B'day Championship Spoilers For Friday February 22nd 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: B'day Championship Spoilers For Friday February 22nd 201

Post by James Robinson »

Countdown Team wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:I doubt it after this one. It'll be a long time before there's another tournament like this, if ever.
Indeed, never to be repeated.
:( :( :cry: :cry:

That's put a big dampener on it :!:

Ah well, makes it more memorable that there's just the one, I guess. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Countdown Team wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:I doubt it after this one. It'll be a long time before there's another tournament like this, if ever.
Indeed, never to be repeated.
Of course, that's what everybody was saying after Series 33, too.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Never say never. If Countdown is still on in say 15 years, it could easily happen again.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Series 100: The Tournament of the CENTURY :!:
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Most are missing my point, when is the next 'normal' Champion of Champions?

'They' still had Champion of Champions either side-ish of Series 33...

Since the last Champion of Champions (XIII), surely CofCs XIV will happen at some point???
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Dave Preece wrote:Most are missing my point, when is the next 'normal' Champion of Champions?

Since the last Champion of Champions (XIII), surely CofCs XIV will happen at some point???
Well, he who works upstairs doesn't like the idea of CoC's any more, so he created this, basically so we could stop harassing him about it. (It just happened that the 30th anniversary happened to be at the same time too. :) )

But, it seems unlikely that they'll be a regular CoC again, unless we do some sort of begging spree or something of the like. :P
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:Most are missing my point, when is the next 'normal' Champion of Champions?

Well, he who works upstairs doesn't like the idea of CoC's any more, so he created this, basically so we could stop harassing him about it. (It just happened that the 30th anniversary happened to be at the same time too. :) )

But, it seems unlikely that they'll be a regular CoC again, unless we do some sort of begging spree or something of the like. :P
Given this recent development, would it be worth editing the CoC article on the wiki to put it in the past tense (i.e., "The Championship of Champions was a tournament held every 3-4 years on the show...")?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Quite!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

Given this recent development, would it be worth editing the CoC article on the wiki to put it in the past tense (i.e., "The Championship of Champions was a tournament held every 3-4 years on the show...")?
Not really. You never know what's happening in the future. But you could remove the 3-4 years bit, since it wasn't always 3-4 years anyway.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Not really. You never know what's happening in the future. But you could remove the 3-4 years bit, since it wasn't always 3-4 years anyway.
Isn't *
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Not really. You never know what's happening in the future. But you could remove the 3-4 years bit, since it wasn't always 3-4 years anyway.
Isn't *
Of course! Forgot myself there.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I've only got round to watching this just now. What an awesome game. As stupid as it seems to say it I'm actually quite emotional watching the ending as you see tears well up in Jono's eyes as he realises the enormity of his win. Great performance, great episode and well done Nick for not saying "You be sure of it" all week!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I've only got round to watching this just now. What an awesome game. As stupid as it seems to say it I'm actually quite emotional watching the ending as you see tears well up in Jono's eyes as he realises the enormity of his win. Great performance, great episode and well done Nick for not saying "You be sure of it" all week!
It's quite weird, because I "felt" that win more than any of the others this tournament so far.

Phil did a good job of stopping Nick from saying "You be sure of it" and it's a shame that the better DC guest got knocked out in the semis by Jenny Eclair though. Phil Hammond is one of the few I don't fast forward.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:. . . you see tears well up in Jono's eyes as he realises the enormity of his win.
Quite amusing for a pedant like me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm
Andy Platt wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: :D
Didn't notice this - great comment
No it isn't, they're both equally legitimate pronunciations, so fuck off the lot of you.
I like how other people were having a dig at your pronunciation beforehand but just being polite about it:
Jojo Apollo wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 pm
Ryan Taylor wrote: Even going into the conundrum I still didn't doubt that Jack would beat you to it so to hear you buzz I thought "he must have it wrong!". And then I thought you had as I thought "you need two H's for ECHOSPHERE!!" but of course that was my stupidity.
:lol: That was my exact thinking too with the two H's :oops:
I also like how both players did the massively complicated showboaty way of getting to 125 in the first numbers instead of just doing 100+25.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: B'day Championship Spoilers For Friday February 22nd 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've been watching these games with an eye on picking my favourite of the tournament as can be seen here. This game was certainly up there. Being a max game arguably helps, but is also arguably irrelevant because you wouldn't normally know it's a max game until afterwards.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I had OUTRAKES in R11 - I wonder when this became valid as clearly wasn't when broadcast. Is there any way to check words historically?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:27 pm I also like how both players did the massively complicated showboaty way of getting to 125 in the first numbers instead of just doing 100+25.
Not showboaty, just good practice.

Only a numpty makes 125 by 100 + 25. You're left with useless larges if you do so. Use 75 + 50, and you can make a 4 if needed
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Dexter wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:47 pm I had OUTRAKES in R11 - I wonder when this became valid as clearly wasn't when broadcast. Is there any way to check words historically?
I had that and OUTLEARNT in another round which was presumably not valid at the time.
Adam Dexter wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:27 pm I also like how both players did the massively complicated showboaty way of getting to 125 in the first numbers instead of just doing 100+25.
Not showboaty, just good practice.

Only a numpty makes 125 by 100 + 25. You're left with useless larges if you do so. Use 75 + 50, and you can make a 4 if needed
I know that really - it wasn't a serious comment - but in any case it's a simple enough method that you can do it either way.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

An additional advantage of doing 75 + 50 is that you get to watch Rachel awkwardly convert the "1" that she's prematurely written on the whiteboard into a "7"
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Quarter-Final 2 2020 Word Update

The max would have increased by TWELVE (from 122 to 134), if played today, as there were 8's available in Rounds 3 & 11, as well as a 9 in Round 2, that weren't available in 2013.

That also would've meant that Jon's MAX GAME would've gone very quickly...

New Words Now Allowed:

R2: OUTLEARNT (increases MAX from 8 to 18!!)
R3: POETIZER, POETRIZE, TROPEINE (increases MAX from 7 to 8)
R4: OPALISE
R7: PEROSIS, POISERS, POWISES, PROSSIE
R11: OUTRAKES (increases MAX from 7 to 8)
R12: TRAINEAU
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I've just caught this on the Tuesday morning repeat, and I'd forgotten how much Phil Hammond's anecdotes were party political broadcasts.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...