Thursday 30th June Spoilers

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Thursday 30th June Spoilers

Post by Douglas Wilson »

We hit the end of the month with Andrew still in the chair having survived four tough games.

Can he make it 5 out of 5 today?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Thursday 30th June Spoilers

Post by James Robinson »

Douglas Wilson wrote:We hit the end of the month with Andrew still in the chair having survived four tough games.

Can he make it 5 out of 5 today?
So far the quality of players in this series has been pretty impressive, given the fact that each of the champions of this series has won at least 4 games each so far, and Andrew will have 5 with a win today. Can he do it :?:

My internal sources tell me that his opponent today, is not an Apterite (unless he's been on very discreetly), but goes by the name of Gareth Lee.

Join me as I hope to unravel the mysteries of today's matchup in my recap later.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Will Andrew make it 5 today? Maybe, but one thing we know for sure is that I've made it 3 who've asked that question in this thread.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

REVEAL R3
ATONED, DONATE R4
cheers maus
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

What happened to the incorrect thing with the conundrum? That was good.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Thomas Carey wrote:REVEAL R3
ATONED, DONATE R4
I may have FOUNTED a lot of rubbish on this forum in the past, but today I found that FOUNT isn't a verb according to ODE3, so got it disallowed in R4. Did get WAGONER in R13 though.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Gareth nearly threw it away (nerves probably) but did well to hang on. Good game by both players, I thought.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joyce Phillips wrote:Gareth nearly threw it away (nerves probably) but did well to hang on. Good game by both players, I thought.
Yeah, I thought he'd blown it too - he could have been out of sight by being a bit braver on NEGATIONS and getting MILITATES (although of course I don't know how close he really was to getting that). Pleased he hung on as he would have been haunted by the "what ifs". I thought he was quite sexy too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark James wrote:What happened to the incorrect thing with the conundrum? That was good.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe they just didn't think it was worth setting up, as they didn't think the two contestants would be so thick as to get something as obvious and simple as TOXOPHILY wrong.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mark James wrote:What happened to the incorrect thing with the conundrum? That was good.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe they just didn't think it was worth setting up, as they didn't think the two contestants would be so thick as to get something as obvious and simple as TOXOPHILY wrong.
Haha, I spent about 30 seconds staring at this trying to solve it, gave up and went to watch that bit of the show. Seriously, wtf?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk is a toxophobe, I think.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I'm not sure why they didn't use the Conundral Corbometer this time. Perhaps while it's still a new idea that might not be expected by the contestants they want to avoid using it on crucials. Otherwise Andrew might have thought he'd won when Jeff said "let's take a look..."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:
I'm not sure why they didn't use the Conundral Corbometer this time. Perhaps while it's still a new idea that might not be expected by the contestants they want to avoid using it on crucials. Otherwise Andrew might have thought he'd won when Jeff said "let's take a look..."
Yeah, but when he guessed MARQUETRY the other day, he might've thought that the INCORRECT was going to come too, as he didn't know it existed.

Still, a mystery........... :? :roll:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Surely that's the main argument for using the INCORRECT thing?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Yes, as long as the contestants know that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, which it has done for years. You wouldn't want to be five points behind in the conundrum, buzz in with a guess, hear the familiar words and think you've won only to be told you haven't. I expect they'll phase it in properly once everyone's got used to the fact that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean your answer is right any more.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Graeme Cole wrote:Yes, as long as the contestants know that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, which it has done for years. You wouldn't want to be five points behind in the conundrum, buzz in with a guess, hear the familiar words and think you've won only to be told you haven't. I expect they'll phase it in properly once everyone's got used to the fact that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean your answer is right any more.
I would. But I'm a sadist. It could make for some great TV. People might actually break down into tears!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:I'm not sure why they didn't use the Conundral Corbometer this time. Perhaps while it's still a new idea that might not be expected by the contestants they want to avoid using it on crucials. Otherwise Andrew might have thought he'd won when Jeff said "let's take a look..."
Yes, as long as the contestants know that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, which it has done for years. You wouldn't want to be five points behind in the conundrum, buzz in with a guess, hear the familiar words and think you've won only to be told you haven't. I expect they'll phase it in properly once everyone's got used to the fact that "let's take a look" doesn't necessarily mean your answer is right any more.
Presumably they have the ability to tell contestants in advance that this is what now happens rather than wait till people get used to it on the basis of enough incorrect non-crucial conundrums.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:I'm not sure why they didn't use the Conundral Corbometer this time.
I think I love you.
Graeme Cole wrote:Otherwise Andrew might have thought he'd won when Jeff said "let's take a look..."
That would have been awesome :twisted: