an example of a nagging wife or unfaithful husband.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Gary Male wrote:SKIMMINGTON has a certain charm to it - a procession made through a village intended to bring ridicule on and make an example of a nagging wife or unfaithful husband.
I like that - a local pub is the Skimmington Castle, and I always wondered how it got its name.

Wickiup - a North American Indian dwelling (yes I know you are not supposed to call them that any more....)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

ABOLISHES, ABSOLUTES, BASELOADS, BESTOWALS, BONSELLAS, BRESAOLAS, KILOBASES, MESOBLAST, OBSTACLES, SALTBOXES and SOCIABLES :D
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Joseph Bolas wrote:ABOLISHES, ABSOLUTES, BASELOADS, BESTOWALS, BONSELLAS, BRESAOLAS, KILOBASES, MESOBLAST, OBSTACLES, SALTBOXES and SOCIABLES :D
Is there a link to those words?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:ABOLISHES, ABSOLUTES, BASELOADS, BESTOWALS, BONSELLAS, BRESAOLAS, KILOBASES, MESOBLAST, OBSTACLES, SALTBOXES and SOCIABLES :D
Took me a while to figure it out too. It's all the 9s you can make from BOLASES.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

MOONQUAKE
TURQUOISE
HOWGOZIT
CUNTIEST
SORRYKAI
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:
Took me a while to figure it out too. It's all the 9s you can make from BOLASES.

Well done charlie- wouldn't have got it-although i didn't really try. I knew it would have something to do with josephs name, though
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:
I know, I am sad :lol:

For 8's you could have ABSOLVES, BONSELAS and SOLEBARS too :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

If you're going to allow proper nouns, there's a card in my local post office with a restaurant called "Fuk Mi" on the front, the inside says "how would you answer the phone if you worked here?"
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Martin Gardner wrote:If you're going to allow proper nouns, there's a card in my local post office with a restaurant called "Fuk Mi" on the front, the inside says "how would you answer the phone if you worked here?"
ill give you that exception martin!