B'day Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 26th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

B'day Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 26th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

Crikey, Blimey!!!! Back-to-back MAX GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are being truly spoilt in this mini series, aren't we :?: :?: :D :D

Surely, we're asking for too much for BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK MAX GAMES :!: :!: :!:

But, with our last 2 quarter-finalists in tow, anything could happen.................. :? :?

Especially, as they are the champions of Series 58 & 63, them being David O'Donnell and Jack Hurst. 8-)

Here are the stats:

Firstly, Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst - 14 Games, 14 Wins, 1,642 Points. (Average: 117.29)
Highest Score: 143 vs. Wayne Kelly (30BC Round 1)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Peter Godwin (Quarter-Final) & vs. Mark Deeks (30BC Prelim)
9's Achieved: 9/10
Total Points/Max/%: 1642/1768 (93%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 1129/1220 (93%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 402/408 (99%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 110/140 (79%)

Secondly, Series 58 Champion & CoC XIII Quarter-Finalist David O'Donnell - 15 Games, 14 Wins, 1,597 Points (Average: 106.47 - Not Including Tie-Break Conundrum)
Highest Score: 127* vs. Chris Davies (30BC Round 2) / 122 vs. Ian Browning (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 91 vs. Richard Priest (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 4/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1597/1867 (86%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 1102/1273 (87%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 405/444 (91%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/150 (60%)

Jack Worsley will return in the recappers' chair later. ;) :) :D
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: B'day Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 26th 20

Post by Zarte Siempre »

What's Nick chatting about?!?! 127 being the closest to 146?!
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

OOGAMIES R1
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

DAMMIT DoD, you were my sweepstake pick! xD
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

LMAO @ the manhug at the end.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Can't believe they cut the bit where Jack was all "David's a great player" and David was all "ahhhhh stop kissing my arse"!

Brilliant show guys.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Was that a handshake record? A record until, of course, Conor and I shake hands before every round on Thursday.
Ned Pendleton

Post by Ned Pendleton »

this bonhomie between the contestants is heartening, but getting out of hand :D three handshakes followed by a hug! where will it end?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Great game, well played both; very nice rapport between you. A couple of nice beaters from DC too.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent game, well played lads. :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Zarte Siempre wrote:What's Nick chatting about?!?! 127 being the closest to 146?!
:lol: I think the Kryptonite is affecting him.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Until yesterday and especially today, Jack – in my mind – was a MASSIVE favorite (however nievely that seems), however, I'm now convinced Conor probably can not be beat in this competition.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Really good game to watch again and a great mixture of comic relief and tension. Congrats Jack, you have a happy story to accompany your 'My First Crucial' photo in your scrapbook. Unlucky Doddy, you've been one of the best surprises in this tournament as you were the underdog against both Chris and Jack, and you've shown your best stuff after going behind, but that conundrum was very quick. Also, a shame the dialogue after the game was cut.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Watching this on 4oD, great game so far!

First numbers:

(25 + 6) * 8 * 3 + 10 / 5
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Ned Pendleton wrote:this bonhomie between the contestants is heartening, but getting out of hand :D three handshakes followed by a hug! where will it end?
Didn't you see the punch-up afterwards...... :shock: ;)

Seriously though, another cracking game and I was very pleased to be keeping up with Jack when I spotted ENORMITY in r2. Sadly it went downhill from there on for me! :oops:

I was very impressed with the 2nd numbers solve where you went via 5000 but I wondered why you felt the need to do it that way when 3x100+75+25+2 was available?
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Excellent game guys, well done.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great game by both played in a wonderful spirit. I loved the second numbers game as I don't think I'd have been brave enough to do that on TV, although I probably would on apterous. The hug at the end was a nice touch. Congrats Jack, a great conundrum solve under pressure and commiserations David who did really well to take it to a crucial having fallen behind early on.

MINATORY in round 2 and also AIRDROME in round 7(?)
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Haven't seen it back on TV yet, but I remember it was definitely another really enjoyable game, so fair play to both of you.
Grant Waters wrote:I was very impressed with the 2nd numbers solve where you went via 5000 but I wondered why you felt the need to do it that way when 3x100+75+25+2 was available?
:D
(100*50+25)*2*3/75 is there too if you want to be more impressive/take the piss even more.

