Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Odd this year. I seem to like everything everyone else doesn't, like Belgium, Moldova, Finland, Ireland, and the UK. Russia were favourite to win but after first rehearsals they're drifting like a barge and the UK are the big movers in the other direction. General consensus (Wiwibloggs etc) is that UK has the best staging of anybody.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Post by JimBentley »

- - - PAGING STEVEN M. McCANN - - -
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

We've missed you Rhys!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

The first Semi-Final is on BBC 4 now, for anyone that's interested.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Not listened to any of the songs yet as I like to go into the show without having heard the songs beforehand.

However, I am (as ever) planning to watch at a Eurovision party, and have written a blog about the most memorable and enjoyable Eurovision songs of the last decade. (I can't stop listening to Sax Guy and the Belgian yodelling girl. Absolute tunes.) Sorry, Rhys - Josh Dubovie is not featured.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

The almighty plunge on AUSTRALIA (5/2 from 24/1) after the Semi-Finals, suggests "show insiders" know something.
The Russian plagiarists (they've pinched the video gimmock from last year's winner! ) will still be a tough nut to crack, 10/11 is the current best price available for RUSSIA.
My own personal favourite, SLOVENIA, the Taylor Swift lookalike with the magnificent bosom, didn't get past the Semi-Finals, she was judged on her singing rather than her appearance, unfortunately!

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The winning song was crap.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Next you'll be telling us the winning horse in the Grand National had four legs.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Next you'll be telling us the winning horse in the Grand National had four legs.
It was crap even by the standards of Eurovision!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Don't like the new voting system. Gave too much power to the "bloc" voters, the exact reason the juries were reintroduced in the first place. See Poland.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

LAST NIGHT WAS AWESOME!! No novelty songs, but overall standard of tune was better than usual, I thought. Half-time show was amazing (especially Peace Peace Love Love) and the voting was hilarious. Made absolutely no sense but was a billion times more entertaining than usual :D
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Best song of the night by far was the spoof song.
I think Ricky Gervais should write our entry for next year.
Dollar for a hero is an awesome song
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

How completely out of touch with the public are these juries?
The Juries had AUSTRALIA winning by a country mile, they weren't even in the first 3 with the public vote.
They gave POLAND 7 points out of a possible 492, the public vote had them 3rd with 222 points.
Also the Juries bias against RUSSIA absolutely stunk, 130 points from the Juries compared to 361 from the public vote.
I won't be backing on this rubbish again until they have dumped the Juries.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:How completely out of touch with the public are these juries?
The Juries had AUSTRALIA winning by a country mile, they weren't even in the first 3 with the public vote.
They gave POLAND 7 points out of a possible 492, the public vote had them 3rd with 222 points.
Also the Juries bias against RUSSIA absolutely stunk, 130 points from the Juries compared to 361 from the public vote.
That kind of implies that you were taking it seriously before as a betting proposition, in which case, more fool you.

I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that Ukraine won, not necessarily wholly for the historical (and contemporary) political aspects (although they obviously contributed), but because it's going to make next years's competition - to be held in Ukraine - a potentially even more exciting political football.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I won't be backing on this rubbish again until they have dumped the Juries.
Took a punt on Ukraine after the Jury vote. Figured they were the only country with a realistic chance of catching the aussies. It was a brilliant show, from what i saw from half time onwards. Timberlake and all. That's a precedent. Next year the Ukrainians will have to wheel out snoop dogg or somethin.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

My favourite two were probably Austria and Cyprus. I also didn't think Germany's was too bad for a song that did so badly. Long memories...
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Next you'll be telling us the winning horse in the Grand National had four legs.
It was crap even by the standards of Eurovision!
I loved Ukraine. For me, it was clearly the best song on the night. It's certainly very eastern-sounding, so it doesn't surprise me that there are some people in this country who don't get it. From a very small sample of friends, people either love it or think it's the worst song they've ever heard. The people who love it vote for it, though, and the rest split 25 ways, so it's not a bad recipe for Eurovision success.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Gavin Chipper wrote:My favourite two were probably Austria and Cyprus. I also didn't think Germany's was too bad for a song that did so badly. Long memories...
Germany won in 2010. Presumably they were briefly forgiven?

I liked their song this year, but I don't think many people paid attention to it when the singer was dressed as Korean animated schoolgirl at carnival time.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Steven M. McCann wrote:How completely out of touch with the public are these juries?
If the juries were just going to vote exactly the same as the public there would be no point having them.

Any Eurovision fan could have told you that a regional megastar singing a cheesy, outdated, uptempo number with ridiculously over the top staging would do better with the phone vote than with the juries.

The juries also have a reputation for being suckers for a big vocal. I personally thought Australia was a bit too shouty, but everyone else seems to think she sang really well.

Poland are a funny one. Diaspora help from all the Poles living across Europe probably helped a little in the phone vote, but they only came 15th in the public vote last year, so it can't be due to diaspora alone. My mum liked it, so I think it was more a housewives' favourite than anything.