I think my computer needs a change

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

I think my computer needs a change

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's been two years, and I have just realized that my computer needs a change.

It has a lot of RAM, but it's still running slow. Now, I think I know what the problem is.

I think my computer needs a new processor. It has a Celeron processor right now, but I think I should have a Core Duo 2 processor. I think if it had one of these, it would run faster. I bet it would improve the quality of graphics on my computer, and make downloads a lot faster as well.

There is a certain website that a lot of you who are avid UK game show fans go to. I have been told that for it to load the optimal way, I have to have a broadband connection. I do, but it still loads very slowly. I wonder if it's because I need this newer processor.

My mom also mentioned to me that her computer was running very slow, and now I'm considering letting her know that she should have a new processor.

So, my question to all of you is, which is cheaper, getting a new computer or getting a newer processor for my old computer?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: I think my computer needs a change

Post by Charlie Reams »

Buying a new computer also entails buying a new processor.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you.

It's too bad that we didn't realize this until now.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Your computer shouldn't get slower over time. Try looking under Control Panel for "Add or Remove Programs" and uninstall any programs you don't need. Also try running Spybot S&D to clean up anything that has installed itself without your knowledge. When you say it has a lot of memory, how much are we talking? Celerons are low-end processors and it's unusual for them to be coupled with a decent amount of memory.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You know, the person who advocated for me to get my computer works with Dell, which my computer is. He's not a bad person, but now I'm wondering where what he said came from.

My computer has 768MB of RAM.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

That's a reasonable amount. If you buy a new processor, you'll need someone to install it, but it's probably cheaper overall. Follow my advice above and see if that doesn't solve your problem.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok.

Maybe that will do the trick.

My mom has a cold right now, and we haven't had a chance to speak for pleasure, but I'm sure we will soon.

By the way, I think she caught mine from last week.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:There is a certain website that a lot of you who are avid UK game show fans go to. I have been told that for it to load the optimal way, I have to have a broadband connection. I do, but it still loads very slowly. I wonder if it's because I need this newer processor.
Are you referring to Bother's Bar? That loads slowly because it usually has at least two videos on the page embedded from Youtube. I tend to hit the Stop button pretty fast on that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, I am referring to http://www.wedigtv.com

If you take a look at this website, you will see why I like it so much.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:No, I am referring to http://www.wedigtv.com

If you take a look at this website, you will see why I like it so much.
Ah. That took a long time to load for me as well, and I'm not even going to try using it. But then, my computer is very, very old (in computer terms).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I do like the website, though.

If I had not been to that website, I would have assumed that Bob Holness was a weak, ailing man, but he's not and I was so happy to see that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, everyone!

I apologize for the bump, but I wanted to give you all some good news.

You all probably have noticed that I have not been online since a couple of nights ago. This was because I had been unable to get online. I told my apartment manager about this, she did what she could and I still couldn't get online after a while.

We have two different Internet connections, one wireless and one Ethernet. Surprisingly, our wireless connection had not worked very often, but just a few minutes ago lo and behold our wireless connection worked. However, it is the only one that works.

I have reported this problem to my manager because that connection is not secure.

Now, to the crux of my good news.

I am part of a program that provides assistive technology to people in my position. I could have backed out at the last minute, but I chose not to. As a result, I will get a new laptop with a higher-end processor that will be wi-fi ready. So, rest assured I will not miss an episode of Countdown in Series 61 because this computer will have lots of hard drive space.

All of this will happen in June, and then I will lock this thread.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have good news for all of you.

I apologize for bumping this thread again, but I am in the middle of quite a few transitions at the moment. That has prevented me from getting my new computer.

So, I'll cut to the chase.

It gives me great pleasure to say that by Wednesday, July 8, 2009, I will have my new computer.

I know you all can do math, so if you're doing it correctly you know that I will miss only two weeks (count 'em,) two weeks of Series 61. That is nothing, so I just wanted all of you not to worry.

As soon as I have a chance to use it and I post once more in this thread to tell you how it works, that's when I will lock this thread.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Good news Jason.
I`ll be looking out for your first posts with the new computer.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

And remember, Ralph, I won't miss Countdown!

Thank you for your kind words.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

It will be nice to start seeing your match reports on each game again.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Derek!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

So where are you then? And where's the new computer??
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Jason Larsen wrote:I do like the website, though.

If I had not been to that website, I would have assumed that Bob Holness was a weak, ailing man, but he's not and I was so happy to see that.
Marvellous stuff Jason, you've no idea how gifted a comedian you are at times.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ladies and gentlemen, the computer that I am now using is this one:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1

It took me forever to get the Internet set up, so I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner. I called Hewlett Packard and they tried to help me the best they could with the problem. However, the problem was not on their part, it was on my cable company's part. This is because they provide my Internet service. What they needed to do was send a signal to my computer for my Internet connection to work. Lo and behold, they did.

The first thing I did as soon as all the really important work was done was call our friend Kate Horton. Today is Sunday, so she's not in the office now, but she will be thrilled to hear that I will "not miss Countdown for a while" because of the size of my computer's hard drive. Unbeknownst to me, a torrent program was downloaded to my computer for me already!

The only thing that bothers me is that Windows Vista forces you to have an administrative account whether you want to or not. This means I cannot get into some of my more complicating directories. Other than that, it's a good system.

Case in point, I am thrilled!

In conclusion, in one of my prior posts to this thread, I talked about Bob Holness. Right now. I would like to quote him.

"That does it, and this time, that really does do it."