Where did you go to on your last holiday, and where are you going next?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Where did you go to on your last holiday, and where are you going next?

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

You can elaborate with stories if you want.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Re: Where did you go to on your last holiday, and where are you going next?

Post by Paul Worsley »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:You can elaborate with stories if you want.
Lanzarote. Ibiza.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mallorca last year, my only overseas holiday this century. I doubt I'll afford another one for a while :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

For me Co:Lin was kind of a holiday but I'll say Glasgow was my last proper one. I went over to play in a charity football match. It was an Ireland/Germany team vs a Scotland team and we got to play at Celtic's old training ground. My next holiday will be the rematch in Munich with Ireland/Scotland vs Germany. Unless of course St Patrick's Athletic get a decent draw in Europe and I find some extra cash and head to the away game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:For me Co:Lin was kind of a holiday
I was wondering whether to include CO events. Leeds was my last holiday!

Other than that, it was America last October. That was pretty good. Dunno about my next one. I suppose King's Lynn this weekend!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Co-events don't count as holidays unless you spend an extra full day there to admire the scenery and lap up the culture or whatever (am planning to do this for Glasgow). I'm sure someone (Gev) will nitpick at this, but this is now the rule.

(Not just saying this because Malta is way more exotic a holiday location than Leeds.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Went to Montreal two years ago during a two-week break from uni (which is the maximum I typically get). The two main highlights of the trip for me were the Biosphère, an eco-friendliness / sustainability museum built by the architect Buckminster Fuller and shaped like a giant golf ball, and the Biodome, which is an internally acclimatised museum that houses various animals and plants. The Olympic Stadium offers a very comprehensive tour, including the ability to access its gift shop by taking a diagonal glass elevator up its famous slanted tower (though this is pretty expensive). Also, for chess buffs or geeks of any kind, the Café Pi offers weekly chess tournaments and sells some nerd memorabilia as well. Drivers in Montreal are very aggressive -- I had at least two people continue to make turns in front of me while I was still crossing intersections on foot (plus all their roads are in the opposite orientation from yours, of course) -- but the Metro is cheap and accesses the vast majority of attractions in the city. For anyone who hasn't visited yet I'd strongly recommend you check it out.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Co-events don't count as holidays unless you spend an extra full day there to admire the scenery and lap up the culture or whatever (am planning to do this for Glasgow). I'm sure someone (Gev) will nitpick at this, but this is now the rule.

(Not just saying this because Malta is way more exotic a holiday location than Leeds.)
What about if you were up in a similar area (ie Yorkshire) a few days before for another event. Felt like a holiday in a way.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

James Laverty wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Co-events don't count as holidays unless you spend an extra full day there to admire the scenery and lap up the culture or whatever (am planning to do this for Glasgow). I'm sure someone (Gev) will nitpick at this, but this is now the rule.

What about if you were up in a similar area (ie Yorkshire) a few days before for another event. Felt like a holiday in a way.
Hmm, OK, I'll allow it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Whitstable last September
Gran Canaria next January....cant wait
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Was in Manchester at Easter for the British SF convention, but didn't get out at all.
Next year I am hoping to be well enough to go to the World SF con in Helsinki, especially as I have attended every one which has been held in Europe.