Birthday Championship Spoilers For Friday February 1st 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Birthday Championship Spoilers For Friday February 1st 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, after the amazement of yesterday's match, this one between another 2 series champions has a lot to live up to.

Our competitors today are John Ashmore, the champion of Series 38, who I happened to meet 10 years ago at the recording of my special game, because he was doing his special earlier that day, but unfortunately his show was never broadcast.

The other one is a bit of a legend in our circles, and after just missing out on the COLIN title last weekend, he can now focus on winning this title instead. He is of course, Kirk Bevins. 8-)

Here are the "champion" stats:

Firstly, Series 38 Champion & CoC X Quarter-Finalist John Ashmore - 9 Games, 7 Wins, 513 Points (Average: 57, Not Including Tiebreak Conundrum (All 9 Rounders Except One 14 Rounder))
Highest Score: 91 vs. Steve Fisher (Grand Final - 14 Rounder) & 61/71* vs. Gerry Pearce (Quarter-Final - 9 Rounder)
Lowest Score: 37 vs. Terry Knowles (CoC Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 1/3
Total Points/Max/%: 513/716 (72%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 353/425 (83%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 120/191 (63%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/100 (40%)

Secondly, Series 60 Champion Kirk Bevins - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,321 Points (Average: 110.08 - Not Including Game In Series 51)
Highest Score: 130 vs. Peter Bennett (4th Game)
Lowest Score: 81 vs. Chris Davies (Special Game)
9's Achieved: 5/9
Total Points/Max/%: 1321/1511 (87%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 919/1031 (89%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 322/360 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 80/120 (67%)

Join Heather for the recap later. ;) :) :D
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: Birthday Championship Spoilers For Friday February 1st 2

Post by Jack Worsley »

James Robinson wrote:

Firstly, Series 38 Champion & CoC X Quarter-Finalist John Ashmore - 9 Games, 7 Wins, 513 Points (Average: 57, Not Including Tiebreak Conundrum (All 9 Rounders Except One 14 Rounder))
Highest Score: 91 vs. Steve Fisher (Grand Final - 14 Rounder) & 61/71* vs. Gerry Pearce (Quarter-Final - 9 Rounder)
Lowest Score: 71 vs. Edward McCullagh (CoC Quarter-Final)

Secondly, Series 60 Champion Kirk Bevins - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,321 Points (Average: 110.08 - Not Including Game In Series 51)
Highest Score: 110 vs. Catherine Green (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 75 vs. Mark Murphy (Quarter-Final)

Some of their stats are fairly similar to Graeme's and mine. :shock: :roll:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

Lowest Score: 71 vs. Edward McCullagh (CoC Quarter-Final)

Highest Score: 110 vs. Catherine Green (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 75 vs. Mark Murphy (Quarter-Final)

Some of their stats are fairly similar to Graeme's and mine. :shock: :roll:
Ooooooooooooops, fixed now. :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Can't believe Kirk didn't go with his nickname! (R2?, BEVATRON)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:Can't believe Kirk didn't go with his nickname! (R2?, BEVATRON)
Ditto! An opportunity missed. Double max game so far? (Round 3 btw Adam for the pedantic among us).
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

When Nick cracked the joke about Kirk, darts and splitting trousers - "best place for a hole" .... I heard a tremendous guffaw from the audience and instantly recognised Sandie Simonis !!

John and Kirk couldn't be more closer so far...

MP
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Alt 2nd numbers: (25+10)x(9+6+6)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Er. Was that a max game? I made that a max game.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Incredible stuff there from Kirk! Max game? Very strong performance from John too, he was unlucky to lose by that margin.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

MAX GAME!!! Fucking genius. Even if Kirk doesn't win this full thing and goes on to lose to Innis in the next game, I still consider Kirk as the Ultimate Countdowner right now.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Yeah, max game. Amazing.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Just when I think I've seen the best this series has to offer, I keep on getting more stuff. Very very well done to Kirk. And many commiserations to John, he was at a very high standard as well, but as we see, Kirk at his best is at an insane standard. I can't even imagine what his game is going to be like against Innis.

EDIT: So that was a max game. I thought it might have been but wasn't sure. Unfreakingbelievable.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Sheer brilliance from Kirk the maximum man. 8-) Well done to John also, good to see him back.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Btw, I also thought it was a very fine performance by Nick Hewer (the joke at the start, his input on the ALEATORY teaser about "alea iacta est", his input for saying GLYCINE was French for wisteria, spotting SECRETION (then joking about it), and the pressure he put on Kirk right before the conundrum). Nick at his very best.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Yeah - he did OK, I guess.

