Spoilers For Thursday June 28th 2012

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday June 28th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

So, we have now reached the 2nd semi-final, and maybe like the football last night, this might go the distance........... 8-)

This battle between #2 and #3 is definitely hard to call based on the stats, but on the plus side, that should mean we're in for a cracker today. ;) :) :D

The matchup of the #2 Seed, Jack "The Blackpool Bazooka" Worsley, and the #3 Seed, Peter "The Dublin Dynamo" Lee is definitely lining up to be one of the most intriguing semis of recent times. Will it live up to the hype, I wonder........... :?:

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.2 Seed Jack Worsley - 9 Wins, 893 Points (Average: 99.22)
Highest Score: 110 vs. Catherine Green (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 75 vs. Mark Murphy (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 2/7
Total Points/Max/%: 893/1143 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 599/786 (76%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 254/267 (95%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/90 (44%)

Secondly, No.3 Seed Peter Lee - 9 Wins, 881 Points (Average: 97.89)
Highest Score: 120 vs. Kieran Bray (5th Game)
Lowest Score: 78 vs. Niall Seymour (4th Game)
9's Achieved: 4/5
Total Points/Max/%: 881/1124 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 622/767 (81%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 189/267 (71%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/90 (67%)

Join me for the recap later. ;) :) :D 8-)
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Thursday June 28th 2012

Post by Jordan F »

I expected it to be this close. In my head before the finals I actually predicted Peter would pull off the mild upset, but in the end, Jack was impressive, well done particularly with figuring out those six small games, a new trick came in handy. Strong effort from Peter as well particularly with that good conundrum and glad your second stint was a lot longer than your first.

Looking forward to the finals tomorrow, should be a high standard game.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great game, lads, well played. 8-)

Well done to Jack for making the final and well done to Peter in making the semis, and being a great sport throughout. :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Congratulations Jack, your numbers games have been consistently excellent and this showed. A worthy finalist.
Unlucky to Peter, it's always great to see an Irishman make the finals (continuing a trend of recent series) and you too were very impressive, I really enjoyed seeing your shows.

Looking forward to the final!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Peter's numbers were terrible today.

I still can't stand Nick Hewer - thinking he knows more about the rules than Susie does.

Epic failure - conundrum revealed and I shouted "MISSIONARY!"
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Epic failure - conundrum revealed and I shouted "MISSIONARY!"
Almost as bad as me guessing MAYONNAISE. :P :oops:

Very well played, both of you, a very good semi-final. The final tomorrow sounds like it'll be a spectacle to behold. ;) :) :D

AGLEAM in round 8 and SOLITON in round 9.

3rd Numbers Alt.: ((7 + 4 + 2) x 5 x 6) - 2 = 388
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations on making the final, Jack. For most of the series I expected this match would be the final, and it was a very evenly matched game. Well done on coming back to win after going behind early on. I wasn't expecting you to pick two six small rounds - I expected you to stick with four large - but those two numbers games are what swung it.

And Peter, ignore Rhys. You've been a strong and consistent player throughout. Before today's game I wouldn't have been able to say who was the more likely winner - whoever had won today would have fully deserved their place in the final.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I must apologise - those letters were fantastic though and I would never have got that conundrum.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Thank you all! This was an incredibly tough game as Peter's a great player. He pushed me all the way and could easily have won, and I would have had no complaints if he had. I was very fortunate to have two choices of numbers as without that advantage, I probably wouldn't have won.

I'm sure it surprised a lot of people when I didtched four large in favour of six small. It was a gamble as I'm prone to blanking the odd six small. I just find that with 4L, it's straight forward far too often, as I'm continually frustrated by easy ones on apterous. I also thought it would take my opponents by surprise. I can only apologise to Peter if he did any 4L practise in preparation for this game.

Finally, I have to say that Peter was a great sport, like all of my opponents. I hope we'll still see him around on apterous and on here because he's a top player and person.
Paul Keane

Post by Paul Keane »

Well done Jack and Peter for a fantastic, high quality game. It was really nip and tuck right up until the end, but that was a fantastic spot in the final numbers game to clinch it. Hope the final is just as exciting. Best wishes. Paul
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great semi-final and great play by both players. But as Jack says, who gets what numbers choice can make a difference. Having said that, if both players had two picks, the result would probably have been the same anyway.