The actual story - Rachel went to Jenny for the numbers because it was so easy, Jenny messed up and used something twice, Jack said to DoD during the filming retake "do it the complicated way and I'll just say yeah same way"
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Cheers for the comments lads but I thought that performance was shit and you're all sycophantic bastards.

I'm not bitter about losing but there were a number of factors leading to this loss WHERE I WAS CLEAR FAVOURITE TO WIN:

1. Apterous has spoiled Countdown (Craig Beevers and David Williams have explained this to me);
2. It was the second game of the day after a rest day so OBVIOUSLY the worst (I was so well-rested and also warmed up by the first game);
3. I can get 8/9 maxes and only lose about a quart of sweat in the process so I'm OBVIOUSLY supremely talented;
4. Jack Hurst told me his mother was into me and he'd clear the path if I rolled, needless to state, this never happened.

Also, the Countdown Team removed my "stop kissing me arse" comment. Where do they get the 'stugots (been doing a marathon Sopranos session recently) to make appropriate editorial decisions regarding decisions where they're supposed to edit appropriately?

All in all, a very disappointing episode where I'm not remotely disappointed (or bitter and small). I guess I can be a good loser (one of my many attributes in addition to modesty) but it's clear I actually WON!

Who do I want to win now? None of them and for at least 3 I'll get my wish. As long as I don't have to watch that fatheaded Irish idiot on the telly again.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Seriously, what are we gonna do with ourselves once this series is over :?: :?: :P :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Another fantastic game, guys. Very unlucky, David, although you can at least say that you were the first person on screen to take Jack to a crucial. :ugeek:

EMBOLUS in round 6.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

David O'Donnell wrote:Cheers for the comments lads but I thought that performance was shit and you're all sycophantic bastards.

I'm not bitter about losing but there were a number of factors leading to this loss WHERE I WAS CLEAR FAVOURITE TO WIN:

1. Apterous has spoiled Countdown (Craig Beevers and David Williams have explained this to me);
2. It was the second game of the day after a rest day so OBVIOUSLY the worst (I was so well-rested and also warmed up by the first game);
3. I can get 8/9 maxes and only lose about a quart of sweat in the process so I'm OBVIOUSLY supremely talented;
4. Jack Hurst told me his mother was into me and he'd clear the path if I rolled, needless to state, this never happened.

Also, the Countdown Team removed my "stop kissing me arse" comment. Where do they get the 'stugots (been doing a marathon Sopranos session recently) to make appropriate editorial decisions regarding decisions where they're supposed to edit appropriately?

All in all, a very disappointing episode where I'm not remotely disappointed (or bitter and small). I guess I can be a good loser (one of my many attributes in addition to modesty) but it's clear I actually WON!

Who do I want to win now? None of them and for at least 3 I'll get my wish. As long as I don't have to watch that fatheaded Irish idiot on the telly again.
I laughed SO hard...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Great episode...really enjoyed it and it was funny watching it again, especially the 2nd numbers. Good to see Jack shit himself a little.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Great game guys and played in a great spirit too. What you guys in the second numbers game I thought was hilarious.

Well done Jack, brilliant conundrum spot and I look forward to seeing your semi-final. Goes without saying Dave but I was gutted to see you lose and you did brilliantly to hold on after going behind early doors.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Also, did anyone else notice....after being so good at not saying "You be sure of it" all week last week, he said it 3 times today at the end of the programme to catch up!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Very exciting game to watch. Wasn't quite the maxathon we've been used to but still a very high standard. DoD played brilliantly all tournament, despite being slightly under the radar beforehand. I think Jack starts as favourite against Jonathan, although less so than Conor does in his game against Jono, despite Jono's max game the other day. Jono's game may have been his Reams moment.
Andy Platt wrote:The actual story - Rachel went to Jenny for the numbers because it was so easy, Jenny messed up and used something twice, Jack said to DoD during the filming retake "do it the complicated way and I'll just say yeah same way"
I noticed they were sort of chatting during the clock time and thought they'd decided to do it then. Presumably that bit wasn't reshot though.
Dave Preece wrote:Until yesterday and especially today, Jack – in my mind – was a MASSIVE favorite (however nievely that seems), however, I'm now convinced Conor probably can not be beat in this competition.
Yeah, I'd say that's a bit naive. Maybe purely on show stats, but this is now, and based on Conor's recent form including on Apterous, he would have been favourite to beat Jack at any point in this.

