X Factor

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

John Bosley
Enthusiast

X Factor

Post by John Bosley »

A bit like the John Sergeant thing on Strictly, awful to see a good singer chucked off because all the old dears are phoning in for that chubby boring singer....
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: X Factor

Post by Jon Corby »

Meh, if she's that good she'll get a recording contract anyhow.

I didn't see anyway, who went? Is it the one shagging one of the producers?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Yep, the chubby one with the good voice, or (as she prefers to be called) Laura White.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jimmy wrote:Yep, the chubby one with the good voice, or (as she prefers to be called) Laura White.
Laura was good. I like Daniel and Ruth though and hope one of them wins.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I like Daniel and Ruth though and hope one of them wins.
Daniel is only there because he has a dead wife.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ruth is sizzling hot. That SENORITA'S/ASSERTION/NOTARISES voice blows me away. I really would :P But I doubt she'll win as she doesn't have a dead wife. If I was a dancer diagnosed with leukaemia and leg cancer and they had to amputate and I had no insurance I'm certain Susie would've allowed CUTTIER and I'd have been an octochamp. Lets have more CD sob stories!

Also Countdown > X Factor > insert many things here > Strictly
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Ruth is sizzling hot. That SENORITA'S/ASSERTION/NOTARISES voice blows me away. I really would :P But I doubt she'll win as she doesn't have a dead wife.
I think and hope she will win. She has been in the bottom two, twice so far and has survived both times :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I think and hope she will win. She has been in the bottom two, twice so far and has survived both times :D
Absolutely. The fact that the public aren't voting for her will be a massive advantage come the final.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jon Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I think and hope she will win. She has been in the bottom two, twice so far and has survived both times :D
Absolutely. The fact that the public aren't voting for her will be a massive advantage come the final.
It could happen :lol:
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I haven't watched X Factor since Rhyddian got seen off last year so can't comment - but as usual the old sob story routine beats talent.

Talking about talent - That brings me to Britain's Got Talent - The same thing happened with the crap dancer who danced to singing in the rain and had a massive sob story - There were about 4 or 5 acts better than him. I won't be watching that again either!

I like these threads - ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

aagharmer wrote:I haven't watched X Factor since Rhyddian got seen off last year so can't comment - but as usual the old sob story routine beats talent.
Last years X Factor was seriously screwed up. Rhydian did deserve that.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

What about the poorly Diana? She could win it.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

JLS all the way !!!
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:JLS all the way !!!
Amen to that :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

DebbiF wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:JLS all the way !!!
Amen to that :)
They are not bad, but I don't think they will win it.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

As a fellow Boltonian, Laura's premature exit has caused outrage in our town and also all over the national media! How on earth people like daniel and rachel are still in there baffles me :? .
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:As a fellow Boltonian, Laura's premature exit has caused outrage in our town and also all over the national media! How on earth people like daniel and rachel are still in there baffles me :? .
According to the MSN Blog, it says that Laura has said "Don't worry - I'm going back on the show", but this has got me wondering. Say Laura gets back on and then later on in the competition, Laura is voted off again (say at the final 3 stage for example) would people protest to this as well.

According to Wiki, In week five a campaign started by Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles urging his listeners to vote for Daniel seemed to save his skin. Moyles described Daniel as looking like Rick Astley's dad saying "he's never going to win, so vote for him to annoy Simon and Louis".
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
jasoncullen wrote:As a fellow Boltonian, Laura's premature exit has caused outrage in our town and also all over the national media! How on earth people like daniel and rachel are still in there baffles me :? .
According to the MSN Blog, it says that Laura has said "Don't worry - I'm going back on the show", but this has got me wondering. Say Laura gets back on and then later on in the competition, Laura is voted off again (say at the final 3 stage for example) would people protest to this as well.
I've just looked at the MSN Blog again and it says that Laura will not be back on.

I don't see what the problem is though as Laura can re-apply, can't she? Just like Alexandra Burke has done.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Laura will be performing tonight at Sheffield students Union :)

but I'm working :x
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

We all know its the X factor final tonight but it begs the simple question,

Who do you want to win?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:We all know its the X factor final tonight but it begs the simple question,

Who do you want to win?
Going by who is left, I would pick Alexandra.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Alexandra 1st
JLS 2nd
Eoghan 3rd
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Alexandra 1st
JLS 2nd
Eoghan 3rd
Although I'm from N.I and my name is Eoin I'm backing JLS
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Alexandra 1st
JLS 2nd
Eoghan 3rd
You were right Dinos :D

I am pleased that Alexandra has won :)
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I was hoping that Al-Quaeda would take out the whole studio and every single cretin in there would be killed stone dead. But at least Eoghan (and Im not even going to apologise if I spelled that fucking ridiculous name wrong) didnt win.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You spelt Eoghan correctly, but Al-Qaeda wrong - you should be ashamed of that considering the point you were making!

