People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I think up to four sneezes is acceptable.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Good job you noticed that.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:39 am

Genuinely sneezed seventeen times in a row once. Don't get why this something not be trusted since it's a completely involuntary action. I'd rather have not sneezed that much but what was I supposed to do?

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9391
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 am

People who...
Image

Conor
Series 54 Champion
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 am
Location: Luton - UK

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Conor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 am

People who fan their face.
People who say "touch wood".

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Conor wrote:People who fan their face.
Doubly so when with their hands.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Conor wrote:People who fan their face.
Doubly so when with their hands.
Would it be OK if they had their hands amputated and replaced with fans, though?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:49 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Conor wrote:People who fan their face.
Doubly so when with their hands.
Would it be OK if they had their hands amputated and replaced with fans, though?
Well it still wouldn't be OK (see Conor's post) but as for whether it would count for double, I'll have to check and get back to you. It hasn't happened often enough for me to form an opinion.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Doubly so when with their hands.
Would it be OK if they had their hands amputated and replaced with fans, though?
Well it still wouldn't be OK (see Conor's post) but as for whether it would count for double, I'll have to check and get back to you. It hasn't happened often enough for me to form an opinion.
While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:44 pm

JimBentley wrote:While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Right - this is now sorted. People who have electric fans for hands and go on to fan their face with their hands are basically the same as people who use an electric fan to fan their face.

However, with hand fans it's more complicated. If they fan their face because they think their face actually needs fanning (so they would fan their face with an electric fan if that's all that was available), then it's the same. But if they fan their face because they're just doing that weird thing that people do when they're not even hot, then they are doubly bad. I don't think people would use an electric fan in such a manner.

You understand what I mean though don't you? Some people (and without wanting to sound sexist but it's mainly females) randomly fan their faces with their hands as a weird gesture or something in a variety of situations. It's incredibly bizarre.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Right - this is now sorted. People who have electric fans for hands and go on to fan their face with their hands are basically the same as people who use an electric fan to fan their face.

However, with hand fans it's more complicated. If they fan their face because they think their face actually needs fanning (so they would fan their face with an electric fan if that's all that was available), then it's the same. But if they fan their face because they're just doing that weird thing that people do when they're not even hot, then they are doubly bad. I don't think people would use an electric fan in such a manner.

You understand what I mean though don't you? Some people (and without wanting to sound sexist but it's mainly females) randomly fan their faces with their hands as a weird gesture or something in a variety of situations. It's incredibly bizarre.
Hmm, I'm not really convinced. I mean, how big can your cohort be? I've only ever heard of one person who has his hands replaced with electric fans, and believe me, I know where to look for them, if you know what I mean. I want a detailed breakdown of the sample sizes.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:52 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Right - this is now sorted. People who have electric fans for hands and go on to fan their face with their hands are basically the same as people who use an electric fan to fan their face.

However, with hand fans it's more complicated. If they fan their face because they think their face actually needs fanning (so they would fan their face with an electric fan if that's all that was available), then it's the same. But if they fan their face because they're just doing that weird thing that people do when they're not even hot, then they are doubly bad. I don't think people would use an electric fan in such a manner.

You understand what I mean though don't you? Some people (and without wanting to sound sexist but it's mainly females) randomly fan their faces with their hands as a weird gesture or something in a variety of situations. It's incredibly bizarre.
Hmm, I'm not really convinced. I mean, how big can your cohort be? I've only ever heard of one person who has his hands replaced with electric fans, and believe me, I know where to look for them, if you know what I mean. I want a detailed breakdown of the sample sizes.
It was proved from first principles rather than empirically.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:It was proved from first principles rather than empirically.
Doesn't wash. Admit it, you know nothing about the problems faced by people who - through various unfortunate household or industrial accidents - have had to have their hands replaced with electric fans, often comically oversized ones. You probably don't realise how serious a problem it is; but if I was to tell you you're as likely to meet a person walking down the street with hands replaced by electric fans as you are to meet a black transsexual, I think you'd change your mind, cos I can barely get out of the house without meeting at least one of either, although admittedly it is often the same person.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:05 pm

I assume the transsexual thing was due to a fan(ny) accident.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm

People who have a shower every day regardless of whether they actually need one.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4200
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jon O'Neill » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 pm

People who don't think they need to shower every day?

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:People who don't think they need to shower every day?
I think Gevin means that they would, like, have a shower on a Tuesday then hermetically seal themselves in a protective bubble, thereby remaining entirely clean and germ-free until the next day, but then would have a shower anyway because of their obsessive-compulsive disorder (that compels them to seal themselves in protective bubbles and stuff). At least, that seems the most likely explanation, as Gevin himself has only ever - in my admittedly limited experience - emitted an odour so pure that it can perhaps only be likened to such olfactory delights previously only connected with the likes of the fragrant Lady Archer.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:People who don't think they need to shower every day?
I don't! You can 96-hour anti-perspirant nowadays.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Apparently it's not that good for you to have a shower every day anyway. It washes off all your protective natural oils or something.

