Spoilers for Thursday 25 September

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Thursday 25 September

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Game 1 : MBNIEUTRO

Two chemical elements here: BROMINE and TERBIUM.

Number game 1: Alternative

9 7 4 8 6 3 - target 251

9 x 4 x 7 = 252; 6 + 3 - 8 = 1; 252 - 1 = 251
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 25 September

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

DSRAAEONT - the contestants and panellists missed out RODENTS.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Good day for me today I think, missed TRIGONAL but got everything else (DC beaters notwithstanding.) Was impressed with Junaid finding PEAHEN, that's the sort of thing you can usually count on as a winner when you're playing at home. Looks likely now that he's heading for the finals and should comfortably be #2 seed by the end of the week.
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

R13: IMBUES

Not a maximum but the only 6 I see. MUMMIES is an interesting one, with 3 M's out of the 4 in the whole consonant stack not exactly a common word.

Junaid is certainly giving me some good games from home. A lot of fun.

DC
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I thought that, Charlie. I needed something like PEAHEN to pull away as I didn't risk FRIENDED nor PAROLING (stupidly I thought it might be a double L). With the scores at 75-75 after Round 10 and we both got PEAHEN and a 5, it's 86-86 with 3 rounds to go. Luckily for me I got MUMMIES and then beat him to the crucial conundrum so won 113-96. His best game by far - yesterday's was a higher score but he missed more I think.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I narrowly beat Junaid today, for which I have Mr.Reams to thank as he taught me WAZOOS (or rather the singular form) in our COOT game :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rich Priest wrote:I narrowly beat Junaid today, for which I have Mr.Reams to thank as he taught me WAZOOS (or rather the singular form) in our COOT game :D
I learnt it from Martin Gardner (about 3 years ago in a Scrabble context) when he alerted me to the pleasing triplet RAZOO/WAZOO/KAZOO. All three are valid in Countdown.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Junaid's sharpened up loads since his first two games hasn't he? He's really cut down on the disallowed words, and on this form will be really hard to beat for any opponent. I saw FRIENDED today but never seriously considered going for it, oh well...

Kirk and Rich, don't make posts like that when Charlie's on TV in a few weeks, otherwise he'll get annoyed with you
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian Fell wrote:Junaid's sharpened up loads since his first two games hasn't he? He's really cut down on the disallowed words, and on this form will be really hard to beat for any opponent. I saw FRIENDED today but never seriously considered going for it, oh well...

Kirk and Rich, don't make posts like that when Charlie's on TV in a few weeks, otherwise he'll get annoyed with you
Yeah, I know it's the age old thing about posting your scores on a forum like this and will the contestant get offended - after all, they're under pressure etc. I enjoy competing with people but I can be tactful (!) and so I may not post my efforts when Charlie's on - unless I get my 15/15 maxes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Yeah, I know it's the age old thing about posting your scores on a forum like this and will the contestant get offended - after all, they're under pressure etc. I enjoy competing with people but I can be tactful (!) and so I may not post my efforts when Charlie's on - unless I get my 15/15 maxes.
For the record, I don't mind. A little tact is good (recognise that I'm not playing against you even though you're playing against me) but if I play crap and you beat me then hey-ho.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Yeah, I know it's the age old thing about posting your scores on a forum like this and will the contestant get offended - after all, they're under pressure etc. I enjoy competing with people but I can be tactful (!) and so I may not post my efforts when Charlie's on - unless I get my 15/15 maxes.
For the record, I don't mind. A little tact is good (recognise that I'm not playing against you even though you're playing against me) but if I play crap and you beat me then hey-ho.
That's the spirit!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:Two chemical elements here: BROMINE and TERBIUM.
:)

Also I got PAROLING but didn't risk FRIENDED. Was this another word spelt completely backwards as it came out in the selection?