;)
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

How many maxes did John get? Will this game rival the joint maxes record from yesterday?

David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

John played very well but Kirk overshadowed him completely, one gripe is that seeing there was only one max game in the 15 rounder history before this game, todays game should have at least got a mention but it wasn't
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:How many maxes did John get? Will this game rival the joint maxes record from yesterday?
John got 10. Had he stuck with a 6 in Round 11 (VOMITORS^ round) then we'd have 26/29 again. But ONLY 25/29 today. Poor show.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

David Barnard wrote:John played very well but Kirk overshadowed him completely, one gripe is that seeing there was only one max game in the 15 rounder history before this game, todays game should have at least got a mention but it wasn't
I heard Nick did mention it at the time but that must've been cut.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Can't see any cracks in Kirk's ability, well done Kirk. Unlucky John to come up against a very seasoned Countdown player. r11: VOMITORS* proved to be a nail in John's coffin when the max was only 6. Kirk v Innis ought to be another cracker.

MP
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Dan McColm wrote:
David Barnard wrote:John played very well but Kirk overshadowed him completely, one gripe is that seeing there was only one max game in the 15 rounder history before this game, todays game should have at least got a mention but it wasn't
I heard Nick did mention it at the time but that must've been cut.
That's a shame, I think a max game isn't deserving of being cut, oh well
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Phenomenal from Kirk! CULTIGEN and ALAMEDA were brilliant spots, particularly the latter which I'd never heard of. The conundrum time was also very impressive considering the pressure of knowing you were probably on for a max game. If I felt good when you said Graeme and I would have "beaten" you yesterday, I was brought back down to earth today. Best performance of the series so far without doubt! John was also very impressive and could have gone further if the draw had been kinder to him.

Nick did mention that it was a max game at the time but this sadly didn't make the cut. He also said that he doubted whether it had ever been done before. :lol: :oops: :shock:
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

It's just getting better and better and better, and we haven't even reached the "winner vs. winner" stage of the competition yet. Absolutely superb by Kirk and pretty damned good by John to keep plugging away against the onslaught.

And I don't know what's going on with the hosts at the moment, but I've never seen the current trio of regulars look like they're having as much fun as they do right now. It's just a joy to watch.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Can't believe Kirk didn't go with his nickname! (R2?, BEVATRON)
Ditto! An opportunity missed. Double max game so far? (Round 3 btw Adam for the pedantic among us).
Or the alternative (sadly invalid) nickname of BEVINATOR :lol:
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I remember Damian saying that it's hard to introduce the concept of a max game on-screen without alienating the general audience, which is probably why the mention of it was cut. Understandable really, pretty much all of us who care about such things were going to find out for ourselves on here or on apterous anyway.

But more importantly, congrats Kirk on an excellent performance. I'd say this was even better than your first max game.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

How did they know it was a max game if they don't use computers? . . . would certainly be a question asked by some people. (That they miss the occasional thing themselves is a pretty good answer, of course.)

The standard the last couple of days has been so high I suspect we're in for a few hidings, with the apterites seeing off the scrabblers, and a lot of crucial conundrums as the apterites go head to head.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

Great game Kirk

I think that was better than your first max game ALAMEDA and CULTIGEN were quality spots.

Were there any contestants in the green room with a solver checking the maxes round by round?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Great show and freaking amazing performance by Kirk. Fully understand why the max game can't be mentioned on-screen though, everyone who understands/cares will know though!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

David Williams wrote:How did they know it was a max game if they don't use computers? . . . would certainly be a question asked by some people. (That they miss the occasional thing themselves is a pretty good answer, of course.)
AFAIK computers are used for 'checking' rather than spotting words. I seem to remember Kirk applauding Susie for continuing to search through the dictionary after he'd had HEDARIM disallowed despite it not showing up on the computer. I don't think the concept of a max game is too alienating - 'Kirk couldn't have scored any better in any round today'.

ALAMEDA was particularly inspired today. Did you think you were on for a max game at the time? Very quick conundrum spot too. John can certainly feel proud of his performance.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So in the 15 round era, I make that Kirk Bevins 2, rest of the world 0.

Regarding the max game thing, I had no idea it was even considered a "thing" on the show anyway, so I was surprised when it first came up in the thread as a gripe, but if it did come up anyway, I agree with Conor that anyone would get the concept.

