What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Paul Worsley »

Just finished Better Call Saul and Ozark. I enjoyed them both and will watch any future series. ( Ozark Season 2 is scheduled for mid 2018).

I'm undecided what to start next. It's between Stranger Things, Black Mirror and Peaky Blinders.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I can recommend all three I would watch Black Mirror next unless you don't like dystopian anthologies
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If you enjoy Sci Fi there are two new shows that are very good Altered Carbon, a cyber punk nourish series with a Blade runner feel to it.
Also Counterpart, a parallel universe spy drama with the brilliant J D Simmons playing two roles.
The former is on Netflix so you can binge watch it....as I am at the moment.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Back in 2005 I got the F1 seasons from 1979 to 1995 on DVD from eBay (definitely not taped off the TV and illegally sold), and yesterday I finally finished watching them! Definitely recommended watching though.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Watched all of Derry Girls now.

Best British comedy I've seen in several years.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:36 pm I can recommend all three I would watch Black Mirror next unless you don't like dystopian anthologies
I went with Stranger Things. A cross between The Goonies and the X-Files. It's well done and has kept me watching, but I may be a bit too old for all the teen angst stuff in it. I will probably do Peaky Blinders next.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Good choice.....I like Stranger Things because of the eighties setting and ironically the teenage angst.
When you get to my age you realise they were some of the best times of your life
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just called in here to see if anyone had mentioned The Young Offenders yet. Astonishingly, no one has. So, The Young Offenders. Also, Two Doors Down is very good. But really: The Young Offenders.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Have you seen the film that was made a couple of years ago ?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am Have you seen the film that was made a couple of years ago ?
which one
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am Have you seen the film that was made a couple of years ago ?
which one
Oh yeah , The Young Offenders, I should have used the quote feature for Phil's post
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 am
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 pm
which one
Oh yeah , The Young Offenders, I should have used the quote feature for Phil's post
No.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I see Robot Wars has been axed, again
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've just been watching The Last Train from 1999 on YouTube. It's a post-apocalyptic thing. It's pretty awful really but I found it quite enjoyable, and I didn't watch all the episodes when it was first on. Speaking of last trains, I'll give you this free - it's better than anything you'll get from wasters like Bieber or Swift nowadays.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Saw the first episode of Gone last night. Lazy writing and characterization. Might be okay once they get past referencing all of the things about the main characters that we're supposed to care about, but I doubt it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm Saw the first episode of Gone last night. Lazy writing and characterization. Might be okay once they get past referencing all of the things about the main characters that we're supposed to care about, but I doubt it.
Are you referring to Save Me , with Lenny James.
If you are, stick with it, it's murky and we'll acted although the last episode did suffer from DDS
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm Saw the first episode of Gone last night. Lazy writing and characterization. Might be okay once they get past referencing all of the things about the main characters that we're supposed to care about, but I doubt it.
If you are, stick with it, it's murky and we'll acted although the last episode did suffer from DDS
Nope, Gone, as per my first sentence! What's DDS?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 pm
The original title of Save Me was Gone.
DDS is disappointing denouement syndrome
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 pm

The original title of Save Me was Gone.
DDS is disappointing denouement syndrome
Ah, no, this is something entirely different.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 amSpeaking of last trains, I'll give you this free - it's better than anything you'll get from wasters like Bieber or Swift nowadays.
I've got that on cassette single (I've got all the KLF singles in the same format, in fact). Bet there's nobody else here who can say that.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I did like 3am and the crazy Tammy Wynette song, Justified and Ancient
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 amSpeaking of last trains, I'll give you this free - it's better than anything you'll get from wasters like Bieber or Swift nowadays.
I've got that on cassette single (I've got all the KLF singles in the same format, in fact). Bet there's nobody else here who can say that.
a) Gevin is into KLF?
b) are those tapes worth loads? I saw something on the YouTube comments about them deleting all their back catalogue from UK sale when they retired.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm
JimBentley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm I've got that on cassette single (I've got all the KLF singles in the same format, in fact). Bet there's nobody else here who can say that.
...are those tapes worth loads? I saw something on the YouTube comments about them deleting all their back catalogue from UK sale when they retired.
Unfortunately not, they were all big sellers so there's loads of copies out there. Although cassettes have had a bit of a resurgence in the past few years amongst people into retro technology, these just aren't rare enough to command more than a couple of quid each.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm
JimBentley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm
a) Gevin is into KLF?
I wouldn't say I'm into KLF as such. I like Last Train to Trancentral in particular - I think it's much better than 3am Eternal, for example, though I like that too. But generally, I've never been into bands. I like songs/tunes/whatever regardless of who churns them out and don't generally get massively attached to a particular band. Most people who are into bands probably hear a couple of songs and like them, and then they might buy an album or two and then have to go into denial about how shit most of the album tracks actually are. So going for individual tracks means you're not laden with this extra baggage - it's basically the sunk cost fallacy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 pm Just called in here to see if anyone had mentioned The Young Offenders yet. Astonishingly, no one has. So, The Young Offenders. Also, Two Doors Down is very good. But really: The Young Offenders.
Just watched the first three episodes.
Fucking hilarious , and moving at times, although it took me a while to get used to the accents.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 pm Just called in here to see if anyone had mentioned The Young Offenders yet. Astonishingly, no one has. So, The Young Offenders. Also, Two Doors Down is very good. But really: The Young Offenders.
Just watched the first three episodes.
Fucking hilarious , and moving at times, although it took me a while to get used to the accents.
After episode 3 I sobbed for about 10 minutes. Just beautifully written, performed and directed. I read one review that said "You'd want to hug them both if you didn't know where they'd been." It defeats me why this went out with no publicity whatsoever, while the same couple of unfunny trails for This Country keep being shown again and again.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

