Spoilers for Thursday May 3rd 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 78)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday May 3rd 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 78)

Post by Jordan F »

Nick Hall is on quite the roll, 5 wins under his belt and unless he performs very weakly today, should have at least the number 4 seed in his hands win or lose today. Can he further improve his standings with the sixth win?

James will recap us later.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Thursday May 3rd 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 78)

Post by Tony Atkins »

To mark the first anniversary of my first show (first Thursday in May 2011) I managed to score 118 with a 13 max game,
including beating DC on R11 with TAUTENED. Missed CAMISOLE and was too slow on the conundrum. First numbers alt:
((100-10)x6)-9=531.

Other alts according to the computer: OUTSAILS in R1, MIZENS etc in R2, FREEING etc in R3, DELATION and DENTINAL in R4.
CHARROS (Mexican cowboys) and OCHREAS (rings on plant stems) in R6, BRAKING/KARTING/TABUING in R8,
TAMPED, TEAPOY and YOMPED in R9, PEPINO and PERRON etc in R12, HEMIOLAS and CHAMELIS (Jasmins) in R13.

James will be including these in his recap when he eventually gets back from the finals (assuming he went like most everyone else).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

BTW Nick Hall has now moved up to 4th place and will overtake Victoria James win or lose tomorrow, those at the finals
will know where he finally ended up already.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Tony Atkins wrote:Other alts according to the computer: OUTSAILS in R1, MIZENS etc in R2, FREEING etc in R3, DELATION and DENTINAL in R4.
CHARROS (Mexican cowboys) and OCHREAS (rings on plant stems) in R6, BRAKING/KARTING/TABUING in R8,
TAMPED, TEAPOY and YOMPED in R9, PEPINO and PERRON etc in R12, HEMIOLAS and CHAMELIS (Jasmins) in R13.
Point of order - isn't the recap section the place for computer generated solutions? Just that on the rare occasion I happen to see one, there is a small pleasure in seeing if anyone else got it here first. (Which they usually have.)
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I saw CAMISOLE just as the clock had finished. But then I remembered that I think it can be spelt CHAMISOLE as well.

Though it isn't on OneLook or in C20C. I assume it isn't in the ODE either otherwise DC would've mentioned it. But it has about 107000 hits on Google.

Does this alternative spelling actually exist, or is it just a way it's sometimes misspelt by confusion with other words?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:James will be including these in his recap when he eventually gets back from the finals (assuming he went like most everyone else).
I'd love to say I was there, but I had to make do with staying in gloomy Mirfield for today. :P
Tony Atkins wrote:TABUING in R8
No TABUING according to the solver.
Stewart Gordon wrote:I saw CAMISOLE just as the clock had finished. But then I remembered that I think it can be spelt CHAMISOLE as well.
Again, no alternate spelling, although if a B had come out, we'd have had CHOLIAMBS/SHAMBOLIC, which would've been nice. :)

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((75 + 6) x 7) + 4 = 571
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Brian Moore wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:Other alts according to the computer: OUTSAILS in R1, MIZENS etc in R2, FREEING etc in R3, DELATION and DENTINAL in R4.
Point of order - isn't the recap section the place for computer generated solutions? Just that on the rare occasion I happen to see one, there is a small pleasure in seeing if anyone else got it here first. (Which they usually have.)
I've got to agree with Brian here, what's the point of this topic otherwise, leave the solvers alone :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum