People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think up to four sneezes is acceptable.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Good job you noticed that.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Genuinely sneezed seventeen times in a row once. Don't get why this something not be trusted since it's a completely involuntary action. I'd rather have not sneezed that much but what was I supposed to do?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

People who...
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

People who fan their face.
People who say "touch wood".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Conor wrote:People who fan their face.
Doubly so when with their hands.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Would it be OK if they had their hands amputated and replaced with fans, though?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Would it be OK if they had their hands amputated and replaced with fans, though?
Well it still wouldn't be OK (see Conor's post) but as for whether it would count for double, I'll have to check and get back to you. It hasn't happened often enough for me to form an opinion.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Doubly so when with their hands.
Well it still wouldn't be OK (see Conor's post) but as for whether it would count for double, I'll have to check and get back to you. It hasn't happened often enough for me to form an opinion.
While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Right - this is now sorted. People who have electric fans for hands and go on to fan their face with their hands are basically the same as people who use an electric fan to fan their face.

However, with hand fans it's more complicated. If they fan their face because they think their face actually needs fanning (so they would fan their face with an electric fan if that's all that was available), then it's the same. But if they fan their face because they're just doing that weird thing that people do when they're not even hot, then they are doubly bad. I don't think people would use an electric fan in such a manner.

You understand what I mean though don't you? Some people (and without wanting to sound sexist but it's mainly females) randomly fan their faces with their hands as a weird gesture or something in a variety of situations. It's incredibly bizarre.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:While you're checking (and because of your lackadaisical attitude to detail, you'll probably forget) make sure you check the details for both hand fans and electric fans.
Right - this is now sorted. People who have electric fans for hands and go on to fan their face with their hands are basically the same as people who use an electric fan to fan their face.

However, with hand fans it's more complicated. If they fan their face because they think their face actually needs fanning (so they would fan their face with an electric fan if that's all that was available), then it's the same. But if they fan their face because they're just doing that weird thing that people do when they're not even hot, then they are doubly bad. I don't think people would use an electric fan in such a manner.

You understand what I mean though don't you? Some people (and without wanting to sound sexist but it's mainly females) randomly fan their faces with their hands as a weird gesture or something in a variety of situations. It's incredibly bizarre.
Hmm, I'm not really convinced. I mean, how big can your cohort be? I've only ever heard of one person who has his hands replaced with electric fans, and believe me, I know where to look for them, if you know what I mean. I want a detailed breakdown of the sample sizes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Hmm, I'm not really convinced. I mean, how big can your cohort be? I've only ever heard of one person who has his hands replaced with electric fans, and believe me, I know where to look for them, if you know what I mean. I want a detailed breakdown of the sample sizes.
It was proved from first principles rather than empirically.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It was proved from first principles rather than empirically.
Doesn't wash. Admit it, you know nothing about the problems faced by people who - through various unfortunate household or industrial accidents - have had to have their hands replaced with electric fans, often comically oversized ones. You probably don't realise how serious a problem it is; but if I was to tell you you're as likely to meet a person walking down the street with hands replaced by electric fans as you are to meet a black transsexual, I think you'd change your mind, cos I can barely get out of the house without meeting at least one of either, although admittedly it is often the same person.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I assume the transsexual thing was due to a fan(ny) accident.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who have a shower every day regardless of whether they actually need one.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

People who don't think they need to shower every day?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:People who don't think they need to shower every day?
I think Gevin means that they would, like, have a shower on a Tuesday then hermetically seal themselves in a protective bubble, thereby remaining entirely clean and germ-free until the next day, but then would have a shower anyway because of their obsessive-compulsive disorder (that compels them to seal themselves in protective bubbles and stuff). At least, that seems the most likely explanation, as Gevin himself has only ever - in my admittedly limited experience - emitted an odour so pure that it can perhaps only be likened to such olfactory delights previously only connected with the likes of the fragrant Lady Archer.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:People who don't think they need to shower every day?
I don't! You can 96-hour anti-perspirant nowadays.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Apparently it's not that good for you to have a shower every day anyway. It washes off all your protective natural oils or something.