We will just have to use word of mouth to get people to watch it .
Although I would recommend not watching episode two whilst eating your dinner :) like I did.
Hopefully, Netflix will buy it and promote it properly.
Btw the 2016 film version of The Young Offenders is on Netflix, so I will be watching that after I've finished watching the series
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The latest series of The X-Files - disappointing.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 pm The latest series of The X-Files - disappointing.
Especially as Channel 5 have been broadcasting it at 11pm on a Monday evening. :evil:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:30 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 pm The latest series of The X-Files - disappointing.
Especially as Channel 5 have been broadcasting it at 11pm on a Monday evening. :evil:
And the double bill taking it to 1:00am!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Finished watching The Young Offenders.
Cant praise it highly enough.
Cant remember the last time a series has made me laugh out loud and cry like a baby so much.
I urge you to watch it.
Cant wait for a second series.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm Finished watching The Young Offenders.
Cant remember the last time a series has made me laugh out loud and cry like a baby so much.
I urge you to watch it.
This.

The full series is on iPlayer for at least another couple of months so do yourselves a favour.

If you're at all doubtful as to whether you might like it, consider this: it's been recommended to you in the strongest terms by both Marc Meakin and myself. This is possibly the only thing we have ever agreed on and should give you some inkling of the breadth of appeal this remarkable series has.

I raved about it on Facebook when it first started and for several weeks after had various friends coming up to me and saying, with an unmistakeable wobble in their voices, "Thank you for putting me on to The Young Offenders."

Series 2 was greenlit before series 1 aired and like Marc I can't wait.

Summary: Watch The Young Offenders.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm Finished watching The Young Offenders.
I urge you to watch it.
This.

The full series is on iPlayer for at least another couple of months so do yourselves a favour.

If you're at all doubtful as to whether you might like it, consider this: it's been recommended to you in the strongest terms by both Marc Meakin and myself. This is possibly the only thing we have ever agreed on and should give you some inkling of the breadth of appeal this remarkable series has.

I raved about it on Facebook when it first started and for several weeks after had various friends coming up to me and saying, with an unmistakeable wobble in their voices, "Thank you for putting me on to The Young Offenders."

Series 2 was greenlit before series 1 aired and like Marc I can't wait.

Summary: Watch The Young Offenders.
I suspect more people on here will spend time trawling through the archives trying to find other examples of what we have agreed on than taking the time to watch The Young Offenders.
I do have a theory why so many friends and family who I know would love it, don't bother.
It's because it contains the word young.
I remember hardly anyone watching The Young Ones first time around.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Strange that you Young Offenders fans haven't mentioned where to get it from. (It's a BBC3 programme, so on the iPlayer, it would appear.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is it that surprising though? It's "on BBC 3" - i.e. stuffed away on the iPlayer to be forgotten about. No-one would have any reason to know about it, until you pointed it out.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the first episode now.