I think over the years, quite a few things have come up regarding whether the "casual viewer" would understand stuff. Stuff like "Ooh, I don't think you could have a knockout tournament with 16 or more people because they'd get confused as to why there's different players every day for ages and then suddenly the same people would keep cropping up." Really? No.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Finding ALAMEDA and BICONCAVE (in a second) was awe-inspiring. I think people can invest too much hyperbole in what is effectively a parlour game but if this doesn't lead to world peace then nothing will.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk's..... Kirk's coming.... ;)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

CRIKEY BLIMEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping for one, if not two things to happen in this awesome tournament.

I was hoping for someone to beat the 146 record, which in fairness, has been impossible so far.

The other was for another max game to happen. Kudos to you, Mr. Bevins. Whatever happens in this tournament, you have definitely guaranteed your place in Countdown legend.

I was happy just to keep up with you after 7 rounds, but getting those words such as CULTIGEN and ALAMEDA is just another level to us mere mortals. :P :P

All I'll say is, I bet Innis is now shaking in his boots for your game in the next round :!: :lol:

No point in saying any other words. Although, if yesterday's game hadn't cemented this series into legend, today's certainly has :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Incredible! Absolutely awesome stuff Kirk. I'd safely say that's the best Countdown performance I've seen on the screen. ALAMEDA and CULTIGEN were excellent and so too was BICONCAVE. Superb!

Also thought John was unlucky to lose, he played very well.

Ditto Ryan re Nick, thought he was really entertaining today!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

John could easily have gone further had he not come up against Kirk in the first round. The only words that beat him were BUSLOAD, CULTIGEN and ALAMEDA, the latter two of which hardly anyone had heard of, even among the championship contestants. And if it weren't for those John might not have risked the disallowed 8.

Huge congratulations on the max, Kirk.
Conor wrote:I don't think the concept of a max game is too alienating - 'Kirk couldn't have scored any better in any round today'.
This isn't very far removed from what Nick did say. As I recall, there was a pause after Nick gave his post-game commiserations and congratulations to the players, and then he said "Kirk, that is exceptional, 130 is a perfect score - you couldn't have scored any higher" or words like that. Then he said something about how this was the equivalent of a 180 in darts. Personally I think a nine-letter word is the nearest Countdown equivalent of a 180, and a max game is like a nine-dart leg.

After all these tinfoil-hat theories as to why it was cut out, it's probably going to be just that they didn't have enough time to fit it in. But while we're speculating, my theory is that they want to avoid someone from the Daily Wail phoning them up saying "so you *do* use a solver, then?", and then having to explain the difference between the denied practice of using a solver during the game to find words for DC, and using a solver after the game to satisfy a curiosity.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I didn't mean that the audience would struggle with the concept of a max game, I meant I thought it would alienate Penelope even further - it's one thing to think these guys are hard to beat for an average viewer, quite another to know that they are literally unbeatable on every round. I don't find it hard to imagine there's plenty of grandmas out there still insisting that their clever grandson gets several nines every day and always beats the contestants. Total guesswork, mind.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

sexual healing. is there a wiki page that i'm about to search for that lists highest joint scores and stuff
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:sexual healing. is there a wiki page that i'm about to search for that lists highest joint scores and stuff
I don't think there is one for highest joint score, but that is 241 with Mr Tournoff as one of the competitors: http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_4121

I can give you a Wiki page of every score above 125: http://wiki.apterous.org/List_of_15-rou ... s_over_125
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Max game stuff was edited purely for time purposes.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Just coming out of hibernation to say "Absolutely top drawer Kirky."

A max performance, it was just a shame that the numbers rounds presented 30 points on a plate.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Chris Corby wrote:Just coming out of hibernation to say "Absolutely top drawer Kirky."
Me too. Phenomenal!

Just came when someone mentioned it's Kirk v Innis in the next round.
This tournament is just awesome.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

John Gillies wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:Just coming out of hibernation to say "Absolutely top drawer Kirky."
Me too. Phenomenal!

Just came when someone mentioned it's Kirk v Innis in the next round.
This tournament is just awesome.
Yeah, it's on my 25th birthday too. WHAT A BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Corby wrote: A max performance, it was just a shame that the numbers rounds presented 30 points on a plate.
It's not really a shame that it was 30 points on a plate...I was kinda aware I could have been on for a max after round 13 and was praying for an easy numbers game! Also, that 2nd numbers game, I didn't purposefully do it a convoluted method - I just couldn't see an easier one until I saw John sit back and relax but by that time I'd already got my method and was making sure I'd written it down rather than stop and try to look for the easier one!

