Spoilers For Thursday October 13th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday October 13th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

Thursday's here and while I finishing scoffing down my zabaglione :P , I can tell you that Nikki is just 3 wins away from giving us back-to-back female octochamps, which has not been done since.......... Julia Wilkinson & Grace Page back in Series 47/48 in 2002. :shock: :o

I'll be around later with my not quite yet Pointless recap. :lol: ;) :) :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Thursday October 13th 2011

Post by Matt Morrison »

2nd numbers, surprised Rachel didn't get that, though presumably she will when back from the break...

Anyway, 75 x2 -7 -1 = 142, x3= 426, -10 = 416
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Yeah got that the way Rachel did it albeit well after the 30s. (should be seeing it in 30 really).

Thought Nikki was really good there, prob her best performance so far, shame about the missed eights in 1 and 2 though.

Educate in round 6.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Guess you see some quick and you don't others, I just thought 75x6 and then it was pretty damn easy.

Also - third numbers. Got that one too! Though admittedly it took about 45 seconds.

7*6 + 50 = 92, x9 = 828, +7 = 835
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Well done Nikki, though you should learn RETAINS+ so you get instant 8s like in round 1 today (SENORITA is the third
answer to RETAINS+O). Another alt to the second numbers is making 52 and 8 and mulitiplying them. MOLLIES as
an alt to HOLLIES in R3 and VOLUMES to FULSOME in R9.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Guess you see some quick and you don't others, I just thought 75x6 and then it was pretty damn easy.

Also - third numbers. Got that one too! Though admittedly it took about 45 seconds.

7*6 + 50 = 92, x9 = 828, +7 = 835
WTF. I just posted that solution but my post has been eaten!! I have no idea why that happens sometimes. I press submit and then some time later I realise it never actually got posted.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Karen Pearson wrote:WTF. I just posted that solution but my post has been eaten!! I have no idea why that happens sometimes. I press submit and then some time later I realise it never actually got posted.
Probably because I got there first so it came up with the "someone has posted since you started writing - please review your post" page and you just navigate away, assuming it's the "post submitted" success page instead. I do that quite a bit, anyway, that's what it usually is for me.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:WTF. I just posted that solution but my post has been eaten!! I have no idea why that happens sometimes. I press submit and then some time later I realise it never actually got posted.
Probably because I got there first so it came up with the "someone has posted since you started writing - please review your post" page and you just navigate away, assuming it's the "post submitted" success page instead. I do that quite a bit, anyway, that's what it usually is for me.
Bugger!! And I had that solution in the 30 secs!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Nikki seems to alternate between strong performances and less impressive performances each day.

WAITRONS in round 1, FENDERS in round 2.

2nd numbers alt: (((75-7)x3)-1)x2+10=416

When was the last time Rachel failed to solve any of the numbers games in the 30 seconds?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think ACREAGE was there at some point.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Tony Atkins wrote:SENORITA is the third answer to RETAINS+O.
I'm presuming apterous has it right - senorita is no longer valid. It's just notarise/notaries (not sure when the change came in). Senhorita is valid as an alternate to hortensia.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Andy Platt wrote:I'm presuming apterous has it right - senorita is no longer valid. It's just notarise/notaries (not sure when the change came in). Senhorita is valid as an alternate to hortensia.
And pray, what is the logic in allowing the Portuguese form, but not the Spanish? And you are expected to know these anomalies?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Exactly, the senorita thing seems a bit inconsistent compared to stuff like PINATA, which is apparently okay without the 'enya' accent.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I think the reason SENORITA isn't allowed now is that it's capitalised, although why the same isn't true for SENHORITA I don't know.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Innis Carson wrote:I think the reason SENORITA isn't allowed now is that it's capitalised, although why the same isn't true for SENHORITA I don't know.
Because SENHORITA is Portugese, but Mike made this same point in February, so it's a mystery......... :?

PANDECT in round 6, PEROGI in round 13.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yes, Senor, Senora and Senorita are now disallowed because they're capitalised, but the aitchified versions of them are still okay. Accented letters don't cause a word to be disallowed.

VOLUMISE in R9, TRAITEUR in R12.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

James Robinson wrote:back-to-back female octochamps
Which one is doing the show facing the wrong way then?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Graeme Cole wrote:Yes, Senor, Senora and Senorita are now disallowed because they're capitalised, but the aitchified versions of them are still okay. Accented letters don't cause a word to be disallowed.
And they weren't beforehand? Damn those pesky Spaniards deciding to stick in those capitals just to trip us up.