It's just some cultural bullshit anyway. I have a shower most days anyway because I go for a run most days but if I have a day without a run or anything else that makes me particularly sweaty/dirty of course I don't have a fucking shower. And unless you are a particularly sweaty or smelly person no-one would know and you'd soon lose that psychosomatic bullshit feeling of "Ooo I always feel dirty until I've had my daily shower."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Amen to that. I even sometimes (albeit rarely) will go to work the day after having had a run on an evening previous without having had a shower. No smelliness problems, although in such cases, I do feel mucky. And I am very aware when I do actually smell.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:Amen to that. I even sometimes (albeit rarely) will go to work the day after having had a run on an evening previous without having had a shower. No smelliness problems, although in such cases, I do feel mucky. And I am very aware when I do actually smell.
When I go on a run I don't normally have a shower immediately after getting in. And sometimes when it comes to it, I think "Fuck it" and don't bother. But this is invariably in the winter when I haven't really sweated anyway. It has to be pretty cold for this to happen.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who are on Apterous but don't post on C4C and think this is an acceptable way to be part of the online Countdown community.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who don't sneeze properly - they do this weird suppression thing.
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who don't sneeze properly - they do this weird suppression thing.
My wife..Tracey Mills does this and she knows I hate it...lol let it rip and clear you nasel congestion.... Image
Married to Tracey Mills but please don't be put off. :D
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

JimBentley wrote:People who put their penises in the mouths of dead pigs.
People who defend this alleged behaviour as typical "harmless uni fun"/"boys being boys".
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

For some reason I found this post hilarious. Must have been the straight delivery of it. No messing about. Just the facts.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
For some reason I found this post hilarious. Must have been the straight delivery of it. No messing about. Just the facts.
To be honest, I was a bit amazed that nobody had commented along similar lines, and anyway the story is so funny that it doesn't need to be parodied, a straight delivery is funny enough. Besides, all the good jokes had already been done elsewhere.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
To be honest, I was a bit amazed that nobody had commented along similar lines, and anyway the story is so funny that it doesn't need to be parodied, a straight delivery is funny enough. Besides, all the good jokes had already been done elsewhere.
Especially the Animal Farm one, right?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

James Laverty wrote:People who say horr-nedd viper on Only Connect
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote:
I would have thought that people still do it now out of a kind of tradition. At this stage I'd be upset if people didn't do it and I'd add people who didn't do it to this list because I'd feel like they were simply not doing it out of some kind of desperate need to appear above it all in some way.
What about those of us who only sometimes say it? :?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
So we basically have everyone who picks this thing on Only Connect.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:
Mark James wrote:
What about those of us who only sometimes say it? :?
People without conviction.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who use fountain pens
People who use analogue watches
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

People for whom less than 87% of their forum posts are public.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who say "world wide web".
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Mark Deeks wrote:People who say "world wide web".
Although I know no-one to do this (including myself) I find it quite interesting that not more do, www. isn't an abbreviation verbally, it's 9 syllables compared to the 3 when you say world wide web.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.
What's the problem with it?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?

Anyway it's unclear that's what Deeks was referring to. People say World Wide Web primarily when they're talking about the World Wide Web rather than as part of a URL. Mark Deeks obviously hates this. People generally just talk about the internet even though they're not exactly the same thing.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fair enough. I thought everyone was on the intarwebz these days anyway?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Obviously both of you watched the same thing or read the same article as Heather did this week as she mentioned this too.
What's the problem with it?
I believe it's exactly as James described - the fact Heather mentioned was the "acronym that takes longer to say than the words it represents" thing.
Gavin Chipper wrote:A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than http://www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?
Not true. It's not universal, though it's way more prominent now than it was even a couple of years ago. Still, there are a couple of sites I occasionally make the mistake of visiting "domain.com" for and find I have to type the "www." back on the front.

Even when it is true there can be other complications, one of which you can see right here (I think it's still a thing) where the scope of the persistent login cookie does not extend to cover the domain both with and without "www." - so if you log in on "www." you can then go to the non-www version and find you won't be logged in. Quirks like that often exist even on sites which support www. and non-www.
Gavin Chipper wrote:Anyway it's unclear that's what Deeks was referring to. People say World Wide Web primarily when they're talking about the World Wide Web rather than as part of a URL. Mark Deeks obviously hates this. People generally just talk about the internet even though they're not exactly the same thing.
Timing suggests to me Mark was just saying the same thing but presenting it in a more vague and unique way.

Is this an appropriate time to admonish you for saying "internet" when you meant "Internet" or has the capital I been officially dropped now too? (I'm posing this as a question as I have no idea and I'm too lazy to check even if it means potentially having the opportunity to call you wrong.)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Timing suggests to me Mark was just saying the same thing but presenting it in a more vague and unique way.
I was going for brevity because ultimately we're all going to die one day and I don't want to waste too much of the valuable time remaining. But this way is good too.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:A number of years ago the people who make websites realised that you can do so without the www. (how stupid were they feeling after all those years?) so it's largely redundant. E.g. you can just say and go to c4countdown.co.uk rather than http://www.c4countdown.co.uk. What's the www. for?
Not true. It's not universal, though it's way more prominent now than it was even a couple of years ago. Still, there are a couple of sites I occasionally make the mistake of visiting "domain.com" for and find I have to type the "www." back on the front.

