Spoilers For 8 Out Of 10 Cats Do Countdown

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For 8 Out Of 10 Cats Do Countdown

Post by James Robinson »

Mark James wrote:Not sure if I'll get a chance to see it. I don't have sky plus and Channel 4 has disappeared from my VCR channels. Is someone gonna do a spoiler thread?
Your wish is my command. ;) :) :D (Just got back from Nottingham, hence the lateness.)

So, as part of the 30th anniversary of Channel 4, there are some mash-ups going on today.

And our beloved show is being "mashed-up" with 8 Out Of 10 Cats in a 35-minute show, so expect a 9-rounder in the offing.

Jimmy Carr will be the host and the contestants are the 8/10 captains, Sean Lock & Jon Richardson.

Rachel & Susie will be in their normal places, and comedian Joe Wilkinson will be the DC guest.

As no-one else has offered, I'll sort the recap later. (First come, first serve. ;) )
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For 8 Out Of 10 Cats Do Countdown

Post by James Robinson »

So Round 1 is the letters we've seen in the adverts, so I think we all know what the best word is. :geek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Looks like it's a 7-rounder then.

SLOGGER and GARGLES in round 2.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Quite like the Apprentice style Nick Hewer advert just before Part 2. :lol:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

EPIGRAM in round 4, and where's Chris Davies when you need him :?: (Reference to Jimmy's Rubik's obviously.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

That was really enjoyable actually.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I really really enjoyed that. Seems John is actually pretty good.

Rachel is also on Celebrity Mastermind on Wednesday.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Yeah, it was very enjoyable, shame it was only a 7-rounder, but hey-ho.

MAXED IT THOUGH!!!!!!! :D

How the heck did Susie miss WHEREUPON, when it was right at the bottom of the page she was looking at :!: :shock: :o
Danny Pledger

Post by Danny Pledger »

I can't be the only person who spotted the continuity error at the end of the show, although I may well be the only person who cared the slightest bit about it!

Jon buzzed for the conundrum and got it, but when they went to the full shot neither contestant's light was on, then when Jimmy presented the teapot and they went to the end credits Sean's light was on.

Which of course doesn't matter at all whatsoever. But I noticed it.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Danny Pledger wrote:I can't be the only person who spotted the continuity error at the end of the show, although I may well be the only person who cared the slightest bit about it!

Jon buzzed for the conundrum and got it, but when they went to the full shot neither contestant's light was on, then when Jimmy presented the teapot and they went to the end credits Sean's light was on.

Interesting, I certainly didn't notice that. Did anyone here see it getting filmed? If so, what happened?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think AGAROSE was in the round of GARAGES.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:How the heck did Susie miss WHEREUPON, when it was right at the bottom of the page she was looking at :!: :shock: :o
It's weird, it's almost as if she doesn't check every single word on every page she looks at for words longer than the one she's looking up, and then cross-check them against the available letters :?:
Danny Pledger wrote:Jon buzzed for the conundrum and got it, but when they went to the full shot neither contestant's light was on, then when Jimmy presented the teapot and they went to the end credits Sean's light was on.

I didn't notice the first part, but aye I did notice that Sean's light was on later. I just assumed there was some subsequent pissing around with the buzzers that was edited.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:Quite like the Apprentice style Nick Hewer advert just before Part 2. :lol:
Yeah, a much needed advert in an apt time-slot.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Innis Carson wrote:
Interesting, I certainly didn't notice that. Did anyone here see it getting filmed? If so, what happened?
I didn't but my daughter did. Unfortunately the dopey girl claimed not to remember very much at all. She just about recalled there'd been a 9-letter word, but not which round or what it was, until I came out with WHEREUPON and was advised to "hold that thought".

I did see the recording where Nick did the cut-ins for the adverts and he had to re-do them as he kept saying the wrong time. It may be that Channel 4 weren't sure if the time was going to be the same so they were covering themselves, but I don't think so - more that he's just not used to listening to the Producer in his ear-piece and talking at the same time.

That problem showed up in the shows a couple of times too. It looks easy but I guess it's like trying to solve a hard large 4 numbers game against the clock whilst simultaneously reassuring your wife (or husband or partner or parent) that you really are taking in every word they are saying.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Keith Bennett wrote:I guess it's like trying to solve a hard large 4 numbers game against the clock whilst simultaneously reassuring your wife (or husband or partner or parent) that you really are taking in every word they are saying.
Yes, I am listening to you. I'll watch the 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown show later at 937.5, I mean 9.05, I mean whenever they finish cooking in the other show that's running well over.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I always thought Jimmy Carr would made a good host and suggested him to friends when they looked for a replacement for Richard. Very funny show - I liked the way they only had women sitting next to Rachel....
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024