How would you rank the celebratory days of the year?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

How would you rank the celebratory days of the year?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If you had to put the following in order of celebratoryness or whatever else you want to rank them in order of, what order would you put them in? I've put them in chronological order, except that I've put "Your Birthday" last because it could be anywhere. Also I haven't bothered with things like Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Year's Eve even though they're separate days because I think that would be going too far. You can consider them to be part of the thing they're connected to. But you can add your own into the list if you think I've left out something important.

New Year
COLIN
Pancake Day
Easter
Hallowe'en
Guy Fawkes Night
Christmas
Your Birthday
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: How would you rank the celebratory days of the year?

Post by Mark James »

1st Pancake Day
2nd COLIN

The rest I don't really care for. I might have put Christmas 3rd but I do hate the actual day of the 25th. I much prefer both Christmas Eve and St. Stephen's day (none of your Boxing rubbish please) to Christmas Day because there's always a great atmosphere in my local on Christmas Eve and the dinner is better on Stephen's Day 'cause I get chips instead of roast potatoes. And there's football on.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Generally:
COLIN
My birthday
Christmas
Pancake Day
Halloween
New Year's Eve
Easter
Bonfire Night

Enjoyed Easter more than usual this year and my birthday less than usual.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:If you had to put the following in order of celebratoryness or whatever else you want to rank them in order of, what order would you put them in? I've put them in chronological order, except that I've put "Your Birthday" last because it could be anywhere. Also I haven't bothered with things like Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Year's Eve even though they're separate days because I think that would be going too far. You can consider them to be part of the thing they're connected to. But you can add your own into the list if you think I've left out something important.

New Year
COLIN
Pancake Day
Easter
Hallowe'en
Guy Fawkes Night
Christmas
Your Birthday
At the risk of appearing curmudgeonly (ah fuck it, I AM curmudgeonly) I struggle to get excited about many of these.

- COLIN, obviously is probably going to be my big one next year, as I'll get to see a load of people that I've not seen for ages.
- My birthday, I suppose, is generally quite good because I get to hang out with some of my cool friends. But most of the others moved away long ago.
- Christmas is almost always fun in some way, although this is often because it's just a great excuse to drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol.
- New Year stopped being a thing for me since I moved away from Scotland. English New Year celebrations are pish.
- Pancake Day, Easter, Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes Night are all pretty much nothing unless you have kids, or are a kid.
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

Christmas, Easter, Miscellaneous and Sometimes Frankly Weird But Nonetheless Enjoyable Family Celebrations, My Birthday, COLIN (other Co events are also available), New Year, Pancake Day, Bonfire Night, Halloween.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Halloween, Pancake day, my birthday, Christmas. I used to really enjoy Guy Fawkes' but the novelty has worn off now.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Not even acknowledging Colin, brutal.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fireworks are cool whereas Halloween and Easter don't do much for me.

Christmas is way better than a birthday, not just because getting old sucks but I am more into giving than receiving (oo er) and like to see celebrations shared out more equally rather than anything to do with me.

I used to love eating double figures of pancakes, a habit which I've forgotten to keep up in the last few years, though I do still love pancakes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've always seen Hallowe'en as a bit of a non-event, so I'm surprised to see it top on Charlie's list. My birthday tends to happen around COLIN time so I see it as one festival. And as a festival it's probably just behind Christmas. Then probably Easter/Pancake Day (about equal), followed by New Year, Guy Fawkes and Hallowe'en. I'd probably have put Guy Fawkes higher up in the past, but I don't often go to fireworks displays these days.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

1. Bonfire Night
2. COLIN
3. Deadline Day
4. Christmas (New Doctor Who Day)
5. St Paddy's Day
6. New Year
7. Easter
8. Pancake Day
9. Ben Osborn Day
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

My Birthday
Christmas
AUG. Deadline Day
Pancake Day
Everything else
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

New Year: one of the few events to be more fun as an adult, certainly because it's socially acceptable to get totally hammered. The calling relatives and friends thing after midnight can be annoying when you're already quite drunk. The expection of 'Omg what are your new years plans?!?!?!' is also not good.

COLIN - great, obviously. Always a fan of COLIN eve (and COLIN day). These days we also have St. Colin's day (none of your Colinning rubbish please) to enjoy.

Pancake day - I think you included it in a light-hearted way, but it's a brilliant day. Pancakes are clearly delicious, and eating 9 pancakes is an adequate diet for 1 day. Also it always arrives somewhat unexpectedly, making it a pleasant surprise.

Easter - quite lame really. The promise of Easter eggs isn't enough to make it hedonistically worth it.

Halloween - is better as a kid. I find it strange how big an event it is for a lot of people, with fully grown working adults putting hours of effort into their costumes.

Guy Fawkes - one for the purists: setting off fireworks is just good fun.

Christmas - controlling for the over hype, it's alright. The big pros being Boxing day football and the Boxing day test match. I also like Christmas music. It's a shame Christmas day itself is quite dull really.

My birthday - I always found it an awkward day as a child, receiving presents and being a focal point without doing anything impressive. But as an adult it's a fun excuse to hang out with friends.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Laverty wrote:9. Ben Osborn Day
What is this?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

First day of my holiday is always my favourite day of the year.
Then it's the grandkids birthdays
Then whatever day in December I give them my presents for Christmas
Boxing day is next
New year's day
Christmas day
Valentine's day
Pancake day
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

1) Christmas day.
2) Hogmanay.
3) Boxing Day.
4) New Year's Day.
5) Any bank holiday that gives me a day off.
6) My birthday.

Can't think of anything else that interests me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Where would Americans put things like Thanksgiving and Independence Day?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

up their bumholes
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:up their bumholes
Fair enough.