I still say though that Jack v Conor would be the best final for the neutral. Based just on show performance, we had Jack and Ed, and then on Apterous we had Conor and Innis, so a final with one of each pair would always been the ideal for me.

And as I said in yesterday's spoiler thread, I think if Jack won, he would have a slightly bigger caveat against his greatest-of-all-time claim than Conor, depsite his unbeaten record. Well, if he smashes his last two games (maybe maxing one or both of them), that could go away.

That all said, Jono and Jonathan could be lining up in the final on Friday.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Grant Waters wrote:clipped

I was very impressed with the 2nd numbers solve where you went via 5000 but I wondered why you felt the need to do it that way when 3x100+75+25+2 was available?
I showed my daughter Jessica this numbers game and asked her if she could solve it by "their" method. I was using the summary of the game on http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5651 as a guide. (100 × 50 + 75 ÷ 3) ÷ 25 × 2.

When I gave her a clue, using the above equation, it doesn't quite work as 100 × 50 + 75 ÷ 3 = 191.66666666 :o

Should it not be written ((100 × 50) + (75 ÷ 3)) ÷ 25 × 2 :?:

Mauro/Jessica
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

szodiac wrote:
Grant Waters wrote:clipped

I showed my daughter Jessica this numbers game and asked her if she could solve it by "their" method. I was using the summary of the game on http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5651 as a guide. (100 × 50 + 75 ÷ 3) ÷ 25 × 2.

When I gave her a clue, using the above equation, it doesn't quite work as 100 × 50 + 75 ÷ 3 = 191.66666666 :o

Should it not be written ((100 × 50) + (75 ÷ 3)) ÷ 25 × 2 :?:

Mauro/Jessica
It's fine as it is. It's how ordering of operations work. If you did it strictly in order as it's written, you'd get 1961.66666... anyway.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Andy Platt wrote:Haven't seen it back on TV yet, but I remember it was definitely another really enjoyable game, so fair play to both of you.
Grant Waters wrote:I was very impressed with the 2nd numbers solve where you went via 5000 but I wondered why you felt the need to do it that way when 3x100+75+25+2 was available?
:D
(100*50+25)*2*3/75 is there too if you want to be more impressive/take the piss even more.

The actual story - Rachel went to Jenny for the numbers because it was so easy, Jenny messed up and used something twice, Jack said to DoD during the filming retake "do it the complicated way and I'll just say yeah same way"
BRILLIANT!
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Bodmas!
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Also, did anyone else notice....after being so good at not saying "You be sure of it" all week last week, he said it 3 times today at the end of the programme to catch up!
"you be sure you dont miss it, you be sure of it"
Neil Bellers

Post by Neil Bellers »

Great contests again, everyone. I have really enjoyed watching this week’s events so far.
In my first-ever posting here, I referred to a ‘bonus biscuit’ prize (for myself, now and again) for using all six for any numbers challege, so well done to D O’D for one of the best up-and-down routes in a long time.
Also impressive as long as that was a real solo effort by JE, Miss Lightning, for a seven-letter to improve on the two fivers ? I have just read that her number skills are not so hot though, in addition to her frontdoor / backdoor sense of direction...
Hope to see Sir Ranulph Fiennes back safe and well in the Corner for the next series, maybe finally wearing his slippers in a well-deserved retirement after his astounding exploits.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Just before this game started, I was chatting to Jono on Facebook messenger while he was in the green room. Then he had the idea of sending me the selections as they happened so I could play along despite not being there. Thanks Jono! (The green room beat me, of course.)

