Wednesday 22nd June Spoilers

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Wednesday 22nd June Spoilers

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Today is Wednesday and having so far racked up 3 wins, copper Matt has the chance to become half an Octochamp today.

Find out later :) :D ;) 8-) :lol: :ugeek:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Wednesday 22nd June Spoilers

Post by Ryan Taylor »

My mum is 50 today.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Happy Birthday to her!

What did you get her?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Happy Birthday to her!

What did you get her?
Nothing much really. I'm a terrible son. In fact, she hasn't even got her presents yet because I was still asleep when she went to work this morning.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Haha, cheap shot while I was returning home early.

Am off to cricket later, so the recap will either be very early, or very late.

More likely the latter.........
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

NEOCONS as an equaller in round 2.

I think I even pencilled it last week. :geek:

EDIT: I DID! http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4 ... 1#r6696201
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

MILIEUS as an equaller in round 6.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

check out the INCORRECT conundrum :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Wow! Never seen that before, a nice touch.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Actually laughed out loud when that happened. Does anyone know how it works? Does the board rotate the other way to display INCORRECT, or do they have to set it up afterwards?
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

Brilliant! What took them so long to think of that?!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Is it going to be like that now? Certainly much better than Stelling telling us to 'let's see', because it means we know it's correct - or used to be - if you se what i mean !
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I know the "INCORRECT" thing has been suggested a few times before, but it still caught me by surprise. When Jeff said "let's take a look", I thought, "oh, I didn't know you could spell SHREDDING with an A" and then it came up "INCORRECT".

The answer flippything (don't know the technical name for it) rotated the same way both times, so I'm not sure what happens in the studio now if someone guesses wrong. It's either (a) Jeff says "let's take a look" and then tells the contestant it's wrong and restarts the clock, then they edit in the INCORRECT reveal afterwards, or (b) they have to wait a bit while someone replaces the answer with INCORRECT before flipping it, or (c) it already says INCORRECT and they have to wait while someone puts the right answer up. I'm not sure why they didn't go with (d): the flippything is a triangular prism, so you put INCORRECT on the third side and flip it in the appropriate direction when the contestant answers.

(Edit: I've just realised (b) and (c) are complete nonsense, as they would both give the other contestant a significant amount of extra thinking time. So it's (a).)
(Edit edit: that's not true of (c), but I still think it would be a pain in the arse to do.)

They do the "reveal" twice, anyway: once when the contestant answers correctly, and once after the end of the show with the camera pointed at the whole conundrum board and that blue template over it (and again as many times as necessary until they get a shot without any of the letters falling off). That second shot is what you see in the programme.

But what I want to know is, what are they going to do if the scramble is INTERCROC?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:I know the "INCORRECT" thing has been suggested a few times before, but it still caught me by surprise. When Jeff said "let's take a look", I thought, "oh, I didn't know you could spell SHREDDING with an A" and then it came up "INCORRECT".

The answer flippything (don't know the technical name for it) rotated the same way both times, so I'm not sure what happens in the studio now if someone guesses wrong. It's either (a) Jeff says "let's take a look" and then tells the contestant it's wrong and restarts the clock, then they edit in the INCORRECT reveal afterwards, or (b) they have to wait a bit while someone replaces the answer with INCORRECT before flipping it, or (c) it already says INCORRECT and they have to wait while someone puts the right answer up. I'm not sure why they didn't go with (d): the flippything is a triangular prism, so you put INCORRECT on the third side and flip it in the appropriate direction when the contestant answers.

(Edit: I've just realised (b) and (c) are complete nonsense, as they would both give the other contestant a significant amount of extra thinking time. So it's (a).)
(Edit edit: that's not true of (c), but I still think it would be a pain in the arse to do.)

They do the "reveal" twice, anyway: once when the contestant answers correctly, and once after the end of the show with the camera pointed at the whole conundrum board and that blue template over it (and again as many times as necessary until they get a shot without any of the letters falling off). That second shot is what you see in the programme.

But what I want to know is, what are they going to do if the scramble is INTERCROC?
Ahem.

Yeah, these were my thoughts too, basically "why have it going the same way both times as that surely requires an edit - why not just turn one way for incorrect?", and then also "wait, what if incorrect is the answer and somebody guesses incorrectly (by which I don't mean literally stating "incorrectly" as their guess, I just mean getting it wrong).
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jon Corby wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:I know the "INCORRECT" thing has been suggested a few times before...

Ahem.

Yeah, these were my thoughts too, basically "why have it going the same way both times as that surely requires an edit - why not just turn one way for incorrect?", and then also "wait, what if incorrect is the answer and somebody guesses incorrectly (by which I don't mean literally stating "incorrectly" as their guess, I just mean getting it wrong).
Ah yes, the flippything is called the Conundral Corbometer. :-)

I'm waiting for some clown to buzz in on 29.5 seconds and say "is it INCORRECT, Jeff?" then go "yay!" when it's revealed to be incorrect.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Belated happy 50th to your mum, Ryan :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:I'm waiting for some clown to buzz in on 29.5 seconds and say "is it INCORRECT, Jeff?" then go "yay!" when it's revealed to be incorrect.
Ha yeah, that would be cool :)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:Ahem.
Was that thread only last year? Seems like ages since such fun was had. But he'll find it difficult to deny that this was a suggestion made on here that was subsequently adopted.