(Men) sitting down for a wee

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: (Men) sitting down for a wee

Post by JimBentley »

If I look closely at the rim of the toilet after having a piss - oh, that's a standing-up piss obviously - there's always some minute speckles of urine there, usually on the back rim, next to where the seat attaches. And that's no matter how clean and direct a piss it seems to be at the time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
David Barnard wrote:use gravity to guide it into the bowl
This gives the impression you're peeing up into the air and allowing gravity to take its toll.
I try to avoid using gravity, and thunder vertically down into the bowl as noisily as possible.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Barnard wrote:By my calculations (obviously this is an estimate and about 4 pees a day since being 14 years old where this may have first been a variable) I have peed around 2920 days which equates to 11,680 pees. The one fail means the fail rate is 0.009%, I'll take that
This is absolute bollocks though. Nobody wants to stand up (lol) and say "yeah okay, I tend to piss everywhere but so what?" so everybody instead makes out that they have awesome aim. So that means, generally, everybody has awesome aim and those of us that choose to sit down are the weird ones. A quick visit to any public toilet anywhere (and I mean ones in professional office environments, not manky portaloos) tells you that this simply isn't true and you're all a bunch of deluded cunts. There's always piss everywhere.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What to people make of people who piss directly into the water so that they make as much noise as possible rather than pissing off to the side? I think they're pretty bad people.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I piss directly into the water, it saves having to get out of the bath.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What to people make of people who piss directly into the water so that they make as much noise as possible rather than pissing off to the side? I think they're pretty bad people.
But spraying noise out of the bowl is surely better than spraying piss?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:What to people make of people who piss directly into the water so that they make as much noise as possible rather than pissing off to the side? I think they're pretty bad people.
You're not spraying piss by just not pissing directly into the water!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
You're not spraying piss by just not pissing directly into the water!
In most toilet bowls that I've used, pissing to the side of the water causes drops of piss to bespatter the horizontal top of the bowl and beyond. That's often still preferable to me to thundering in the water though.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Bowl bespattering in your own home is of course more of a concern than if you are using a public toilet or are chez someone you don't like much. Depends on your morals I guess.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote:Bowl bespattering in your own home is of course more of a concern than if you are using a public toilet or are chez someone you don't like much. Depends on your morals I guess.
And then of course there's bowel spattering, which is another thing entirely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I would say there is most definitely not a hard fast rule for whether water or porcelain produces less spray. And even considering the porcelain to be one area is pointless.
Every single toilet is quite different in terms of flat bits, curved bits, angles. As long as you're happy with your technique at home sometimes that's the best you can hope for.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just realised you started this in the "sit down" thread Gevin. Surely this is more relevant for the standers.
Any discrepancy between what you aim at is greatly reduced when sitting due to a more limited range of angles available and of course the lesser height of travel.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Wow hang on there's not an actual standing up thread is there, that is just for women. This whole thing is so confusing.

I wipe down the toilet rim after every single piss if I'm standing up. Do you?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I seriously think we should apply for some funding to write a scholarly paper on this subject. Putting our combined knowledge into a definitive study would I'm sure result in an invaluable resource to the piss researchers of the future.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I wipe down the toilet rim after every single piss if I'm standing up. Do you?
I mean, really, that's proof right there that the world should sit.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I usually find my rim doesn't need a wipe.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

This is a hot topic in Germany.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30937492
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