It's just some cultural bullshit anyway. I have a shower most days anyway because I go for a run most days but if I have a day without a run or anything else that makes me particularly sweaty/dirty of course I don't have a fucking shower. And unless you are a particularly sweaty or smelly person no-one would know and you'd soon lose that psychosomatic bullshit feeling of "Ooo I always feel dirty until I've had my daily shower."

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Amen to that. I even sometimes (albeit rarely) will go to work the day after having had a run on an evening previous without having had a shower. No smelliness problems, although in such cases, I do feel mucky. And I am very aware when I do actually smell.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 am

Ian Volante wrote:Amen to that. I even sometimes (albeit rarely) will go to work the day after having had a run on an evening previous without having had a shower. No smelliness problems, although in such cases, I do feel mucky. And I am very aware when I do actually smell.
When I go on a run I don't normally have a shower immediately after getting in. And sometimes when it comes to it, I think "Fuck it" and don't bother. But this is invariably in the winter when I haven't really sweated anyway. It has to be pretty cold for this to happen.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 am

People who are on Apterous but don't post on C4C and think this is an acceptable way to be part of the online Countdown community.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:32 pm

People who don't sneeze properly - they do this weird suppression thing.

Mark Mills
Rookie
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark Mills » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who don't sneeze properly - they do this weird suppression thing.
My wife..Tracey Mills does this and she knows I hate it...lol let it rip and clear you nasel congestion.... Image
Married to Tracey Mills but please don't be put off. :D

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 pm

People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:11 pm

JimBentley wrote:People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
People who defend this alleged behaviour as typical "harmless uni fun"/"boys being boys".
go away xoxo

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 pm

JimBentley wrote:People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
For some reason I found this post hilarious. Must have been the straight delivery of it. No messing about. Just the facts.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
For some reason I found this post hilarious. Must have been the straight delivery of it. No messing about. Just the facts.
To be honest, I was a bit amazed that nobody had commented along similar lines, and anyway the story is so funny that it doesn't need to be parodied, a straight delivery is funny enough. Besides, all the good jokes had already been done elsewhere.

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by James Laverty » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:26 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
For some reason I found this post hilarious. Must have been the straight delivery of it. No messing about. Just the facts.
To be honest, I was a bit amazed that nobody had commented along similar lines, and anyway the story is so funny that it doesn't need to be parodied, a straight delivery is funny enough. Besides, all the good jokes had already been done elsewhere.
Especially the Animal Farm one, right?

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 am

James Laverty wrote:People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 am

Mark James wrote:
James Laverty wrote:People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.
What about those of us who only sometimes say it? :?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Mark James wrote:
James Laverty wrote:People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.
So we basically have everyone who picks this thing on Only Connect.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Mark James wrote:
James Laverty wrote:People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.
What about those of us who only sometimes say it? :?
People without conviction.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:25 pm

People who use fountain pens
People who use analogue watches

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:39 pm

People for whom less than 87% of their forum posts are public.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:31 pm

People who say "world wide web".
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

James S Roper
Acolyte
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by James S Roper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:People who say "world wide web".
Although I know no-one to do this (including myself) I find it quite interesting that not more do, www. isn't an abbreviation verbally, it's 9 syllables compared to the 3 when you say world wide web.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:37 am

Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:09 am

Matt Morrison wrote:Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.
What's the problem with it?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:27 am

A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?

Anyway it's unclear that's what Deeks was referring to. People say World Wide Web primarily when they're talking about the World Wide Web rather than as part of a URL. Mark Deeks obviously hates this. People generally just talk about the internet even though they're not exactly the same thing.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am

Fair enough. I thought everyone was on the intarwebz these days anyway?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.
What's the problem with it?
I believe it's exactly as James described - the fact Heather mentioned was the "acronym that takes longer to say than the words it represents" thing.
Gavin Chipper wrote:A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than http://www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?
Not true. It's not universal, though it's way more prominent now than it was even a couple of years ago. Still, there are a couple of sites I occasionally make the mistake of visiting "domain.com" for and find I have to type the "www." back on the front.

Even when it is true there can be other complications, one of which you can see right here (I think it's still a thing) where the scope of the persistent login cookie does not extend to cover the domain both with and without "www." - so if you log in on "www." you can then go to the non-www version and find you won't be logged in. Quirks like that often exist even on sites which support www. and non-www.
Gavin Chipper wrote:Anyway it's unclear that's what Deeks was referring to. People say World Wide Web primarily when they're talking about the World Wide Web rather than as part of a URL. Mark Deeks obviously hates this. People generally just talk about the internet even though they're not exactly the same thing.
Timing suggests to me Mark was just saying the same thing but presenting it in a more vague and unique way.

Is this an appropriate time to admonish you for saying "internet" when you meant "Internet" or has the capital I been officially dropped now too? (I'm posing this as a question as I have no idea and I'm too lazy to check even if it means potentially having the opportunity to call you wrong.)

