Spoilers For Friday June 24th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday June 24th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, the week is preparing for its climax, and what a climax we could have in store for you today.......

5-time champ Matt Croy is staying firm in the chair, despite a very tough challenge from Kevan Nijjar yesterday, but his toughest test of all is just on the horizon.

As his challenger today, is another product of the Apterous Academy, the relative newcomer, Drew Halliburton, who is roughly 400 ratings points higher than Matt. But should we read anything into that statistic :?:

With Mike off this week, Rhys will take over recapping duties for today. ;) :) :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Friday June 24th 2011

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:5-time champ Matt Croy is staying firm in the chair
Urgh.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Amazing game. 'Nuff said.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

What a finish. Did anyone else shout the conundrum answer at the screen in a very loud and inappropriate manner?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Flip, has to be the most dramatic finish in a while. Incredible game, gotta say I really enjoyed Matt's run, unlucky to him.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great game lads. 8-)

Also another good week's stint by The Punslinger. :)
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

really enjoyed this game today

50/25
10-2
100+1x 8 808,, best i could get
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ben Wilson wrote:What a finish. Did anyone else shout the conundrum answer at the screen in a very loud and inappropriate manner?
Pretty much. Always do.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

It's a good thing I watch the last bit of this BEFORE I recap this so I don't get too carried away!

Jeff - :lol: . PLEASE DON'T GO!!!!!!!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Got extremely excited about MELONATE in Round 3 until I discovered it wasn't in.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Flip, has to be the most dramatic finish in a while.
Jeffs' 'trousers', you mean?
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Ben Wilson wrote:What a finish. Did anyone else shout the conundrum answer at the screen in a very loud and inappropriate manner?
Yes. Nothing against Matt but I was rooting for Andrew in this game. I was shouting the answer and yelling at Andrew to press the buzzer. I was gobsmacked when he finally did press and came up with the right answer. Fantastic finish to a very good game.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

TELAMON in the OMENTAL round
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Yes, fantastic game. Just for a change I saw the conundrum very quickly, so it made the suspense even better. (I did just wonder whether Jeff should have asked for the answer straight away rather than try to build the suspense even more ... it gave Andrew a bit more thinking time... I guess he had actually got it by his reaction.) But well played to both.

Really good week from Tim Vine - good idea to mix up the humour rather than just pun all the time.

And AUTEURS in one of the rounds as an equaller. BTW, HEARTING isn't in Lexplorer as being a valid word.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Pretty much. Always do.
Ben was making reference to PARQUETRY Joseph. Sorry to state the obvious.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
Pretty much. Always do.
Ben was making reference to PARQUETRY Joseph. Sorry to state the obvious.
Oh yeah getting the Hansford reference now... I think...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Brian Moore wrote:BTW, HEARTING isn't in Lexplorer as being a valid word.
I didn't think it was when I heard it said either, but there you go........., or is it :?:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Fantastic performance from both contestants today. I'd have been beaten by either of them. Matt and Andrew maxed every round between them.
James Robinson wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:BTW, HEARTING isn't in Lexplorer as being a valid word.
I didn't think it was when I heard it said either, but there you go........., or is it :?:
HEART is definitely in ODE3 as a verb.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Amazing game, didn't realised Andrew was an apterite. I always thought Drew was a female name. :oops:

P.S. OSTERIA in R7
cheers maus
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Thomas Carey wrote:Amazing game, didn't realised Andrew was an apterite. I always thought Drew was a female name. :oops:

P.S. OSTERIA in R7
Despite the many references Jason has made to your namesake, Drew Carey?

P.S. just noticed that his middle name is Allison, just to confuse things further.
James Wilson

Post by James Wilson »

I saw HEARTING straight away and then remembered I'd had it disallowed on Apterous but there was an anagram and spent the 30 seconds trying (unsuccessfully) to remember the anagram. So it's a good job I wasn't on that episode.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Great game both. Did no-one else notice the advert for a directory enquiries service at 11:33 on 4oD? Matt and Andrew just need false moustaches and they've got the job.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Adam Gillard wrote:Great game both. Did no-one else notice the advert for a directory enquiries service at 11:33 on 4oD? Matt and Andrew just need false moustaches and they've got the job.
For some reason I've been getting CD on 4oD without any adverts for a week or more - not even trailers for 4oD. Maybe they've been tracking my buying/viewing habits, and have realised that it's a waste of time showing me adverts, as I'm rubbish at spending money (at least on the sorts of things they advertise.)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Brian Moore wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Great game both. Did no-one else notice the advert for a directory enquiries service at 11:33 on 4oD? Matt and Andrew just need false moustaches and they've got the job.
For some reason I've been getting CD on 4oD without any adverts for a week or more - not even trailers for 4oD. Maybe they've been tracking my buying/viewing habits, and have realised that it's a waste of time showing me adverts, as I'm rubbish at spending money (at least on the sorts of things they advertise.)
I was referring to 118 118 of course. I've never had adverts on 4oD or anywhere else (pretty much) thanks to Adblock Plus.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:
I was referring to 118 118 of course. I've never had adverts on 4oD or anywhere else (pretty much) thanks to Adblock Plus.
Well, I've always had 'em.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:I was referring to 118 118 of course. I've never had adverts on 4oD or anywhere else (pretty much) thanks to Adblock Plus.
Well, I've always had 'em.
As far as I'm aware Adblock Plus can't filter out the trailers on 4oD. But I'm confused ... you're saying you don't get adverts on 4oD, but you saw the 118 118 advert?

Or perhaps ABP can filter out trailers ... I've just started using the subscription to 'Fanboy's List' in Adblock Plus to save me having to block stuff manually ... maybe that does the trick? (But I can't see how it does, as I imagine the 4oD trailers/adverts run automatically from source once you press the play button.) Not that it matters ... interesting, that's all.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Brian Moore wrote: As far as I'm aware Adblock Plus can't filter out the trailers on 4oD. But I'm confused ... you're saying you don't get adverts on 4oD, but you saw the 118 118 advert?
He means both contestants declared 118 right after each other so it sounded like they were advertising that company. I thought the same thing Adam when I heard it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Brian Moore wrote:As far as I'm aware Adblock Plus can't filter out the trailers on 4oD.
Works for me.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:As far as I'm aware Adblock Plus can't filter out the trailers on 4oD.
Works for me.
Ah, well maybe it does work then - that would explain why mine have disappeared. I hadn't put 2 & 2 together.
Mark James wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:But I'm confused ... you're saying you don't get adverts on 4oD, but you saw the 118 118 advert?
He means both contestants declared 118 right after each other so it sounded like they were advertising that company. I thought the same thing Adam when I heard it.
Ah, thanks. I'm obviously not quick on the uptake today. But I have cycled 126 miles, so maybe I'll be excused.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I forgot I'd recently installed Adblock, was wondering why Channel 4 were being so generous.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I knew I had Adblock Plus running, but I was still wondering why Channel 4 were being so generous - had no idea ABP could (or did) gain control over inserted video adverts. That's quality news.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Best climax in ages...... oh and that conundrum was a tense one.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Matt Morrison wrote:I knew I had Adblock Plus running, but I was still wondering why Channel 4 were being so generous - had no idea ABP could (or did) gain control over inserted video adverts. That's quality news.
Pah! They've now twigged, and you've got to disable Adblock Plus to watch on 4oD. Bugger.