Spoilers For Monday March 11th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday March 11th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're into week 2 of Series 68, or rather a very curtailed 2nd week, as we only have one show to give you this week thanks to the Cheltenham Festival (although, if rumours are to be believed, there might be some heavy weather disruption, which could bring some of the recorded specials into the light, which would be joyous for us all. ;) :) :D )

But, for now, we'll stick to the knows that we know about. :idea:

Our returning champion is Sam McElhinney, who after scraping past our own Phil Jarvis on Thursday, had a relatively easy ride on Friday, getting past Juliette Bains, despite scoring no points in the final 3 rounds.................. :roll: Is that a sign of things to come, I wonder................. :?: :?

In DC this week (and next week for good measure) is the impressionist and comedian, Jon Culshaw.

And in honour of Mr. Culshaw, Jools Holland will give us the recap later. :P :lol:
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Re: Spoilers For Monday March 11th 2013

Post by Mark Ivey »

Another easy win for Sam in this game... not to take anything away from him, he put in a good performance regardless but the challenger, Ian Dobkin, just never seemed to get going. In the opening rounds, he couldn't declare anything for two rounds in a row while in the final letters rounds he neglected to mention he hadn't written his down, so when Sam declared his word and Ian had the same it was disallowed.

However Ian also didn't do himself any favours. Despite admitting that he wasn't very good at numbers, he went and chose six small (which Rachel even pointed out was a hard selection) for both his selections and in both he failed to come up with anything. I just can't fathom why he would pick 6S at all if he wasn't confident in his abilities, but especially in his final numbers game when he was nineteen behind and could still manage to come back and snatch it.

And that's pretty much it for a week. Still, the weather looks like it could turn and if it does and the racing is snowed out then we could be treated to some specials. Let's hope...
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Mark Ivey wrote:And that's pretty much it for a week. Still, the weather looks like it could turn and if it does and the racing is snowed out then we could be treated to some specials. Let's hope...
When Cheltenham (or part of it) has been cancelled due to the weather in the past, as far I can remember it has always been rescheduled. Wouldn't it be better to transmit some of next week's shows so that everything drops back into synch once Cheltenham has completely finished?

I know it's close to heresy on this forum, but personally I enjoy both Countdown and racing.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I got the conundrum fairly quickly thanks to remembering the scramble from Julian Fell's 146 game. Did anyone else?
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_3387

DETONATE as an alt to TALENTED in round 9 (don't think DC mentioned it).
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Jack Worsley wrote:I got the conundrum fairly quickly thanks to remembering the scramble from Julian Fell's 146 game. Did anyone else?
Andy Platt spotted it was the same scramble whilst sat in the Green room at the recording.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:I got the conundrum fairly quickly thanks to remembering the scramble from Julian Fell's 146 game. Did anyone else?
Yup, immediately. :)

Interesting also that that's the 3rd new contestant in a row from Leeds (admittedly, Sam is from Ireland, but he lives in Leeds). Doubt that's happened before.............. :roll: :geek: :ugeek:

LOUDENS in round 1 and TOMPION in round 11.

1st Numbers Alt.: (25 x 10) + 100 + 75 + 5 - 3 = 427
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

James Robinson wrote:1st Numbers Alt.: (25 x 10) + 100 + 75 + 5 - 3 = 427
That was the standard method that I expected Rachel to have used, but just watching it back (as C4's streaming
played up at that point live) I found she did it differently. Mind you I was disappointed again today as I didn't get the
answer in the time.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If Sam becomes an octochamp, the new 15-round format will begin in the episode after he finishes his run.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I didn't remember that it was the exact scramble, but I did remember that it WAS the conundrum from that game and had it immediately therefore.
Shame it didn't come up when I was on myself!
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Andy Platt wrote:

I didn't remember that it was the exact scramble, but I did remember that it WAS the conundrum from that game and had it immediately therefore.
When were you on, Andy? I can't believe I missed it!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Post by Mark Ivey »

Adam Gillard wrote:When were you on, Andy? I can't believe I missed it!
It's next Tuesday,
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:
Yup, immediately. :)

1st Numbers Alt.: (25 x 10) + 100 + 75 + 5 - 3 = 427
Ditto on both. Surprised the challenger didn't just write WARRENS down as well, since he didn't actually put his pen down or sit back or anything at the end of any round...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Andy Platt wrote:

No spoilers please! :lol:
cheers maus