My other half & daughter love the X Factor, so we had the final on. I find it particularly funny that they always get star turns in to accompany the contestants, as it just shows them up. The judges are trying to bang on about how amazing and world-class Alexandra is, and Beyonce utterly outshone her to a ridiculous degree. The gulf was enormous.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

I agree with the legend that is Corby. (Same applies to Strictly - when the professionals do a demo without the celebs, quality improves massively.) I heard Alexandra's version of Hallelujah this morning - absolutely terrible, no diction whatsoever. Leonard Cohen is a poet and you need to hear the words, not someone exercising scales, like a third-rate Mariah Carey ...

Leona Lewis is just as bad, with that big hit of hers, where she appears to be singing, "You come eels in the night", which I assume she isn't. A fine source of mondegreens.....
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"You come eels in the night"
reminds me of a video i saw on the internet once
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:(Same applies to Strictly - when the professionals do a demo without the celebs, quality improves massively.)
With one difference, of course - the celebs in Strictly are not planning to make a living of dancing, after the show ends...
Frank
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

So what's the difference between this year's winner and last year's? Or did they just use the same person again and presume the people watching wouldn't notice? Or am I just being racist?
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Michael Wallace wrote:So what's the difference between this year's winner and last year's? Or did they just use the same person again and presume the people watching wouldn't notice? Or am I just being racist?
Did you forget the "All of the above" option on purpose? ;)
Frank
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:So what's the difference between this year's winner and last year's? Or did they just use the same person again and presume the people watching wouldn't notice? Or am I just being racist?
Not sure I understand your post. Last year's winner was short, white, male and Scottish. This year's is tall, black, female and comes from Norf Lahndahn. I think you'd have to be fairly undiscriminating to get them confused.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Not sure I understand your post. Last year's winner was short, white, male and Scottish. This year's is tall, black, female and comes from Norf Lahndahn. I think you'd have to be fairly undiscriminating to get them confused.
Oh really? I must mean the one from two years ago... Oh of course, because it was last year they didn't have the vaguely interesting guy win, instead opting for more blandness.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
... that or Michael could be blind and deaf. Though I think it's fair to assume most forumites aren't.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:Oh really? I must mean the one from two years ago... Oh of course, because it was last year they didn't have the vaguely interesting guy win, instead opting for more blandness.
So you meant Leona Lewis. The interesting guy last year was Rhydian Roberts, who lost out to Leon Jackson and there was an uproar over it.

Going by coincidences, people actually thought that Leon won last year, because the year before, Leona won, and if you take LEONA and remove the A you get LEON :roll: (I remember reading that in the paper). Also Ben lied saying that the voting was practically neck and neck (about a 1% difference), but Leon had a huge lead in the voting (something like that).

There is actually something about Alexandra that does make her different, from the other X Factor winners as far as I know :D.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRG7N_koxF0

I thought this was amazing.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Wow, sounds like here voice has been autotune effected. Some of it might have been trembly nerves, but i can only guess that she's developed her voice to mimic that all too common modern autotune vocal sound.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRG7N_koxF0

I thought this was amazing.
Yeah - isn't it meant to be "I'm walking on sunshine"?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I prefer her version.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy Wilson wrote:Wow, sounds like here voice has been autotune effected. Some of it might have been trembly nerves, but i can only guess that she's developed her voice to mimic that all too common modern autotune vocal sound.
Android
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I just watched a load of X Factor series 7 clips on Youtube, they all sounded autotuned. It's probably a result of audio compression during the upload of the clips.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ben Hunter wrote:I just watched a load of X Factor series 7 clips on Youtube, they all sounded autotuned. It's probably a result of audio compression during the upload of the clips.
My cousin watched the broadcast and she complained that a lot of it had been autotuned
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Can you hook a live vocal up through autotune? Listening again there, sounds very much autotuned.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andy Wilson wrote:Can you hook a live vocal up through autotune?
Yep, it's the cornerstone of modern live pop.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'd never heard the term "autotune" before and you cunts are bandying it about like it's an everyday word. Anyway I googled it and found this.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'd never heard the term "autotune" before and you cunts are bandying it about like it's an everyday word. Anyway I googled it and found this.
Also.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Gosh, how naive/silly I feel thinking she was doing that naturally. I've only tried using it once in the old studio in college, but when I did, my main problem was that I couldn't figure out how to use it on just a tiny piece of the vocal track. When I left it on for the whole track it messed with a lot of the good bits. I imagine this must be a problem with live performances? Anyway... fuck this X factor nonsense. Want to hear something really cool? http://sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com/album ... -people-ep
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I prefer her version too.

Anyway I knew that the Twitterati were out in their droves complaining, but I saw that the Daily Mail were the only ones reporting it and even that article was completely on the fence, and I wouldn't know how to tell the difference so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she's mimicking it then she's doing it well. If she's not, I'm not sure it's a bad thing that they use that shit anyway, so long as it's a level playing field.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I'm pretty sure i'm wrong about the mimicking. It was just wishful thinking really, her body language is so genuine. It's probably hampering her if anything, as when she naturally moves the notes she's singing it's picking up on it and making it sound electronic, but I really couldn't be arsed figuring out how the software properly worked when I used it so i'm not sure. It's not like the whole show itself isn't quite contrived anyway, so it doesn't really bother me, but it does interest me that they're using the tool.

