Spoilers For Thursday November 10th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday November 10th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, nice to be back in the spoiler chair after being at one of the most interesting Countdown after-parties ever. 8-)

And with all the episodes of the Stelling era now in the can, let's get back to the present for now and see what's been going on.

Following Clive Barham's defeat yesterday, Nikki Roberts cemented her place in the finals, currently in the #6 spot, but can Clive's conqueror, Julie Davis, carry on from that dramatically impressive finish yesterday :?:

My internal sources tell me that today's challenger is a Paul Keane (I think the spelling's right, apologies if it isn't.).

Join me later for the Julie & Paul show to see what's going on. ;) :) :D 8-)
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers For Thursday November 10th 2011

Post by Keith Bennett »

Was it actually confirmed at the recordings that these were Jeff's last? And if so any word on when they will announce a replacement?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yes and no, in that order.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Keith Bennett wrote:And if so any word on when they will announce a replacement?
Apparently, the "replacement" is coming down to the studio at the end of the month for a proper screen test.

Looking at the latest odds, it's quite an interesting candidate as the favourite. (Note the crap clue I left in there......... :roll: )
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Nigel Short?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Robert Redford?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:
Keith Bennett wrote:And if so any word on when they will announce a replacement?
Apparently, the "replacement" is coming down to the studio at the end of the month for a proper screen test.

Looking at the latest odds, it's quite an interesting candidate as the favourite. (Note the crap clue I left in there......... :roll: )
Clive Brooker wrote:Nigel Short?
Karen Pearson wrote:Robert Redford?
Nope, more proper business.

To avoid a guessing debacle like Dave Gorman in the Others thread, I'll just tell you.

It's Nick Hewer out of The Apprentice. Quite an interesting choice, if true. 8-)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Nothing about the Nick Hewer thing is confirmed and that inappropriately jumps the gun. He is merely the odds leader and a strong candidate.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's also not even a secret - a list can be found on any betting site you choose.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

We asked everyone we saw, both on and off the record, in and out of the gallery. No one gave a answer because no one could. A decision has not been made.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Right, back to today's game.............

Not a bad start for Paul, althought I'm sure he'll want to forget those last 2 numbers games...........

MALEATES in round 6, NEMESIA in round 9, REGULI & GIRLIE in round 12.

2nd Numbers Alts.: ((100 + 50) x 4) - 10 - 8 = 582, ((50 - 5 + 4) x 10) + 100 - 8 = 582
3rd Numbers Alt.: ((9 x 2) + 7) x 4 x 8 = 800
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've just started this having not watched for a few weeks, and.... what the fucking fuck? Has Rachel had some work done or is there just some duty scaffolding hidden away there?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Don't worry, she's not had work done. She's just got a hell of a wardrobe.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Mark Deeks wrote:We asked everyone we saw, both on and off the record, in and out of the gallery. No one gave a answer because no one could. A decision has not been made.
This is what puzzles me. Unless the programme is taking a considerable break after this series ends it's pretty astonishing if they haven't got a solution by now - they've had since May to work something out for goodness sake.
Even though they may not be looking for big names anybody they want is likely to have their diary well planned out already for the next year at least, and probably for the early part of 2013 too.

If they don't know who the presenter is, then how can they confirm recording dates, book studio time and DC guests, make sure contestants are available and issue audience tickets? Allowing for Christmas holidays January programmes must surely be in the can by early to mid-December.

Suppose it is Nick Hewer, as suggested. The Apprentice apparently takes a couple of months or so to record; and whilst it may not need Nick every day it would be surprising if his contract with that programme isn't already set in stone. I can't imagine him having the freedom to flit in and out of the Boardroom just for a panel game. Lord Sugar v Damian Eadie, no contest is there?

I think an apterite should apply - wonder if Paul Sinha would be interested? Or are we heading for the indecision of "Guset Presenters" as was going to happen when RW was ill, but expected to recover?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

God, Paul would be fucking excellent. Great shout. He loves quizzing too much though obviously. Still, nice shout.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It'd be real unfortunate if Countdown's strange if sparse filming schedule were inflexibly coincident with The Apprentice's one. That's a hurdle they can surely work around.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Also, I have no idea who Nick Hewer is.
Last edited by Mark Deeks on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I think an apterite should apply
Ned Pendleton kind of did
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Did anyone else try GIRLIER^ in the UGLIER round?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Nikki has now qualified!
cheers maus
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Deeks wrote:Don't worry, she's not had work done. She's just got a hell of a wardrobe.
Yeah, I became more convinced as the show went on that that was the case. It was just a bit of an initial shock. I almost leapt out of my seat! (pants)
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Mark Deeks wrote:It'd be real unfortunate if Countdown's strange if sparse filming schedule were inflexibly coincident with The Apprentice's one. That's a hurdle they can surely work around.
Yes, of course they should be able to work round it. But given 7 months notice you'd think they should be able to come up with a new presenter without it going to the wire.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Robinson wrote:It's Nick Hewer out of The Apprentice. Quite an interesting choice, if true. 8-)
Is/was he a contestant on the Apprentice, or are there other presenters apart from that miserable old bloke who shouts at people?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Nick Hewer could be good - and at least we wouldn't have to talk about football all the bloody time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

John Bosley wrote:Nick Hewer could be good - and at least we wouldn't have to talk about football all the bloody time.
He'd be doing that "sniffing a fart" face all the time when the contestants offered something dodgy though.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Nick Hewer would be great.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Nick Hewer would be great.
Bizarrely, having watched almost every series of The Apprentice, I couldn't really tell either way. I mean, I like Nick in the show, and he often makes me laugh, but there isn't that much to his contribution beyond the odd amusing face and a statement of the obvious. And even when he appears on the aftershow, he is obviously shackled somewhat by not really being able to be seen to disagree with Lord Sugar (which is unfortunate, considering he talks a load of shit).

But I've got no real reason to believe he wouldn't be great, any more than I have to think he would.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Oh yeah, I also thought that the camera caught Paul having a sly look down Julie's top as she leaned over to show him her paper (numbers I think). I didn't bother to go back and look at it again, anyone else catch that?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Nick Hewer would be great.
Bizarrely, having watched almost every series of The Apprentice, I couldn't really tell either way. I mean, I like Nick in the show, and he often makes me laugh, but there isn't that much to his contribution beyond the odd amusing face and a statement of the obvious. And even when he appears on the aftershow, he is obviously shackled somewhat by not really being able to be seen to disagree with Lord Sugar (which is unfortunate, considering he talks a load of shit).

But I've got no real reason to believe he wouldn't be great, any more than I have to think he would.
Well he obviously has a good sense of comic timing.

Other things going for him are that he is going to be well-received by oldies, but he also has a cultish set of young fans, a bit like Stelling really.