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Timing suggests to me Mark was just saying the same thing but presenting it in a more vague and unique way.
I was going for brevity because ultimately we're all going to die one day and I don't want to waste too much of the valuable time remaining. But this way is good too.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than http://www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?
Not true. It's not universal, though it's way more prominent now than it was even a couple of years ago. Still, there are a couple of sites I occasionally make the mistake of visiting "domain.com" for and find I have to type the "www." back on the front.

Even when it is true there can be other complications, one of which you can see right here (I think it's still a thing) where the scope of the persistent login cookie does not extend to cover the domain both with and without "www." - so if you log in on "www." you can then go to the non-www version and find you won't be logged in. Quirks like that often exist even on sites which support www. and non-www.
But isn't the conclusion from all this that it would be better for there not to be these two options and for the www. to have never existed?
Matt Morrison wrote:Is this an appropriate time to admonish you for saying "internet" when you meant "Internet" or has the capital I been officially dropped now too? (I'm posing this as a question as I have no idea and I'm too lazy to check even if it means potentially having the opportunity to call you wrong.)
There's no objective answer to this, and therefore nowhere to check. I did consider using a capital, but then I thought "nah".

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than http://www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?
Not true. It's not universal, though it's way more prominent now than it was even a couple of years ago. Still, there are a couple of sites I occasionally make the mistake of visiting "domain.com" for and find I have to type the "www." back on the front.
But isn't the conclusion from all this that it would be better for there not to be these two options and for the www. to have never existed?
There are many different facets to the Internet and although the web is the main point of traffic we think of when discussing the net, there are still multiple other services you can run from a single domain name, e.g.:
  • ftp.domain.com (file transfers)
  • nntp.domain.com (newsgroups)
  • smtp.domain.com / pop.domain.com / mail.domain.com (email)
So it makes sense for "www." to have existed from day one in order to identify world wide web traffic, which would not have been the 'default' when the Internet started.

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Adam Gillard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Matt Morrison wrote: There are many different facets to the Internet and although the web is the main point of traffic we think of when discussing the net, there are still multiple other services you can run from a single domain name, e.g.:
  • ftp.domain.com (file transfers)
  • nntp.domain.com (newsgroups)
  • smtp.domain.com / pop.domain.com / mail.domain.com (email)
So it makes sense for "www." to have existed from day one in order to identify world wide web traffic, which would not have been the 'default' when the Internet started.
Nice explanation, learned something new! :)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

Giles
Series 68 Champion
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Giles » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:01 am

People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Johnny Canuck » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Giles wrote:People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.
Are you sure they're intending it as a past tense? I know people who are texting so constantly that, for them, "text" needs no past tense.
"The use-mention distinction" is not "strictly enforced here".

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Giles wrote:People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.
Yep

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3248
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Phil Reynolds » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am

Men who spell their name "Aaron" but pronounce it "Arron".

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Men who spell their name "Aaron" and pronounce it accordingly. We've definitely grown up in different circles Phil.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Despite singing El Scorcho in my head all day, people who think Pinkerton was a better album than the Blue album.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Mark James wrote:Despite singing El Scorcho in my head all day, people who think Pinkerton was a better album than the Blue album.
Not having this. Pinkerton probably has more dud tracks (Getchoo, No Other One compared to just In The Garage on Blue), but the other 8 tracks are flat out brilliant, whereas some of Blue can feel really formulaic.

People who are weirdly precious about books.
go away xoxo

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7506
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:49 pm

They're both amazing albums. If there's a person willing to argue with you about which is better and you don't trust that person then you are the one not to be trusted.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Just to be clear I love both albums. Where my lack of trust comes in is that I suspect there are people (not necessarily yous) who say they think it's better just to be hip or because it was the failed album and that they are the only ones who appreciated it and thus are a better fan. The same thing happens with people who prefer Love's Da Capo to Forever Changes.

P.S. I love In The Garage.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Mark James wrote:Just to be clear I love both albums. Where my lack of trust comes in is that I suspect there are people (not necessarily yous) who say they think it's better just to be hip or because it was the failed album and that they are the only ones who appreciated it and thus are a better fan. The same thing happens with people who prefer Love's Da Capo to Forever Changes.

P.S. I love In The Garage.
Yeah, that's fair enough. It's definitely not me, though - I only ever bought Pinkerton because I was at a record shop while on holiday one year, where there was an album I wanted to buy and it was 2 for £10; the only other album on offer that caught my attention was Pinkerton, because I loved the few Weezer songs I knew (even though none were on that album). Listened to it on my dad's portable CD player later on during the holiday and Tired Of Sex just completely blew me away. (It's probably one of my Desert Island Discs.) Had no idea it was a failed album or anything like that.

I mean, I love Blue too, but listen to Pinkerton far more often.
go away xoxo

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:39 pm

People who call Cristiano Ronaldo "Ronaldo".

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

People who use the term "popular music".
People who have baths as adults.
People who ring the doorbell twice.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who use the term "popular music".
People who have baths as adults.
People who ring the doorbell twice.
My friends' doorbell rings once when you push the button in, and once when you let it go again. I feel disappointed in your broad-brushing statement.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests