Spoilers For Wednesday December 14th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Wednesday December 14th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, the quarter-finals have brought up the usual result of the top 4 seeds qualifying.

Entertainment galore is still ahead, I'm sure

Graeme and Paul will duel tomorrow, so today we have the "Battle of the Beefcakes", as I have named it (I was originally thinking of "Beefcake v Cheesecake", but I'd probably be beaten up by both, if I called either of them by the 2nd option............... :roll: ).

As you are probably aware, it's the #1 Seed Mark "The Braughing Bullet" Deeks v the #4 Seed Carl "The Burton Bruiser" Williams, with a place in Friday's final up for grabs. 8-)

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.1 Seed Mark Deeks - 9 Wins, 940 Points
Highest Score: 126 vs. Lesley Lewis (8th Game)
Lowest Score: 86 vs. Taymar Pitman (4th Game)
9's Achieved: 2/6
Total Points/Max/%: 940/1124 (84%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 628/767 (82%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 252/267 (94%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/90 (67%)

Secondly, No.4 Seed Carl Williams - 9 Wins, 806 Points
Highest Score: 116 vs. Beth Tafat (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 62 vs. Campbell Ure (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 2/7
Total Points/Max/%: 806/1140 (70%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 573/783 (73%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 203/267 (76%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 30/90 (33%)

Join me, if I've survived the onslaught for the recap later. :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday December 14th 2011

Post by Jon Corby »

Carl "The Cheating Asshole" Williams.

I'm SOOOOO looking forward to this.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

"I don't really like Carols" - I remember enjoying that at the time. Well slipped in, Rachel.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

PASTORED was another 8 they could have had in round 8 (carl had ADOPTERS and DC had READOPTS).
Last edited by John Garcia on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

UPSIZES r 11
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Has anyone really been considering Carl winning the series?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

:o :shock: What a big shock, I was sure Mark would win that one. Anyway well done in getting to the semis, Mark.

Let's see if Graeme can get through to the final tomorrow, or is another shock on the cards.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Jon Corby wrote:Carl "The Cheating Asshole" Williams.

Way to go tempting fate!
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

Was about to congratulate Carl on his victory but then read yesterday's spoilers thread and had second thoughts! Still an impressive performance though.

Also goes to show, as any former contestant will tell you ad nauseam, how much harder it is when you're in the chair. No way Mark misses those words under normal circumstances (or were there some beers the night before maybe?)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark doesn't drink, sadly. Not even that evening after this, impressive willpower.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Mark, HUGE respect for being so gracious and humorous about this, and still going through the motions of advertising your appearances on Facebook etc. It can't have been easy, especially knowing how much it mattered to you. Please don't view this as a failure. You've been amazing.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Innis Carson wrote:Mark, HUGE respect for being so gracious and humorous about this, and still going through the motions of advertising your appearances on Facebook etc. It can't have been easy, especially knowing how much it mattered to you. Don't view this as a failure. You've been amazing.
And as I told Mark at the time, he's equalled your run to the semi-finals on the show and he's got a better PB than you on apterous for 15 Rounder, which means he's better than you overall really. I have to echo your sentiments Innis, watching it back today it struck me just how composed and gracious Mark was at the end of the show.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Innis Carson wrote:Mark, HUGE respect for being so gracious and humorous about this, and still going through the motions of advertising your appearances on Facebook etc. It can't have been easy, especially knowing how much it mattered to you. Please don't view this as a failure. You've been amazing.
This.

Pretty much everyone there wanted you to win like you deserved to, especially me.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hard luck fella. Innis says it all there. Very disappointed that Jeff's last show won't have you in it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Since I haven't watched any of this series apart from the finals, what happened?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :cry:

Graeme (or Paul, depending on who wins on Thursday) MUST stop that c*nt. Unlucky Mark, and go Graeme!
cheers maus
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Martin Gardner wrote:

Since I haven't watched any of this series apart from the finals, what happened?
He said 'different method' on the numbers, and then copied his opponent.

More importantly, he came from 9 behind on a crucial. 29.75 seconds.

"Err... um... THWARTING?"

Ars*crack.
cheers maus
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Well I for one am fucking delighted.

YES!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Thomas Carey wrote:He said 'different method' on the numbers, and then copied his opponent.
It wasn't even quite that - he clearly had floundered and had nothing to declare at the end of the 30 seconds when asked. His opponent then declared a nice round number (which was still some way from the target) - 900 - so he then thought "hey, that should be easy to get to" and blatantly nicked the declaration, and then winged it. As proven by the fact that his method was left with a number to add on to get closer.

And yeah, the RASPILLING as well.

And he just seems like a complete arsehole.

I'm so fucking angry with you right now Deeks. Particularly as (unless there's more DC beaters beyond UPSIZES) I think I maxed it from my armchair, so I was seeing everything and then sinking when you declared. When he got 10+ ahead I was thinking "okay, this could be even better actually, if he thinks he's gonna win and then Deeks snatches it from him", and then when you got that 247 I thought here we go. But fuck. Fuck. FUCK.

Graeme, you have to beat that twat. PLEASE.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:Graeme, you have to beat that twat. PLEASE.
He still has to beat Paul tomorrow first though....................., although I'm sure he'll do that, yet I think most thought that today's outcome would be a bit different.

Speaking of Carl, anyone notice his smile when he was introduced at the start,............ just had something about it. :?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Thomas Carey wrote: He said 'different method' on the numbers, and then copied his opponent.

Ars*crack.
Can you link to that episode on here? It will save you all repeating yourselves.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote: He said 'different method' on the numbers, and then copied his opponent.

Ars*crack.
Can you link to that episode on here? It will save you all repeating yourselves.
This should do it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

John Garcia wrote:

Way to go tempting fate!
Yeah, it's not the first time I've done that either. I really should learn. Still, let's hope Graeme (if he gets through his semi-final) holds it together a bit better and takes him down.

Yeah, Graeme v Carl final. I'm SOOOOOOOO looking forward to that.

Oh, oopsy.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I'm real sorry Mark, I know how much it must have meant to you and everyone can see on Apterous just how brilliant you have got. It's the perfect example of how the show is different to playing online.

You've definitely been one of the most memorable contestants within the last lock of years, it's really been great to watch you.

He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Carl, he has also improved a great amount since his run.

Still, go Graeme! :)
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Quoted.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Quoted.
:oops: *Carl! Screw you! :evil:

You all knew what I meant ;)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Not really sure where to begin with this. Don't know what to say really other than I was properly gutted.

Even when Mark took Carl to the crucial I still had every belief and hope he'd do it, and Mark deserved much more than a tame semi-final exit with the effort and determination he had put into winning the series (or at least making the final). Carl had improved massively since his heats and yeah, deserves credit, but there was no sense of humility or grace about him, and the feedback from the rest of you highlights this. I'd heard that in the build-up, he and his girlfriend had gone out of their way to wind Mark up. I mean, there's cheeky mind games, but then there's being a pair of absolute --. Draw the line.

Also, I know with the sort of person Mark is, he never wanted to use it as an excuse, but he hadn't slept the night before, and there was some difference between his QF performance and SF performance that left us all in the audience with some sense of injustice, because we know hand on heart he thoroughly deserved to get by Carl. I'm still gutted about this and honestly couldn't bring myself to watch it back on TV.
Last edited by Andy Platt on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

I definitely agree with Andy's thoughts. I mean, if Carl and his girlfriend were winding Mark up deliberately the night before, then maybe there was some threatening going on... (Carl does have big arms) or I'm just running away with myself too much. And with the 5 second gap when SLOPPED was declared, Carl didn't even look down at his notes. And the crucial con was left lateish again... So sure Mark should have done a sub 1 second buzz, considering his Ascension practice a few nights before the show was recorded. It's all very suspicious and weird to me.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Hereby joining the rapidly growing chorus. I don't know you, Mark, as I haven't been on Apterous for about a year, but I remember watching your games in the summer, which were great…and let's just say there was no day I was hoping you would win more than today.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Quoted.
:oops: *Carl! Screw you! :evil:

You all knew what I meant ;)
Somehow I initially interpreted that as "Carl may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark". Which makes less sense, of course, but the context from today's thread and yesterday's (and the corresponding games) made it well nigh impossible to construe the sentence in the literal way.
Andy Platt wrote:I'd heard that in the build-up, he and his girlfriend had gone out of their way to wind Mark up.
What?! This just gets worse and worse. Part of me wants details to fuel my righteous anger; part of me doesn't even want to know.
Last edited by Miriam Nussbaum on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:I'd heard that in the build-up, he and his girlfriend had gone out of their way to wind Mark up.
What?! This just gets worse and worse. Part of me wants details to fuel my righteous anger; part of me doesn't even want to know.
I wasn't there for the first two QFs, so I don't know if there was any gamesmanship then. All I know from my own observation was that Carl's girlfriend was pretty rude in the Green Room, almost exclusively towards Mark. Carl doesn't seem like the kind of person I would befriend, but he wasn't particularly rude to anyone in the time I was with him (which was quite a lot considering I'd snuck into the Green Room with Nikki's help). He was cocky and smug at times, but not outright mean to anyone. This is just from personal experience, what I've heard first- and second-hand from others about Carl and un-Countdown-esque behaviour is frankly sickening. Purely from my own interaction with Carl, he was no worse than smug, and I'd like to echo Eoin in saying that he has played well thus far in the finals. I remember defending him as a decent player against the popular opinion when he had his octorun, but that might just be because the games I saw were his best ones.

