Spoilers for Wednesday February 29th 2012 (Series 66 Game 38

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday February 29th 2012 (Series 66 Game 38

Post by Jordan F »

Doing this early because I'm heading out pretty early in the morning my time, so won't be able to post.

This is a big one people. Our own Peter Lee is on the verge of becoming an octochamp, needing just one more win. Can he get it today? If he loses, he remains at the current number 2 seed. If he wins, he'll need a score of at least 123 to get sole possession of the number one seed, which is certainly possible. John Parrott...very well may be the first decent dictionary corner guest we've had in the last three weeks, and I couldn't be more ecstatic as a result.

Join James for the recap later.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday February 29th 2011 (Series 66 Gam

Post by Phil Collinge »

R3 LORICAS
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done, Peter, on becoming an Octochamp. A splendid run. :)
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Well done, Peter, on becoming an Octochamp. A splendid run. :)
Seconded! I know who I'll be rooting for in the finals.

ANODYNE for an alternative 7 in R1
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Yes, very well done Peter. Must have been such a relief to finish with such a comfortable one after yesterdays scare.

A couple more alternatives :
R4 PAGRI
R11 GUNNERA / GAUNTER
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Nice one Peter, 804 is a decent total and I have thoroughly enjoyed your octochamp run as 7 of the players have been very good
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I echo the congratulations re your Octochamp status. You've played excellently throughout the 8 games.

Good luck for the finals. Does anyone know when they are being recorded?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Excellent work Peter and congrats! Definitely a very tough run to come through but you definitely held your own.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Congratulations Peter on becoming an octochamp, very well deserved. I would say that five of your opponents would be capable of going on to become octochamps themselves if they had avoided you so winning eight is an even more impressive achievement. Not only have you had some big scores but you've also kept your composure when you've needed it to win some really difficult games, particularly against Niall and in yesterday's game. It must have been a great relief to finish off by steamrollering your opponent after yesterday's close one.

When I went to the recording I knew that there was the possibility of seeing an apterite or two but I had no idea it would be Peter. It was a pleasure to meet him after the game. See you at the finals, Peter.

I believe James's score of 15 is the third lowest ever in the 15 round format and the lowest ever by a male contestant. To be fair to him though, he was up against a really good champion and the letters selections were awful today. He seemed to take the thrashing really well too.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Congrats once again Peter, you definitely had a much harder-than-usual run of opponents and it must have taken a great deal of composure to hang on until the end. Nice that you had a relatively relaxing game to end on.

I liked the Jack cameo at the end too, adds a bit of a friendly-rivarly atmosphere to the whole thing.
peter lee
Rookie

Post by peter lee »

Once again thanks to all for the kind sentiments expressed. Did a lot better than I could ever expected and have to put it down to getting a good few hammerings from the lads and lasses on Apterous. Is really nice to be part of This forum and good luck to all who will be on in future especially Philip.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Well done Peter! Know I know why you beat me on apterous, though I did win a couple of shows and got the last numbers today. If anyone want a chance of playing Jack Worsley but not in the finals then come to CO:REA on Easter Saturday!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Just wanna add my voice to all those congratulating Peter. It was a really good run with a lot of exciting and close games, runs like that are the best octochamp runs rather than those where the super-player mows down all in their path.

Congrats again.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

John Garcia wrote:ANODYNE for an alternative 7 in R1
Or even ANODYNES for a 8........... :oops:
David Barnard wrote:Nice one Peter, 804 is a decent total and I have thoroughly enjoyed your octochamp run as 7 of the players have been very good
696 + 105 = 801 last time I looked.......... :oops:

Very well done, Peter. Enjoyed your shows throughout, came across as a great guy and very nice to see you get your 2nd chance. Also cool to see Jack in the audience too. :D

PIRAGUA (well happy to get that from that lot) in round 4 and GAUNTER in round 12.

2nd Numbers Alt.: (75 x 7) + 8 + 5 = 538
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Congratulations Peter, very well played. Think you've had one of the toughest sets of opponents of any recent Octochamp, although Jack's final one was rather tougher than yours. I'm guessing your letters total would be higher than Jack's over the 8 games.

But in return for all these kind words when you get back to the day job please do us a favour and resolve to stop sending us any more of your effing rain....
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations on eight wins Peter, and well done on getting an average of over 100. You faced some tough opposition along the way too. Best of luck in the finals.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

James Robinson wrote: Or even ANODYNES for a 8........... :oops:
Doh! :roll:
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

Nice one Peter, really pleased you made the full eight.

Also like some others have said, fair play to James who took the defeat in great humour.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Congratulations on your Octochampdom, Peter! (I'm a little behind on my Countdown watching)

I know I've spoken out against returning contestants before, but my objections are mainly about inconsistency of channel4 decisions rather than individual cases. If everyone knew that they could apply and get on again, or if nobody could, I think it'd be fairer than being subject to the whim of a producer or other c4 bod.

Not as exciting a game as your previous one, Peter, but a relief for you, I expect.
Lots of worthy opponents beaten on the way, so a much deserved place in the finals. Good luck. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli