Spoilers For Monday March 4th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday March 4th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, the 30th Birthday Championships have finally ended. :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

AND WHAT A WAY TO END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big congrats to Conor for winning the series and to Jack for being a more than worthy runner-up. :D :D :D

So, as Nick said at the end of Friday, "it's back to the mere mortals now".

And while, we probably won't see the same level of skill from the contestants for a while, it will be nice for most of us who watch the show to be able to compete properly this time. 8-)

So, it's the first day of the mainstream Series 68, and our returning champion, if you can't remember who won the show on December 11, is Apteforumite Rachael Moran who has 3 wins to her name so far, so will be hoping to become the first octochamp of 2013 at the end of the week. 8-)

In DC for his 2nd stint is the Springwatch presenter, Chris Packham.

Graeme will be around for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Monday March 4th 2013

Post by Adam Dexter »

Did I hear that right? Nick's idea of a perfect night in is with a glass of wine and a growler? :shock:
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Adam Dexter wrote:Did I hear that right? Nick's idea of a perfect night in is with a glass of wine and a growler? :shock:
Haha yes a little bit of that got edited out apparently - he did turn round at some point and really obviously go "I love a good growler" or something

R1 - SUPERNAL/PURSLANE as alternative 8s
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

A-lol. Surprised any of it got left in. The vulgarity in this show astounds me these days.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

hairdo for 6 in r6
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Brilliant 9 spot
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

^ This
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Adam Dexter wrote:A-lol. Surprised any of it got left in. The vulgarity in this show astounds me these days.
Did they have to refilm the BANKERS round after the declaration of the W- alternative?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Stewart Holden
Series 51 Champion

Post by Stewart Holden »

I feel I must complain that today's show was by no means the mundane affair we had been promised. Hoping to reclaim my weekday afternoons from today onwards, I tuned in to seek reassurance that these 'mortal' games were not worth 45 minutes of my time. Did the young lady perchance have a lingering Birthday Championship contestant hiding under the desk, or is this 110+ scoring now the new normal? I think we should be told.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Stewart Holden wrote:I feel I must complain that today's show was by no means the mundane affair we had been promised. Hoping to reclaim my weekday afternoons from today onwards, I tuned in to seek reassurance that these 'mortal' games were not worth 45 minutes of my time. Did the young lady perchance have a lingering Birthday Championship contestant hiding under the desk, or is this 110+ scoring now the new normal? I think we should be told.
Penelope, is that you?
cheers maus
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Tony Atkins wrote:Did they have to refilm the BANKERS round after the declaration of the W- alternative?
Ha, no they didn't, but you can tell that part of Rachael really really wanted to declare it. Should have just done it! Haha.
Stewart Holden wrote:I feel I must complain that today's show was by no means the mundane affair we had been promised. Hoping to reclaim my weekday afternoons from today onwards, I tuned in to seek reassurance that these 'mortal' games were not worth 45 minutes of my time. Did the young lady perchance have a lingering Birthday Championship contestant hiding under the desk, or is this 110+ scoring now the new normal? I think we should be told.
Interesting way of giving it - but that's a great compliment for Rachael and one that she has wholeheartedly earned.
I reckon she might well have beaten me with that performance had I been in the challenger's chair, due to the fact I missed the 9.
Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too, but I wouldn't have gone for MINUSCULE (interestingly, this gets more hits in google than what I'd have deemed the common spelling - would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that).

Fab game again Rachael.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Andy Platt wrote:(Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too, but I wouldn't have gone for MINUSCULE (weirdly this gets more hits in google than what I'd have deemed the common spelling - would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that).
Wasn't MINISCULE only recently added to the dictionary (before which it was one of those things pedants liked to get off on 'correcting' people for mis-spelling)?
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Very well played, Rachael, the nine was a superb spot! 117 is the highest score of the series so far. :D

LEADWORT in round 2.

Last numbers: (25x4+1)x9-50+6 = 865
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Michael Wallace wrote:Wasn't MINISCULE only recently added to the dictionary (before which it was one of those things pedants liked to get off on 'correcting' people for mis-spelling)?
Yeah, fair play, maybe as a writer, Rachael had more awareness to it - apparently (after a cheeky Google search) it's related to the Latin root MINUS, and not MINI, like a lot of people (including myself) have always (and 'falsely') assumed.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Andy Platt wrote:I reckon she might well have beaten me with that performance had I been in the challenger's chair, due to the fact I missed the 9.
Ditto.

An excellent game there Rachael. After seeing you clock up your 4th win with a fantastic score of 117 and a brilliant 9 letter word, I am now officially shitting myself in the Green room.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:Very well played, Rachael, the nine was a superb spot! 117 is the highest score of the series so far. :D
It's already beaten the highest score of Series 67 :!: :!:

But, that's a brilliant start to the series. Nicely done, Rachael. ;) :) :D

MANEGES/MENAGES in round 13.
Andy Platt wrote:Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too.
I was actually waiting for an A for CALUMNIES/MASCULINE. :P
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:(Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too, but I wouldn't have gone for MINUSCULE (weirdly this gets more hits in google than what I'd have deemed the common spelling - would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that).
Wasn't MINISCULE only recently added to the dictionary (before which it was one of those things pedants liked to get off on 'correcting' people for mis-spelling)?
I also surprised that MINUSCULE had more hits than MINISUCLE as I had always presumed that the latter was the correct spelling but now that I think about it, MINISCULE doesn't seem quite right. According to Wiktionary, MINISCULE is a US spelling. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/miniscule

Anyway, great spot Rachael and really well played with a fantastic score - I almost forgot that the 30th Anniversary series was over!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

James Robinson wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too.
I was actually waiting for an A for CALUMNIES/MASCULINE. :P
Heh, good call, missed that pick
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Andy Platt wrote:
Weirdly, I saw that MINISCULE could have come up with a final vowel pick, and indeed LUMINESCE too, but I wouldn't have gone for MINUSCULE (interestingly, this gets more hits in google than what I'd have deemed the common spelling - would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that).
Glad it's not just me! Have always thought it's mini, didn't realise the other is even allowable, let alone the preferred version. Would have been second best on the conundrum too. Made up for it with first and last numbers and a couple of letters rounds luckily.

Great to see Rachael back on again. Great score today, hope it lasts all week. When are you on Andy?

Presumably this series only goes to June so the finals are less likely to be stuffed with Octochamps than some in recent times.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Keith Bennett wrote:Great to see Rachael back on again. Great score today, hope it lasts all week. When are you on Andy?
Tuesday 19th March :geek:
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Great stuff, Rachel. Well done for MINUSCULE and for beating the highest score of Series 67!