Then again, the other 7 finalists were all an absolute delight to talk to, so I suppose that did make Carl seem a bit out of place. I was especially pleased when Dave and Paul (who I hadn't yet seen on the telly) recognised me from the last series and I had nice chats with them.

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Never saw this coming at all, I thought Mark would murder him, even with Carl having an extra ten seconds each round. Mark looked like he had other things on his mind as he missed a lot of stuff that he'd normally get with ease.

I really hope that these rumours about Carl and his girlfriend trying to wind Mark up aren't true. It's very sad to think that people would go to extreme measures just to influence a game of Countdown when only a few dictionaries are at stake. If there's any truth in this, I advise Mark to speak up. I don't think anyone can blame him as this is clearly unacceptable behaviour.

Carl is clearly a decent player but he's nothing special. He showed flashes of brilliance during his octochamp run but most of his opponents were no better than average and even then he didn't always win comfortably. He's played well during the finals so far but I certainly hope that either Paul or Graeme go on to win as they're both better players and play the game in the right manner.
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Cheers everybody. I'm not going to disparage Carl. He deserved to win because he did the things I didn't do. He spotted everything obvious and slept well the night before. That, it seems, was enough. He improved a lot since his heats, perhaps more so than any of us.

I was pretty gutted to lose, as would anybody who played this much in a four month span. But the positives of the experience are plain to see. I hope I made for decent television and thanks to all those who have said nice things, both in this thread, at the time, and anywhere else. I appreciate it. Really.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:"I don't really like Carols" - I remember enjoying that at the time. Well slipped in, Rachel.
She actually said "I'm not a big fan of Carol's" which works even better.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Giles wrote:And with the 5 second gap when SLOPPED was declared, Carl didn't even look down at his notes.
Here for the record is Carl "not looking at his notes" at the moment in question:

When you don't like a player it's all too easy to assume every hesitation to be evidence of foul play, even to the extent of supporting your prejudice with non-existent evidence as Giles has done. There are so many available 7s from that selection that it's entirely plausible Carl had several written down and was simply dithering over which one to read out (and remember, he'd declared his 7 first). I don't particularly like the guy either but it seems he's become the target of something of a witch hunt.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I don't particularly like [Carl] either but it seems he's become the target of something of a witch hunt.
He's been the target of a game I've been playing called "Which Cunt?".
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I don't particularly like the guy either but it seems he's become the target of something of a witch hunt.
I think you've got a point there. My experience with Carl was much the same as Adam's - he was perfectly polite and civil to me, even though other stories I've heard don't match that. I wouldn't agree that Carl's girlfriend was being rude to Mark. All I remember is her expressing incredulity when it was mentioned that Mark doesn't drink.

Without a doubt I wanted Mark to win, everyone who was there knows that. And like Andy I always thought he would win, right until the end. Regardless of anything that happened in previous games, Carl has clearly put effort in to improve, and he won this game fair and square. Whatever your opinions of Carl, setting him up as a hate figure and hurling insults behind his back goes against the gentlemanly "Countdownly" behaviour which we're working hard to defend.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

[quote="Phil Reynolds

When you don't like a player it's all too easy to assume every hesitation to be evidence of foul play....[/quote]

Yes, that is true. Once you've got a reputation it's hard to lose it. I thought the gonads moment against Jayne was a bit dodgy, but I couldn't see anything in this game that was questionable. He won fair and square. I'm convinced a more relaxed Mark would have spotted BRONCHIAL quite quickly. I don't think Carl has actually improved all that much - he came up with some good spots in his first run - but he did seem to be more consistent against Mark than he has been before.

Credit to you Mark for taking it on the chin so well. Very sorry you don't get a shot at the top prize. Well played all series.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah, Mark was pretty much as hesitant with declarations in this game as Carl was, so I haven't gone into any detail over those...

But that THWARTING conundrum in his second game and the numbers game in his third was enough for me to go off him, and until something comes along to change my mind, this hater's gonna hate.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

I could tell Mark wasn't himself and that something was definitely amiss. The lack of sleep totally makes sense. This wasn't the same guy I'd seen in earlier shows. The fact that Mark doesn't drink only makes him go up in my estimation. He was clearly the strongest player in this series. I'll be rooting for Graeme from now on, and will be happy that if Graeme wins some kind of justice will have been done.

p.s. any explanation for the lack of sleep? (no worries if you don't want to go into details).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

John Garcia wrote:p.s. any explanation for the lack of sleep? (no worries if you don't want to go into details).
Probably just adrenalin (yes, Countdown is hardcore!)

I barely slept if I was filming the next day either, and I know of several other contestants who've been the same. I don't think it's that unusual.

Hang on that's not in keeping with the theme of this thread.

