Spoilers For Tuesday June 21st 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday June 21st 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're at the longest day of the year, which can only mean 2 things.

1. The days will be getting shorter for the next 6 months.

and

2. There are just 187 days to Christmas. :D

But for now, there's good old Countdown to keep us entertained before St. Nicholas arrives.

Matt Croy impresses many yesterday with a brill performance, despite the adverse number conditions. Can he make it a hat-trick of wins today :?:

Join Liam later for the recap. ;) :) :D
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday June 21st 2011

Post by Bob De Caux »

1st Numbers:
(7+6)*(50+9)+(7-1)
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

EGESTION and TRIGONES in the STEERING round
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

That's got to be the worst attempt at picking numbers I've seen for a while
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

CLAVIER in R3 as an alternative to CLEAVER, CLEARER and why if they had RATTIER and RATTLER did they miss RATTLIER in R9? 13*60-7 also works in the first numbers of course.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

That was Alex who got the conundrum, no? Sure I recognise his face and he looked like he was looking towards Rachel after he got it. He's taken his flesh tunnel out and doesn't look as cool any more.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I demand some kind of response. I'm more important than your silence lets on.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:I demand some kind of response. I'm more important than your silence lets on.
In that case,........

I think it was Alex, but the problem is that the last time we saw him in the audience was midway through Series 62, and I've kinda forgotten what he looks like, but I suppose we'll say it was him.

Happy, Matt :?:
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Well done on the century Matt; some great spots from Susie too as usual. Seems Damian's learnt his lesson regarding teaser scrambles after having ADAMBENT while I was on the show by avoiding FAILMATT and "MATTFAIL - "Matt failed to make ravioli"", which is one of my unused teasers for AptoSOS.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I demand some kind of response. I'm more important than your silence lets on.
Yes, it definitely was Alex. I'm surprised they didn't mention it.

And yes Bob, the challenger's numbers selections were totally bent. They used to warn you against doing stupid shit like that in the contestants guidelines. Probably still do.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Who's Alex?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Who's Alex?
Think they are referring to Rachel's brother?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:Who's Alex?
Think they are referring to Rachel's brother?
Correct.

I had to Google "flesh tunnel" btw, and was slightly apprehensive about doing it at work.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:That was Alex who got the conundrum, no? Sure I recognise his face and he looked like he was looking towards Rachel after he got it. He's taken his flesh tunnel out and doesn't look as cool any more.
I didn't watch it, but wouldn't that mean you just end up with ridiculous floppy ears?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:That was Alex who got the conundrum, no? Sure I recognise his face and he looked like he was looking towards Rachel after he got it. He's taken his flesh tunnel out and doesn't look as cool any more.
I didn't watch it, but wouldn't that mean you just end up with ridiculous floppy ears?
The native tribe that used to live on Easter Island (that one with the giant stone heads) would attach weights to their earlobes so that they would stretch. The longer your earlobes the more regard you had in the tribe. Some would be so long that they could pin them to their ankles.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
The native tribe that used to live on Easter Island (that one with the giant stone heads) would attach weights to their earlobes so that they would stretch. The longer your earlobes the more regard you had in the tribe. Some would be so long that they could pin them to their ankles.
OK, but I don't recall seeing anyone in this country wandering around with massive holes in their ears without anything in them. I can't imagine the holes just go away again when you take the lumps out.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sorry for any confusings. I don't know the official terminology but Wikipedia seems to agree with me that flesh tunnel refers to the actual jewellery as opposed to the hole through the ear. I don't know if the hole itself has any particular name other than something vague like "a stretched ear piercing". So flesh tunnels are the bits of jewellery that allow you to see through the ear, then you get flesh/ear plugs which are the solid bits to fill the hole, that you can't see through, more like your typical African tribe type thing. Both serve the purpose of keeping the hole open, of course.

People often decide to take their flesh tunnels out when they're bored of trying to be cool, and let their ear slowly close up back to being a normal ear piercing (every ear is different but you can usually stretch up to 8-10mm before needing to worry about whether the hole would completely close up again at a later date). This is what Alex had done, taken the jewellery out (the flesh tunnel) leaving the hole which was a bit smaller than last time he got airtime, I think. I'm personally not bored of trying to be cool so I still have mine in, and I never heard you call me Floppy Ears Morrison, Gev.
Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't recall seeing anyone in this country wandering around with massive holes in their ears without anything in them. I can't imagine the holes just go away again when you take the lumps out.
I see quite a few, and I don't really hang around in cool circles that much any more, it's just a case of having an interest and awareness of these things I guess. I'm sure for example Kirk would "see" more trains than me if we walked through the same train station together, and how Ryan claims to have never seen a samosa before until he came to visit us but it's actually just cos he's a closed-minded racist.

I remember one of my friends telling me about this freak at a tattoo convention who'd stretched his ear so much that the skin around the hole at the bottom had gotten so thin it fell apart, and then he had the flaps of skin repierced to reform the hole in the middle.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I see quite a few, and I don't really hang around in cool circles that much any more, it's just a case of having an interest and awareness of these things I guess.
I'm like this all the time, with really mundane things. Like if I get new tyres fitted on my car, I start checking out every car tyre I see. It annoys me but I can't help it. It's a bit OCD-y I think.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon Corby wrote: Like if I get new tyres fitted on my car, I start checking out every car tyre I see.
I'm a bit like this, but with penises in public toilets (this bears no relevance to the first part of your sentence, before you think I'm some sort of weirdo).