Many thanks for everyone's nice words - I've not heard Penelope's yet though so there's always going to be two sides to that coin! People were asking, in the VOMITORS^ round, when I said "I'll stick with 6 then" what I wanted to risk. It was VIGOROS^ which I'm sure was a mass noun chemical. I was half right, it's a mass noun game and I was right to leave it be although when he said VOMITORS^ I was convinced it was going to be in. Dodged a bullet there! John played magnificently and I felt like I had to max the game to just have a chance of winning. I noticed in the green room he wasn't missing much standard stuff (although he was asking about some scrabble words like SUNBEAR) so I was hoping for a game with some fruity words or some scrabble phonies - luckily I got the former.

I'm pleased to have got another max game and be the only player to have one (or two). I was wrong as I predicted there would be no max games in this tournament but I know James desperately wanted to see one so I hope I've fulfilled your needs! :P ;) 8-) :D :ugeek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm pleased to have got another max game and be the only player to have one (or two). I was wrong as I predicted there would be no max games in this tournament but I know James desperately wanted to see one so I hope I've fulfilled your needs! :P ;) 8-) :D :ugeek:
Indeed you did Kirky. ;)

And now your next assignment (should you choose to accept it) is for you and Innis to give me a DOUBLE MAX game as my 25th birthday present. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

A max performance, it was just a shame that the numbers rounds presented 30 points on a plate.
I thought 735 was a bit awkward actually.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Super play Kirk. Good to have confirmed what was thought at the time.

All the best for the Innis game and darts on Thursday too.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

The 735 numbers round was very awkward, I agree with Gevin.

Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Adam Gillard wrote:The 735 numbers round was very awkward, I agree with Gevin.
As 735=3x5x7x7 (seen in seconds), looking for 35x21 was obvious, so solution found well in time :D

Perhaps I'm unusual in being able to see factors of CECIL's selection immediately - on the other hand, as I usually try to make words as the letters come out, I often get stuck on a 6 or 7, failing to see how the last ones can be used. (I need to practice stemming more before trying to compete :? )
Paul Keane

Post by Paul Keane »

Kirk

Congratulations on a brilliant performance- it was a privilege to be in the audience to witness it. It was good as well that the comments from Rachel (who looked stunning) at the end of the show, about never forgetting her first, didn't get edited out (as seemed likely when the final sequence had to be reshot). Looking forward to seeing your match with Innes, which promises to be a cracker.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Just going back to the max game stuff, when Nick was saying goodbye to Susie and Mark, couldn't Susie have said something like: "We couldn't beat Kirk in any round today. Brilliant performance."?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Are we still calling this a max game even though Kirk declared MARQUES as MARQUEES?

(The subtitles actually said "(PRONOUNCES WRONGLY) MARQUES" :) )
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:Are we still calling this a max game even though Kirk declared MARQUES as MARQUEES?

(The subtitles actually said "(PRONOUNCES WRONGLY) MARQUES" :) )
Haha that's amazing. I actually meant to pronounce it like "mar-kays" but even that's wrong! That's the problem with not actually knowing what words mean and only seeing them on apterous.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

You don't play within the spirit of the game.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Well done Kirk, just watching my recording and it was great to see you record another max. Some really fine spots to keep it going as well.

Im really enjoying the tournament too, clearly played in a tremendous spirit and already a few unbelievable games. Looking forward to the rest.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

nice seeing kirk in the flesh last nite!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Birthday Championship Spoilers For Friday February 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I beat Kirk with UNMASSED playing along today. Max game indeed.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

First Round Game 11 2020 Word Update

The max would have increased by three (from 130 to 133), if played today, as there was an 8 available in round 4, and 7's available in Rounds 9 and 11 that weren't available in 2013.

That also would've meant that Kirk's MAX GAME would've potentially ended before the first break... :P :P :P

New Words Now Allowed:

R3: ORNATIVE, ORVIETAN, REOBTAIN
R4: MEDUSANS, UNMASSED (increases the MAX from 7 to 8)
R6: DOUGLAS, GOBFULS
R9: PLAEFER (increases the MAX from 6 to 7)
R11: MOORITS (increases the MAX from 6 to 7)
R12: NECROTISE, NOCERITES
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'd like to think Kirk would have seen those :-P
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Six nines available in round 12 now - ERECTIONS, NECROTISE, NEOTERICS, NOCERITES, RESECTION and SECRETION. Are there any selections with more than that?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Lee Kelly wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm nice seeing kirk in the flesh last nite!!
Isn't he always in the flesh?