People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Euan Slatter »

Peter Mabey wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm
Euan Slatter wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 pm Frank Feilding, Fabian Gieffer, Richard O'Donnell, Max O'Leary.
... and Einstein :)
???????
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who tell you what collective nouns of animals are. No one cares. No one ever uses them in any other context other than telling you they exist and even then, who decided they exist in the first place? You might get it in a quiz or something, like "what's a group of owls called?" Well what the hell is wrong with the word group. Can't all groups of animals be called groups instead of trying to come up with stupid names that don't even help differentiate since you have to say the animal anyway.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm People who tell you what collective nouns of animals are. No one cares. No one ever uses them in any other context other than telling you they exist and even then, who decided they exist in the first place? You might get it in a quiz or something, like "what's a group of owls called?" Well what the hell is wrong with the word group. Can't all groups of animals be called groups instead of trying to come up with stupid names that don't even help differentiate since you have to say the animal anyway.
Parliament. You only had to ask.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Pretty much anyone on EastEnders
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Euan Slatter wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm Pretty much anyone on EastEnders
Especially the fictional ones
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

People who say "Thanking you" instead of "Thank you".
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm People who tell you what collective nouns of animals are. No one cares. No one ever uses them in any other context other than telling you they exist and even then, who decided they exist in the first place? You might get it in a quiz or something, like "what's a group of owls called?" Well what the hell is wrong with the word group. Can't all groups of animals be called groups instead of trying to come up with stupid names that don't even help differentiate since you have to say the animal anyway.
Agreed.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who wear wedges. That "filled in" heel look is the most disgusting footwear I've ever seen. I was under the impression that a higher heel was for aesthetics rather than comfort so why you would choose both uncomfortable and ugly shoes is beyond me.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Wedges were very hip in the seventies.
I stick to potato wedges now
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who celebrate "birthdays" of inanimate objects (especially things like movies and video games). I would also add people who wish celebrities happy birthday unless of course they actually know them but then I'm sure they'd let them know directly rather than through some Facebook meme. It's especially egregious when it comes to dead celebrities. I don't really care how old someone would have been if they were still alive.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pmIt's especially egregious when it comes to dead celebrities. I don't really care how old someone would have been if they were still alive.
You must hate Google.

I'm still getting over the finger clicking thing.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mark James wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm People who celebrate "birthdays" of inanimate objects (especially things like movies and video games).
Does that mean, ever since the 30th Birthday Championship, Countdown itself is not to be trusted?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm
Mark James wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pmIt's especially egregious when it comes to dead celebrities. I don't really care how old someone would have been if they were still alive.
You must hate Google.
Good point. I don't mind them as much. If they have a little game to go along with it that's usually cool. It's more a facebook thing where it annoys me. Someone recently had made a little meme wishing Denzel Washington a happy birthday. He doesn't know Denzel Washington and it's not like Denzel is ever gonna see it. Then I was told Robin Williams would have been whatever age he would have been and I just didn't get. There's enough crap clogging up facebook timeline without this nonsense.

With films and games thing, I don't mind as much people pointing out that something is x amount of years old, it's more when they specify an actual day, call that a birthday and then wish the inanimate object happy birthday. E.G. someone pointed out that Goldeneye was 20 years old this year. Fair enough, that's kind of interesting I guess but then I saw someone write in to the letters page of a gaming magazine saying "Just want to wish The Witcher a happy birthday as it was ten last Thursday".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

What is this?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm
What is this?
This.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who say "You look healthy" to someone who has come back from holiday sunburnt. It's not a sign of good health. How did that even become a thing?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm
What is this?
This.
Ah I see, thought I'd missed yet another meme du jour.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who do their Facebook updates in those stupid coloured boxes. Fuck off.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who still have their profile picture with the tricolour, from the I'm Charlie Hebdo terrorism
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who still have their profile picture with the tricolour, from the I'm Charlie Hebdo terrorism
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Whoever set the lyrics of Joy to the World to music. "Heaven" is quite obviously a two-syllable word and has two perfectly handy beats available for it in the last line of the first verse, and yet it's always sung as "And heh-ehvn, and heh-ehvn and nature sing", with the first syllable stretched over both beats and the second one squished pointlessly into the end of the second beat. (I also heard this atrocity in O Come All Ye Faithful.)
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

People who wear the so called "fashionable" ripped jeans. It looks tacky.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am People who wear the so called "fashionable" ripped jeans. It looks tacky.
What's even more stupid is that they pay full price for these jeans, sometimes even more than an unripped pair. Why don't they just buy a pair of well-worn second-hand jeans from a charity shop or something? It would be much cheaper and it would be what they're after.

These people are complete cunts.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:07 am
Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am People who wear the so called "fashionable" ripped jeans. It looks tacky.
What's even more stupid is that they pay full price for these jeans, sometimes even more than an unripped pair. Why don't they just buy a pair of well-worn second-hand jeans from a charity shop or something? It would be much cheaper and it would be what they're after.