Edit - Yeah, quite enjoyed it. I'll carry on with it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote: The full series is on iPlayer for at least another couple of months
Gavin Chipper wrote: Strange that you Young Offenders fans haven't mentioned where to get it from. (It's a BBC3 programme, so on the iPlayer, it would appear.)
Um...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am Is it that surprising though? It's "on BBC 3" - i.e. stuffed away on the iPlayer to be forgotten about. No-one would have any reason to know about it, until you pointed it out.
It was also shown on Friday nights on BBC1, which is how I initially came across it.
Anyway, I'm going to watch the first episode now.

Edit - Yeah, quite enjoyed it. I'll carry on with it.
Good man. 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:50 am
Phil Reynolds wrote: The full series is on iPlayer for at least another couple of months
Gavin Chipper wrote: Strange that you Young Offenders fans haven't mentioned where to get it from. (It's a BBC3 programme, so on the iPlayer, it would appear.)
Um...
Oh.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Also don't forget to watch the Film version.
It was made in 2016 and is set in 2007 .
Still very funny although I recommend you watch the series first
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The Young Offenders seems to have some celebrity endorsement in the form of F1 driver Sebastian Vettel:

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

We have watched episode 1 which we enjoyed, though it's not always totally easy to pick up the thick dialogue. Will get round to more but haven't done in the past month for some reason.

Recently we busted through 11.22.63 which had your typical Stephen King plotholes in it but we still enjoyed and was pretty easy to watch, fairly exciting and tense etc. Plus I just generally fancy James Franco so there's that.

All three seasons of Fargo were astoundingly good, to the point where I see no need to try and pick a favourite or pick a weak one, though most other people who have watched it seem to want to do this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm We have watched episode 1 which we enjoyed, though it's not always totally easy to pick up the thick dialogue. Will get round to more but haven't done in the past month for some reason.
Subtitles.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm
Recently we busted through 11.22.63 which had your typical Stephen King plotholes in it but we still enjoyed and was pretty easy to watch, fairly exciting and tense etc.
I can't believe that I haven't watched this yet, as I''m a Stephen King fan (mainly his books, but a lot of the film and TV adaptations are a lot of fun, especially the trashier ones) and also slightly obsessed with the JFK assassination (not in a conspiranoid way, just interested in how the events unfolded and all the different views that people have about it). Will look for it soon.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm We have watched episode 1 which we enjoyed, though it's not always totally easy to pick up the thick dialogue. Will get round to more but haven't done in the past month for some reason.

Recently we busted through 11.22.63 which had your typical Stephen King plotholes in it but we still enjoyed and was pretty easy to watch, fairly exciting and tense etc. Plus I just generally fancy James Franco so there's that.

All three seasons of Fargo were astoundingly good, to the point where I see no need to try and pick a favourite or pick a weak one, though most other people who have watched it seem to want to do this.
The writing by Noah Hawley is excellent.
You should check out Legion or read some of his books.
Fwiw I still prefer Season 1 but all three have been excellent.
David Thewlis was especially good in season three
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I finished watching The Young Offenders the other day. Pretty decent. I liked "Now Eat Some Weetabix" as an alternative to "Never Eat Shredded Wheat".

Has anyone been watching The City and The City? Pretty weird, and I'm still not convinced it's any good, but I found the second episode better than the first. Nearly didn't watch the second.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Aww, that's slightly disappointing to hear Gevin as I was incredibly excited to see that an on-screen version of one of Mieville's books had finally been produced, but at the same time knowing the incredible worlds he weaves and seeing the fact that it looked like a non-high-budget BBC production did fill me with a bit of fear. Not started yet but will report back and will definitely see it out to the conclusion regardless.

The City and The City is far from my favourite book of his, hopefully it gets a decent enough response that some visionary Hollywood type will pick up one of the more epic novels.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm I finished watching The Young Offenders the other day. Pretty decent. I liked "Now Eat Some Weetabix" as an alternative to "Never Eat Shredded Wheat".

Has anyone been watching The City and The City? Pretty weird, and I'm still not convinced it's any good, but I found the second episode better than the first. Nearly didn't watch the second.
I watched episode one and aside from laughing at the foul mouthed sidekick, was unimpressed.
Unlikely to see it through
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 pm Watched all of Derry Girls now.