Congratulations to both of you today. A great game played in a great spirit.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

WP GG.

Up to this point, I don't think I enjoyed any of my games more. It was also the most tense, but the high spirits diffused the situation nicely. I didn't expect to stay so calm for my first crucial, I think it's explained by the fact that I would have loved to see David in the semi too!

David is a great bloke. It was good to see him come to this competition as somebody most had written off and then to go and do some serious damage. Judging from his form on the show over his series and this tournament, he is one of the best. I don't give a fuck is he aint one of the very best on apterous. He is one of the very best here, which is what people should care about more.

In terms of the game play, it was a close match, my tendency to inexplicably pick 5 vowels all of the time continued, and it didn't really work. David could have beaten me on loads of conundrums so I was lucky it was one I had seen the day before on a laptop one of the runners had left out.

I think it's a real shame they couldn't include what me and David had to say at the end there. From watching back it looks as though the only form of human interaction I am capable of is nodding and answering questions with one syllable.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

That guy looked nothing like Jack! To be honest, if it wasn't for the countdown skillage, I'd say that wasn't Jack up there. Unless he had a complete makeover in one recording day.

Anyway, well played both, and unlucky DOD, the conundrum could have gone either way really. Good luck against Rawlo, Jack!
cheers maus
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Grant Waters wrote:Bodmas!
Granted that Jessica quoted Bodmas to me at the time... but she also added that if it was written that way in her exam papers, because of the lack of extra brackets, would likely to be given a fail mark because the examiner may think: "I know what you mean but not meant what you said."

Tricky, as myself, an absolute klutz at maths would just do the equation as written and not as it should be had I had mathematical savvy.

Mauro
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lee Kelly wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Also, did anyone else notice....after being so good at not saying "You be sure of it" all week last week, he said it 3 times today at the end of the programme to catch up!
"you be sure you dont miss it, you be sure of it"
Rewind a few seconds and there's another one just before that!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

JackHurst wrote: David could have beaten me on loads of conundrums so I was lucky it was one I had seen the day before on a laptop one of the runners had left out.

LOL?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

szodiac wrote:
Grant Waters wrote:Bodmas!
Granted that Jessica quoted Bodmas to me at the time... but she also added that if it was written that way in her exam papers, because of the lack of extra brackets, would likely to be given a fail mark because the examiner may think: "I know what you mean but not meant what you said."

Tricky, as myself, an absolute klutz at maths would just do the equation as written and not as it should be had I had mathematical savvy.

Mauro
The examiner wouldn't fail it. It's correct anyway and also likely to be what they meant unless there was a pretty massive coincidence.
Arthur Bennett

Post by Arthur Bennett »

On a catch-up mission here... :oops:

This game wasn't at all dissimilar to the one last Friday - the only major differences being that a perfect game wasn't achieved (and in fact went out the window immediately), and that the contestant named Jack won.

Belated congratulations, Mr Hurst (you don't mind if I call you that in this situation, do you? :? :mrgreen:), and equally belated commiserations David. And well done to both of you on that second numbers game. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;) ;)
"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them." - Sid Waddell 1940-2012
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: B'day Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 26th 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Disappointed with myself for not multiplying up to 1500 and getting 746 that way today considering it's what I'm supposed to do now! I do think it was quite gettable though, and both players probably should have resigned from the tournament on the spot.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

David O'Donnell wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm1. Apterous has spoiled Countdown (Craig Beevers and David Williams have explained this to me)
While I'm more than flattered to figure in such illustrious company, I have no recollection of where this came from.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: B'day Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 26th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

Quarter-Final 4 2020 Word Update

The max would have stayed the same if played today, for only the fourth time in this series. 8-) 8-) 8-)

New Words Now Allowed:

R2: MYRONATE, ROMANITE
R3: REHAULED
R6: GLUMOSE, SUBMOVE
R7: MANRIDER, RADIOMEN, REORDAIN
R8: REJOINTS, ROSETING
R9: REQUOTE
R13: PILOTI, PITTLE