These people are complete cunts.
Absolutely my sentiments! I don't get why you'd want to wear ripped jeans, but if you really had some nagging urge to do so it would be much cheaper to just get an old pair of jeans, butcher them a bit so they look as ridiculous and then wear them. And the money you save can go towards a head examination.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Wait until you hear this rap "music". It's just people talking over noise. The language is atrocious too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:11 pm
Wait until you hear this rap "music". It's just people talking over noise. The language is atrocious too.
Way ahead of you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Not nearly as irritating as people who wear low riders
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who have their faces turned into those stupid cartoon animals and put them on the internet, especially when they have them for profile pictures. What the fuck is that actually about?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm People who have their faces turned into those stupid cartoon animals and put them on the internet, especially when they have them for profile pictures. What the fuck is that actually about?
Pleasingly, I've not seen any of my FB friends do this. I must be extremely discerning.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm People who have their faces turned into those stupid cartoon animals and put them on the internet, especially when they have them for profile pictures. What the fuck is that actually about?
Pleasingly, I've not seen any of my FB friends do this. I must be extremely discerning.
I'm not sure any of mine have either, but I get random friend suggestions from Facebook - sometimes people I have one mutual friend with, and sometimes, bizarrely, apparently none. And anyway, some of these have these faces.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:10 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:People who say "fruit" when they mean "shitty gone-off grapes". People who think it's acceptable to put shitty gone-off grapes into food. Way to ruin a good pudding/dessert.
You mean sultanas? Raisins? Either way, they've not gone off at all, as they've been preserved. And really plump sultanas are fucking delicious (I'm talking about the preserved grapes, rather than overweight wives of sultans, although it may be true that they too are delicious). You are obviously mad.
I remembered this from before so did another search, but even among shitty gone-off grapes, there's a pecking order, and it's not looking good for sultanas.

Why don't people just buy proper chocolate? "Hi - can I buy some chocolate please? Yeah, I want it to be ruined with some nasty stuff, but don't take the piss!"
Real shame.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who think the letter "x" has a "g" in it, as in "Breggsit".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Eggsactly
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 am People who think the letter "x" has a "g" in it, as in "Breggsit".
Probably a bad time to point this out with Easter on the way
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

People who, after you write an exam, demand to know how you think you did on it. I mean, what's the point of being forced to self-evaluate (potentially incriminating yourself as a lazy person/bad studier) if you're going to get a mark soon enough anyway? While living with my family, on several occasions, knowing I'd need to answer those questions became at least as big a source of anxiety for me as the exams themselves.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Also people who say 'Dont lose them' when lending you their keys
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

People who check they've still got the tickets for something at least 5 times on a journey, as if it's possible they've somehow grown a pair of legs and walked from the spot they know they've put them in.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who actually click on adverts on Google, Facebook etc. Who are these people?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who treat Easter like Christmas with Trees and Baubles.
John Lewis have sold loads.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who think starting campaigns to get a particular song to number one is any kind of useful protest.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who chose Frosties over Sugar Puffs.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 am People who chose Frosties over Sugar Puffs.
Or Tomita over Tangerine Dream :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who refer to strong winds as "high winds". High winds is when you're up a hill and it's more windy there.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

People who draw horizontal lines through their 7s.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm People who draw horizontal lines through their 7s.
So you don't trust the Germans then.
Racist :)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who go to the toilet on their lunch break. Don't waste a perfectly good bathroom break you capitalist bootlickers.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:50 am People who go to the toilet on their lunch break. Don't waste a perfectly good bathroom break you capitalist boot awlickers.
When you gotta you gotta go.
Although have you noticed a new trend , well at John Lewis at least , where people take bathroom breaks to spend time on their phones.
Inconvenient when someone genuine is dying for a shit
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

People who say "Well, we have to go now", and are still there 20 minutes later.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 am
Mark James wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:50 am People who go to the toilet on their lunch break. Don't waste a perfectly good bathroom break you capitalist boot awlickers.
Members of the proletariat who can't hold it in to stick it to the bourgeoisie. Straight to the gulag with you.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 am
Members of the proletariat who can't hold it in to stick it to the bourgeoisie. Straight to the gulag with you.
Couldn't agree more. Marc is evidently in need of re-education.

Incidentally, how did "bootlickers" get changed into "boot awlickers" in your quote?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm
Mark James wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 am

Couldn't agree more. Marc is evidently in need of re-education.

Incidentally, how did "bootlickers" get changed into "boot awlickers" in your quote?
I must of inadvertently added the A.
I do make up for my toilet midemeaners by ensuring if I am ten minutes late in the morning that I leave ten minutes early to make up for it 😁
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm People who draw horizontal lines through their 7s.
I do that. I didn't really know why until now: I am innately untrustworthy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who add the "hat" onto their 5s at the end as a separate line, rather than starting with it in the top right as you would with an S.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Jeanne Calment?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Conor wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:03 pmJeanne Calment?
Good work.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm People who add the "hat" onto their 5s at the end as a separate line, rather than starting with it in the top right as you would with an S.
I do that as well. I'm failing all the handwriting ones. Also, I cross zeds, which I can't believe is trustworthy.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Tim Down wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm People who add the "hat" onto their 5s at the end as a separate line, rather than starting with it in the top right as you would with an S.
I do that as well. I'm failing all the handwriting ones. Also, I cross zeds, which I can't believe is trustworthy.
Well done - that is the correct way to write the number five.

It's on the internet so it must be true.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Tim Down wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am Also, I cross zeds, which I can't believe is trustworthy.
You monster!

In Fiona's diagram, I do 3 - 1 -2. Isn't that more normal?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:59 pm
Tim Down wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am Also, I cross zeds, which I can't believe is trustworthy.
You monster!

In Fiona's diagram, I do 3 - 1 -2. Isn't that more normal?
But 3 in the opposite direction from the arrow, right?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Having spent far more minutes than it's worth today working out how I write a 5 when not thinking (I was taught the way in the diagram) I have concluded that I start in the corner, draw the three line, draw it back in reverse then 1 - 2. So double up on the top. I'm not sure what this does to my trustworthiness though.