ICH BIN EIN SITZPINKLER

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

YES
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Out of curiosity, hat do the standers do in the dead of night? Put the light on? Stand in the dark?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Usually in the dark. Too sleepy to want to turn the light on, and the ambient light from outside (and the sound feedback from the bowl) are enough to keep me aligned.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Out of curiosity, hat do the standers do in the dead of night? Put the light on? Stand in the dark?
Obviously put the light on. That's the most stupid question I've ever heard. Why would I walk into a dark room at 8pm and turn the light on but not do the same if it was 3am? And it's nothing to do with the fact that I stand. It would be the same whatever I was going to do in the room I'd just walked into.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Out of curiosity, hat do the standers do in the dead of night? Put the light on? Stand in the dark?
Obviously put the light on. That's the most stupid question I've ever heard. Why would I walk into a dark room at 8pm and turn the light on but not do the same if it was 3am? And it's nothing to do with the fact that I stand. It would be the same whatever I was going to do in the room I'd just walked into.
Because it would be uncomfy and would cause you to wake more? I rarely put lights on if I'm pottering about the house during the night, mainly cos I don't want to stand there blinking like a buffoon and extending my awake period unnecessarily.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You standers would love one of these, I almost invested just for the pretty: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... tion-activ
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Admittedly "hat do..." is a stupid question, but you're definitely in the minority here I would think. Most people wouldn't put a light on if they didn't need to at 3am, because, as Ian says, it wakes you up, it's harsh on your eyes, and it disturbs other people in the house. Since a large part of the reason for sitting down is out of courtesy to others, I'm not surprised that it doesn't occur you to be considerate to other people, you selfish prick.
And Ian, that's rank. Your bathroom must be covered in piss.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Basically I put the seat up, touch my shins against the bowl, lean against the back wall and aim directly downwards. 100% of the time I hear a tinkle of success as I hit the water first squirt with no adjustment necessary.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote: And Ian, that's rank. Your bathroom must be covered in piss.
Maybe so, but the floor gets cleaned at least annually.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:ANOTHER RELEVANT KICKSTARTER!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ble-urinal
I was interested in this item in the list of benefits:
Designed to adjust to any angle - works great in the “morning” :)
What can they possibly mean?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha. Ceiling-mountable.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Weird they didn't mention pissing to the side of the water as it's quite an obvious option.

By the way, to piss directly into the water you'd need to be a full-on psychopath or severely autistic.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, how much does it matter if a few specks of piss that you can't see or smell, and as far as you're concerned doesn't even exist, land on some of the surfaces near your toilet? You're not going to know. Also they say piss is sterile don't they? I mean, it's probably some bullshit myth, but on the other hand you're not spraying AIDS everywhere either.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 pm By the way, how much does it matter if a few specks of piss that you can't see or smell, and as far as you're concerned doesn't even exist, land on some of the surfaces near your toilet? You're not going to know. Also they say piss is sterile don't they? I mean, it's probably some bullshit myth, but on the other hand you're not spraying AIDS everywhere either.
I'm not sure if with had the debate but
Because urine is sterile you would think washing before you pee is more important than afterwards
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 pm By the way, how much does it matter if a few specks of piss that you can't see or smell, and as far as you're concerned doesn't even exist, land on some of the surfaces near your toilet? You're not going to know. Also they say piss is sterile don't they? I mean, it's probably some bullshit myth, but on the other hand you're not spraying AIDS everywhere either.
Yeah it's a good point. In the same way that flushing the toilet sprays minute specks of piss and God know's what else all over you and your bathroom, including toothbrushes. It's grim to think about but ultimately it's not keeping me up at night.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm By the way, to piss directly into the water you'd need to be a full-on psychopath or severely autistic.
I mean that's just ridiculous. It's the best place to aim and so satisfying. It's actually one of the best things about being a man.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm By the way, to piss directly into the water you'd need to be a full-on psychopath or severely autistic.
I mean that's just ridiculous. It's the best place to aim and so satisfying. It's actually one of the best things about being a man.
I remember once sitting in my lounge (with at least one person not of the household) and my dad went to the toilet directly above the room and he pissed directly into the water. I couldn't help but be a bit embarrassed.

I think you're a full-on psychopath. I didn't previously know that about you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am
Yeah it's a good point. In the same way that flushing the toilet sprays minute specks of piss and God know's what else all over you and your bathroom, including toothbrushes. It's grim to think about but ultimately it's not keeping me up at night.
I think you should probably put the lid down before you flush. I mean, I don't always do so but it's probably sensible.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pmI cannot imagine how this is possible unless you have a foreskinless one incher or a ridiculously thick toilet seat. I have certainly never done it and I don't consider myself especially skilled at pissing.
Would just like to update the record and say that I have now totally done this, several times. Things really fall off a cliff after you turn 30.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 am
Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pmI cannot imagine how this is possible unless you have a foreskinless one incher or a ridiculously thick toilet seat. I have certainly never done it and I don't consider myself especially skilled at pissing.
Would just like to update the record and say that I have now totally done this, several times. Things really fall off a cliff after you turn 30.
Is there a correlation between sitting down for a wee and our obsession with smart phones?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The WiFi reception in the toilets where I work is awful, no doubt in order to prevent surreptitious browsing while dropping the kids off at the pool.