But yeah, like, why are you watching that shit? Watch this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0ohgZFVqc
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'd never heard the term "autotune" before and you cunts are bandying it about like it's an everyday word. Anyway I googled it and found this.
Also.
Yep. That too.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Also.
I fucking LOVE auto-tuned news. I tried watching the normal news just now and had to turn it off, it was so fucking boring. At first I couldn't think why and then I realised it was because none of the newscasters or reporters or figures in the news had been auto-tuned. Fucking rubbish.

I've written an angry letter to the BBC but in the meantime, can someone upload an auto-tuned version of Newsnight for me tonight and send me a link? Cheers in advance.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Also.
They've got a lot better since when they started, this pleases me (because I thought they were pretty good back then).

I LIKE THINGS BEFORE THEY BECAME WELL KNOWN.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

X Factor is supposed to be a talent competition.
So how can we tell if they are telented in their own right if they are being autotuned?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The show is about having the X-factor, which may or may not correlate with talent. In an age where 95% of pop music uses this technology (an age where Cheryl Cole is seen as talented), raw singing ability is less of a factor.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

The show is evil and it's a shame that so many people take it seriously.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I wish I was around in the '60s and '70s. Look at the amount of talent in the first 30 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscxLlhMiig . I can't remember ever hearing a modern pop singer who sounded as subtley amazing as the old singers. I'm not that bothered because good singers are still around, it's just rubbish that you can't just casually hear them on the radio at work anymore.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Hunter wrote:I wish I was around in the '60s and '70s. Look at the amount of talent in the first 30 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscxLlhMiig . I can't remember ever hearing a modern pop singer who sounded as subtley amazing as the old singers. I'm not that bothered because good singers are still around, it's just rubbish that you can't just casually hear them on the radio at work anymore.
Don't forget that even then there was a large amount of derivative dross. We're just lucky to have the distilling effects of decades so that in general only the quality stuff is now remembered.

Aren't you allowed radio at work?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Cheryl Cole is absolutely retarded. What actually qualifies her to be a judge on X Factor? Putting Katie through ahead of Gamu is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I'm never watching this program again.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Cheryl Cole is absolutely retarded. What actually qualifies her to be a judge on X Factor? Putting Katie through ahead of Gamu is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I'm never watching this program again.
OMFG I hated it tonight. It was all so predictable and I knew she would get put through. And last night's where Cher fucked up? I mean if you fuck up in most things you don't get a second chance but on a show like this they turn a fuck up into a positive. They get Cheryl to go hug her then there's lots of crocodile tears. Also they left Cher until last on both shows it was so fucking transparent. I preferred Kerri (who we all call Corinne Bailey Rae). I thought she was great and should go through ahead of both Cher and that Katie Waissel. Also in Simon's category...SHOCK...the groups he put together from individuals BOTH went through...SHOCK! Unbelievable you just knew it from the start. Arghhhhh so annoying. And wtf has Louis done to Storm Lee's hair for the live shows (pink/red?...WTF?!?!). I mean seriously he was and probably still is my favourite person on it but he looks like a proper pillock now. Get Cher off the show the fucking slut, I hope she gets HIV from Aiden Grimshaw who is another prick. Nicolo Tesla (or whatever he's called) is also a foreign dick, should have got rid of him with Twem and them Diva guys (not homophobic). Mary Byrne...LOL[/rant]

Will still watch it next week though.

SCD FTW!!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Cheryl Cole is absolutely retarded. What actually qualifies her to be a judge on X Factor? Putting Katie through ahead of Gamu is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I'm never watching this program again.
OMFG I hated it tonight. It was all so predictable and I knew she would get put through. And last night's where Cher fucked up? I mean if you fuck up in most things you don't get a second chance but on a show like this they turn a fuck up into a positive. They get Cheryl to go hug her then there's lots of crocodile tears. Also they left Cher until last on both shows it was so fucking transparent. I preferred Kerri (who we all call Corinne Bailey Rae). I thought she was great and should go through ahead of both Cher and that Katie Waissel. Also in Simon's category...SHOCK...the groups he put together from individuals BOTH went through...SHOCK! Unbelievable you just knew it from the start. Arghhhhh so annoying. And wtf has Louis done to Storm Lee's hair for the live shows (pink/red?...WTF?!?!). I mean seriously he was and probably still is my favourite person on it but he looks like a proper pillock now. Get Cher off the show the fucking slut, I hope she gets HIV from Aiden Grimshaw who is another prick. Nicolo Tesla (or whatever he's called) is also a foreign dick, should have got rid of him with Twem and them Diva guys (not homophobic). Mary Byrne...LOL[/rant]

Will still watch it next week though.

SCD FTW!!
Tall - check
Ginger - check
Nice shorts - Jon check, Ryan yet to see...
Thinks Cheryl Cole is a *@!"£$%^^*&(... - check
Richard - if you're on here masquerading as Ryan or Jon we really need to have a talk :lol: Either that or you two guys are my hb's new bfs :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009