The truth is that Carl hired a German Oompah Band to play outside Mark's bedroom window all night, the rotter.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Giles wrote:And with the 5 second gap when SLOPPED was declared, Carl didn't even look down at his notes.
When you don't like a player it's all too easy to assume every hesitation to be evidence of foul play, even to the extent of supporting your prejudice with non-existent evidence as Giles has done. There are so many available 7s from that selection that it's entirely plausible Carl had several written down and was simply dithering over which one to read out (and remember, he'd declared his 7 first). I don't particularly like the guy either but it seems he's become the target of something of a witch hunt.
I agree with Phil. When I saw Giles had written that I was pretty certain I'd seen Carl looking at his notes, but couldn't be bothered checking on 4oD. Also, in his QF, he had DROWSED but looked at his notes and went for sworded* just because he wanted to declare something different from Jayne. I think people should give him the benefit of the doubt on these hesitations.
Graeme Cole wrote: I think you've got a point there. My experience with Carl was much the same as Adam's - he was perfectly polite and civil to me, even though other stories I've heard don't match that. I wouldn't agree that Carl's girlfriend was being rude to Mark. All I remember is her expressing incredulity when it was mentioned that Mark doesn't drink.
Yeah he was polite to us, maybe he's just used to sledging among competitors from his powerlifting or whatever it is and tried to psych Mark out when others weren't around. As for his girlfriend, it was more than incredulity, it was plain rude in my opinion. And she was rude about him being at university for a while before he could get a word in edgeways and explain the situation. Then again I got the impression that she didn't know she was being rude, so it probably wasn't premeditated.
Mark Deeks wrote:Cheers everybody. I'm not going to disparage Carl. He deserved to win because he did the things I didn't do. He spotted everything obvious and slept well the night before. That, it seems, was enough. He improved a lot since his heats, perhaps more so than any of us.
[...]
I hope I made for decent television and thanks to all those who have said nice things, both in this thread, at the time, and anywhere else. I appreciate it. Really.
You did make for very decent television and you've done well to keep schtum about any unsavoury incidents on a public forum, something I considered before stupidly getting dragged into this whole Carl debate. One thing should be clear to even the most committed Carl-bashers now - the guy can play Countdown. He hardly missed a thing in that game. I think only Chris Davies got TRECENTO, VEHICLE was a good spot by Mark and UNMELTED and UPSIZES would probably be dismissed as unlikely even if he had spotted them.

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

it's entirely plausible Carl had several written down and was simply dithering over which one to read out (and remember, he'd declared his 7 first).
Yes so do I. Remember in his QF against Jayne, he declared SWORDED instead of DROWSED because he wanted to be different. I think he was just doing that, as he was going to say SPOILED, but I said it first.
any explanation for the lack of sleep?
I lay awake all night thinking about what had happened the day before, what might happen the following day, and what would definitely happen the following day. I wanted it too damn much. My attitude was all wrong.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

At the end of the day, this kind of rivalry makes shows fucking epic to watch. I love it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

All the really cool No. 1 seeds blow their semi-finals.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

If anyone was gonna blow Deeks's semi, my money would have been on MWM.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:If anyone was gonna blow Deeks's semi, my money would have been on MWM.
May I remind you that there's a queue...
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I agree with Phil. When I saw Giles had written that I was pretty certain I'd seen Carl looking at his notes, but couldn't be bothered checking on 4oD. Also, in his QF, he had DROWSED but looked at his notes and went for sworded* just because he wanted to declare something different from Jayne. I think people should give him the benefit of the doubt on these hesitations.
Yeah, I for one didn't get the impression that he was actually cheating; I hadn't watched his heats, so all I'd seen of him was Tuesday's game (with the "you go ahead" incident). I was, however, expecting that Jeff would say something (e.g. a University Challenge-style "I need an answer" during the long hesitation, or a "remember to give answers promptly" afterward).
Mark Deeks wrote:I hope I made for decent television and thanks to all those who have said nice things, both in this thread, at the time, and anywhere else.
Absolutely, better than just decent.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote:When you don't like a player it's all too easy to assume every hesitation to be evidence of foul play, even to the extent of supporting your prejudice with non-existent evidence as Giles has done. There are so many available 7s from that selection that it's entirely plausible Carl had several written down and was simply dithering over which one to read out (and remember, he'd declared his 7 first). I don't particularly like the guy either but it seems he's become the target of something of a witch hunt.
I agree. If Carl had hesitated over the first numbers the way Mark did (and I don't think Mark was blagging it), I think there would have been accusations.

But well done Mark on an excellent run over the series. (And well done Carl for getting to the final.)

(I'm catching up with these on 4OD.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David Williams wrote:All the really cool No. 1 seeds blow their semi-finals.
Oi, piss off (although I did try)