Spoilers For Tuesday January 17th 2012

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday January 17th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're only at show 7 of 2012, and already we have the possibility of our first octochamp of the series being crowned. 8-)

And let's put it this way, if Jack Worsley doesn't become one today, I'll personally hold a steward's enquiry on the matter.

He might have lost his 100% record on the numbers yesterday, but Jack's letters and numbers skill is pretty much second to none this series, and can he also become only the 7th player in the show's history to score a century in all 8 of his preliminaries :?: 8-)

Liam is indisposed today, so I'll be filling in for today's recap, meaning we'll have a triple bill of Robinson Recap goodness this week. Oh joy. ;) :) :D
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday January 17th 2012

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

ROOIKAT r13
cheers maus
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Congrats Jack on becoming an octochamp, very good set of games there. :)
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Congratulations Jack -fantasic set of results and a very deserved octochamp. When I was in the audience watching your first game I thought then that you were a potential star. Ive really enjoyed watching your progress since then and in the words of our new host "Well Done Champ"
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Congrats Jack, a great run and unlucky not to get the 8th century, but Jack had some good spots.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Well done Jack - very impressive run. No doubt you'll be practising a bit before the finals....

Commiserations to Alan though. There will be people who win a few games in the next 6 months whom he'd very likely beat. Very unlucky to have to play Jack.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very well done, Jack. Shame you didn't get the 8th ton, but 237 out of 240 (as good as 99%) in the numbers games is nothing short of phenomenal. :shock: :o

Surely a champion in the making. ;) :) :D

STILTED in round 7.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Very well played Jack, I'd say you definitely had a higher-than-normal standard of challengers to deal with, which makes your consistent high scoring all the more impressive.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations Jack. Well deserved octochampdom.

Alan didn't do too badly either - POTENCE and LAXATIVE were good spots. In another week he could have strung together a few wins.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Well played throughout the 8 games Jack, and unlucky to miss the 8th century which would have been an excellent effort. Unfortunate actually to get a very capable (although inconsistent) opponent who took a few points off you here and there.
Statsmonkey wrote:237 out of 240 (as good as 99%) in the numbers games
Holy cow. Anyone ever got 240 before? Hard luck with the 777 then Jack, particularly as you solved quite a few that were much more difficult - sometimes it's those ones that get away.

MANIPLE there in 11 as an anagram of impanel, although impanel doesn't make me giggle like a 10 year old.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Thank you all for your support. It would have been nice to get the eight century but I wasn't too disappointed about not getting it. Winning each game was enough to keep me happy, especially as I faced some worthy opponents along the way and it has certainly been a memorable experience.

Going to get in some practise before the finals and hopefully I'll have improved a bit by then.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Great job Jack. I've really enjoyed watching your shows.
See you at the finals!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Congratulations, Jack! :D
Epic set of wins, and good luck in the finals.

I'd stopped watching Countdown regularly in early 2010, but you and Nick have got me hooked again!

Nick is settling in nicely IMHO. Witty and drole, and I know it's been said before, but he appears genuinely interested in the contestants and guests, and not simply glibly reeling off facts and anecdotes from an autocue.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Very well done, Jack. You were very consistent throughout your octorun, and a 'demon' on numbers and conundrums too at times, all of which stands you in good stead for the finals.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."