Spoilers For The Stelling Swansong (Series 65 Grand Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: Spoilers For The Stelling Swansong (Series 65 Grand Fina

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matt Morrison wrote:ADZUKI
Actually, both ADZUKI and ADUKI are valid. It was the only valid five in that round.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:ADZUKI
Actually, both ADZUKI and ADUKI are valid. It was the only valid five in that round.
Oh yeah, my memory failed me. I knew 2 of the 3 variations were in, I thought it was ADUKI out and AZUKI in but it's the other way round.
I remembered it correctly as being silly though - AZUKI (which is not valid) is the commonly accepted proper name, not ADUKI, which is valid. Pretty ridiculous!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azuki_bean
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Carl Williams wrote:I knew I couldn’t beat him on ability as such, so I knew I had to outplay him.
What does that even mean? I had changed my opinion of him but he's just ruined it now.
Where did you find this? It's not in this thread anyway.
I found it here:
Jojo Apollo wrote:
There's an article on Carl here:

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Former ... 122011.htm
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well done Graeme on an excellent win. After Carl drew level, I was thinking that had you seen OMEGA in time, you would have been spared all the tension. But also congratulations to Carl, because despite what people may think of him, he played well to get to the final and put in a very strong performance to take it to a sudden death conundrum.

Carl did remind me a bit of Graham Nash in the CofC - someone who I didn't want to win and wasn't really expected to, but he beat all the favourites to win, despite only one really good performance. Carl obviously didn't quite manage the winning part.

By the way, for the first numbers I did 9 times 50, minus the quotient of 75 and 5 (that's for you Graeme), minus 7, minus 4.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

David Williams wrote:What are these Champions League tickets that Rachel wants Jeff to get for her, BTW?
Just heard on Sky Sports News that Man U could be reinstated to the Champions League. Maybe there's similar hope for Deeks yet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Great performances from Carl and Graeme there. It was such a wonderful piece of theatre to see live. Graeme's final conundrum buzz and "GALVANISE" were running through my head for much of the journey home. Just brilliant. I'm so happy for you, Graeme!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Well done Graeme, well deserved after Mark's shock defeat and i'm very pleased you won as I can see it means a lot.

I've replayed the final conundrum a few times and it sounds like "GALVANISED" is declared but then Jeff confirms it as "GALVANISE" and it is revealed as correct. Under the pressure, it was easy to see it as a "we know what you mean" moment but if it had been revealed as incorrect then Carl would have fluked a victory.

It would be right on apterous anyway ;)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Never got round to writing anything in here about it, not really had the time but I did watch rounds 14, 15 and 15b again, sweet man. Cheers again for a great performance Graeme, it was a pleasure to be a part of it if only from the audience.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Chris Marshall wrote:Well done Graeme, well deserved after Mark's shock defeat and i'm very pleased you won as I can see it means a lot.

I've replayed the final conundrum a few times and it sounds like "GALVANISED" is declared but then Jeff confirms it as "GALVANISE" and it is revealed as correct. Under the pressure, it was easy to see it as a "we know what you mean" moment but if it had been revealed as incorrect then Carl would have fluked a victory.

Thanks Chris, and thanks for all the other comments too. Never noticed that it sounds like I put a D on the end. (For the record, I definitely didn't.)
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Chris Marshall wrote:Well done Graeme, well deserved after Mark's shock defeat and i'm very pleased you won as I can see it means a lot.

Thanks Chris, and thanks for all the other comments too. Never noticed that it sounds like I put a D on the end. (For the record, I definitely didn't.)
Totally believe you! Might have been a breath as breathing did appear difficult at the time!
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Congrats, Graeme. Couldn't catch it live so I had to wait for the recap to see what happened, a shame because it looked to be a very good contest.

A bit miffed that ^badugi (An obscure poker variant) is no good in round 7.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Steve Balog wrote:Congrats, Graeme. Couldn't catch it live so I had to wait for the recap to see what happened, a shame because it looked to be a very good contest.

A bit miffed that ^badugi (An obscure poker variant) is no good in round 7.
There's a repeat on Monday (tomorrow), 5:25 - 6:10 am on CH4 which you can tape.

Actually, as you're American, that time will be around 21:25 - 22:10.
cheers maus
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Took me a while to get through all the finals, because I had an exam that week, but just want to say congrats to Graeme. A deserved winner who looked more nervous than he played. The last numbers game was outstanding under such pressure. It's a shame we couldn't get the dream Deeks-Cole final, but Carl really stepped it up a notch in the finals.