Even when it is true there can be other complications, one of which you can see right here (I think it's still a thing) where the scope of the persistent login cookie does not extend to cover the domain both with and without "www." - so if you log in on "www." you can then go to the non-www version and find you won't be logged in. Quirks like that often exist even on sites which support www. and non-www.
But isn't the conclusion from all this that it would be better for there not to be these two options and for the www. to have never existed?
Matt Morrison wrote:Is this an appropriate time to admonish you for saying "internet" when you meant "Internet" or has the capital I been officially dropped now too? (I'm posing this as a question as I have no idea and I'm too lazy to check even if it means potentially having the opportunity to call you wrong.)
There's no objective answer to this, and therefore nowhere to check. I did consider using a capital, but then I thought "nah".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
But isn't the conclusion from all this that it would be better for there not to be these two options and for the www. to have never existed?
There are many different facets to the Internet and although the web is the main point of traffic we think of when discussing the net, there are still multiple other services you can run from a single domain name, e.g.:
  • ftp.domain.com (file transfers)
  • nntp.domain.com (newsgroups)
  • smtp.domain.com / pop.domain.com / mail.domain.com (email)
So it makes sense for "www." to have existed from day one in order to identify world wide web traffic, which would not have been the 'default' when the Internet started.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Morrison wrote: There are many different facets to the Internet and although the web is the main point of traffic we think of when discussing the net, there are still multiple other services you can run from a single domain name, e.g.:
  • ftp.domain.com (file transfers)
  • nntp.domain.com (newsgroups)
  • smtp.domain.com / pop.domain.com / mail.domain.com (email)
So it makes sense for "www." to have existed from day one in order to identify world wide web traffic, which would not have been the 'default' when the Internet started.
Nice explanation, learned something new! :)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Giles wrote:People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.
Are you sure they're intending it as a past tense? I know people who are texting so constantly that, for them, "text" needs no past tense.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Giles wrote:People who think the past tense of the verb text is text.
Yep
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Men who spell their name "Aaron" but pronounce it "Arron".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Men who spell their name "Aaron" and pronounce it accordingly. We've definitely grown up in different circles Phil.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Despite singing El Scorcho in my head all day, people who think Pinkerton was a better album than the Blue album.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Mark James wrote:Despite singing El Scorcho in my head all day, people who think Pinkerton was a better album than the Blue album.
Not having this. Pinkerton probably has more dud tracks (Getchoo, No Other One compared to just In The Garage on Blue), but the other 8 tracks are flat out brilliant, whereas some of Blue can feel really formulaic.

People who are weirdly precious about books.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

They're both amazing albums. If there's a person willing to argue with you about which is better and you don't trust that person then you are the one not to be trusted.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just to be clear I love both albums. Where my lack of trust comes in is that I suspect there are people (not necessarily yous) who say they think it's better just to be hip or because it was the failed album and that they are the only ones who appreciated it and thus are a better fan. The same thing happens with people who prefer Love's Da Capo to Forever Changes.

P.S. I love In The Garage.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Mark James wrote:Just to be clear I love both albums. Where my lack of trust comes in is that I suspect there are people (not necessarily yous) who say they think it's better just to be hip or because it was the failed album and that they are the only ones who appreciated it and thus are a better fan. The same thing happens with people who prefer Love's Da Capo to Forever Changes.

P.S. I love In The Garage.
Yeah, that's fair enough. It's definitely not me, though - I only ever bought Pinkerton because I was at a record shop while on holiday one year, where there was an album I wanted to buy and it was 2 for £10; the only other album on offer that caught my attention was Pinkerton, because I loved the few Weezer songs I knew (even though none were on that album). Listened to it on my dad's portable CD player later on during the holiday and Tired Of Sex just completely blew me away. (It's probably one of my Desert Island Discs.) Had no idea it was a failed album or anything like that.

I mean, I love Blue too, but listen to Pinkerton far more often.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who call Cristiano Ronaldo "Ronaldo".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who use the term "popular music".
People who have baths as adults.
People who ring the doorbell twice.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who use the term "popular music".
People who have baths as adults.
People who ring the doorbell twice.
My friends' doorbell rings once when you push the button in, and once when you let it go again. I feel disappointed in your broad-brushing statement.