Best British comedy I've seen in several years.
I saw the first three. Quite good fun.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:17 am Also don't forget to watch the Film version. [of The Young Offenders]
Watched the film last night. It was enjoyable up to a point but the plot ran out of steam towards the end and the minor characters weren't as subtly drawn as they are in the TV version. Thought it was quite amusing that the psychopathic drug dealer in the film and the uptight school principal in the TV series are played by the same actor. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I'd be that bothered about watching it again, whereas the TV series is one I anticipate revisiting from time to time in years to come.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:17 am Also don't forget to watch the Film version. [of The Young Offenders]
Watched the film last night. It was enjoyable up to a point but the plot ran out of steam towards the end and the minor characters weren't as subtly drawn as they are in the TV version. Thought it was quite amusing that the psychopathic drug dealer in the film and the uptight school principal in the TV series are played by the same actor. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I'd be that bothered about watching it again, whereas the TV series is one I anticipate revisiting from time to time in years to come.
It did feel a bit stretched as a comedy and I found the nailgun scene didn't work in a comedic sense but there were some funny scenes especially involving the bike road trip.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I am bingewatching Series 7, 8 and 9 of Masterchef Australia in an aim to catch up before 10. I am making good progress.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Two Reynolds suggestions we picked up from here. Young Offenders was ok, kind of vaguely fun and with some level of a kind of nostalgic cuteness to it, but hasn't impressed that much. Didn't really seem like a Reynolds pick even (which made me wonder if I was missing something).

But then Detectorists. Talk about pulling it back. Watched the whole lot over the last couple of weeks and definitely one of the best comedy dramas I've ever seen I think. Just wonderful. Superb character acting, cutesy low-level high-tension drama, really likeable casting, just felt so fucking brilliant, and just nice. Thanks! Probably definitely buying a metal detector.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm But then Detectorists. Talk about pulling it back. Watched the whole lot over the last couple of weeks and definitely one of the best comedy dramas I've ever seen I think. Just wonderful. Superb character acting, cutesy low-level high-tension drama, really likeable casting, just felt so fucking brilliant, and just nice. Thanks! Probably definitely buying a metal detector.
So much support for this. Can't remember what prompted me to watch it, but loved the first 2 series (all that Netflix has), and discovered that BBC were in the middle of reshowing the 3rd series - now just waiting for the finale this week. Absolutely charming.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm Two Reynolds suggestions we picked up from here. Young Offenders was ok, kind of vaguely fun and with some level of a kind of nostalgic cuteness to it, but hasn't impressed that much. Didn't really seem like a Reynolds pick even (which made me wonder if I was missing something).

But then Detectorists. Talk about pulling it back. Watched the whole lot over the last couple of weeks and definitely one of the best comedy dramas I've ever seen I think. Just wonderful. Superb character acting, cutesy low-level high-tension drama, really likeable casting, just felt so fucking brilliant, and just nice. Thanks! Probably definitely buying a metal detector.
The Detectorists was superb.
Watch out for a new comedy starring the brilliant Toby Jones coming soon.
Also I can recommend Marvelous a TV film about a Stoke Supporter.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm Young Offenders was ok, kind of vaguely fun and with some level of a kind of nostalgic cuteness to it, but hasn't impressed that much. Didn't really seem like a Reynolds pick even (which made me wonder if I was missing something).
You're missing something. (If you weren't bawling your eyes out by the end of episode 3, that something is possibly a chromosome.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah. Detectorists.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A Very English Scandal. Just outstanding in every way - writing, acting, direction, all superb. And for those of us old enough to remember the Thorpe trial and the sensation it caused, the blackly farcical tone is spot-on.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm A Very English Scandal. Just outstanding in every way - writing, acting, direction, all superb. And for those of us old enough to remember the Thorpe trial and the sensation it caused, the blackly farcical tone is spot-on.
It was good , though maybe they could have condensed it into a 2 hour film.
Ben Wishaw and Michelle Dotrice were a revelation.
If it wasn't a true story you would call it far fetched.
And I too remember the trial in the Seventies.
Did I imagine the headline in the Sun at the time 'Scott of the arse antics '
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm A Very English Scandal.
What would be the point of that? When TV's this good you want more of it, not less. But as it happens the story divided very logically into three - the affair and its aftermath, the murder plot, and the trial.

I've a feeling Monica Dolan's line "Who were those awful men? And why were they Welsh?" is going to become a classic.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm A Very English Scandal.
What would be the point of that? When TV's this good you want more of it, not less. But as it happens the story divided very logically into three - the affair and its aftermath, the murder plot, and the trial.

I've a feeling Monica Dolan's line "Who were those awful men? And why were they Welsh?" is going to become a classic.
I thought the first and third episodes were excellent.
It seemed a bit saggy in the middle.
Maybe its the binge watch culture that makes it harder to wait a week between episodes.