Spoilers for Monday, 25th August

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Monday, 25th August

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The break is finally over :D.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 25th August

Post by Michael Wallace »

PANEER as an equaller in round 3 (though they didn't even ask DC!)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Surprised they didn't get SLANTED in round 4.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

DAINTIER
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Did Jeremy say FOGGIEST? As it would have been an ok word but no-one mentioned that there was only one G.Or did I mishear him.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rich Priest wrote:Did Jeremy say FOGGIEST? As it would have been an ok word but no-one mentioned that there was only one G.Or did I mishear him.
It sounded like FOGGIEST but I think he was playing for FOGIEST as in, most fogey like, or something (they discussed that a bit, at least).
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Post by Michael Simmonds »

Alternative, and surely easier answer that CV's numbers round 2 :- 100 + 75 - 5 + 1 x 2 (50 / 25).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Simmonds wrote:Alternative, and surely easier answer that CV's numbers round 2 :- 100 + 75 - 5 + 1 x 2 (50 / 25).
Carol's made sense and was quite logical - I'm not sure yours is any "easier".
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Nah, I'd say that 171x2 is a much more straightforward route than Carol's (mine was similarly complicated, going for ((50-1)*5)+100-(75/25)).
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Words are not usually my greatest forte, but DESCALER in round 8 was surely there? Although not mentioned by DC.
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Michael Wallace wrote:Nah, I'd say that 171x2 is a much more straightforward route than Carol's (mine was similarly complicated, going for ((50-1)*5)+100-(75/25)).
Thanks for the vote of confidence Michael. Perhaps I should apply for Carol's job after all! Out of interest, is anyone else on the forum applying?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:DAINTIER
DIATRIBE in that round as well
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Michael Wallace wrote:(mine was similarly complicated, going for ((50-1)*5)+100-(75/25)).
I went that way too. Just seemed to leap out at me.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:Did Jeremy say FOGGIEST? As it would have been an ok word but no-one mentioned that there was only one G.Or did I mishear him.
It sounded like FOGGIEST but I think he was playing for FOGIEST as in, most fogey like, or something (they discussed that a bit, at least).
He declared 8. I thought he said FROGIEST which is both invalid and misspelt.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Wasn't the last numbers game a shambles? Carol has an unfortunate habit of not bothering to listen to the contestant once she thinks she knows what they're going to say. It seemed to dawn on her that something wasn't quite right, but as the solution was pretty obvious she made a big point of saying that the contestant had got it. But he hadn't. What he said before she interrupted was heading for 248, not 252. I hope he'd got it written down correctly.

David
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:(mine was similarly complicated, going for ((50-1)*5)+100-(75/25)).
I went that way too. Just seemed to leap out at me.
And me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:Wasn't the last numbers game a shambles? Carol has an unfortunate habit of not bothering to listen to the contestant once she thinks she knows what they're going to say. It seemed to dawn on her that something wasn't quite right, but as the solution was pretty obvious she made a big point of saying that the contestant had got it. But he hadn't. What he said before she interrupted was heading for 248, not 252. I hope he'd got it written down correctly.

David
Is that definitely right? I didn't notice exactly what he said but he did say "minus" which surprised me a bit, but Carol seemed to suggest that he took away four and then added six, but I didn't pay enough attention to what he said.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I agree that Carol (presumably having been thinking of that solution) did seem to correct what had been said, so I hope contestant had written down a correct method. I'd have been really unhappy if the game had turned on the result of the round.
BTW, my method (out of time) was (75+1)x(100+5x25)/50=342
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Simmonds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Nah, I'd say that 171x2 is a much more straightforward route than Carol's (mine was similarly complicated, going for ((50-1)*5)+100-(75/25)).
Thanks for the vote of confidence Michael. Perhaps I should apply for Carol's job after all! Out of interest, is anyone else on the forum applying?
Don't think I was knocking you, Michael - please feel free to post beaters etc - I just didn't see that 171x2 was easier to spot (even though it's an easier calculation).
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Michael Simmonds wrote:
Don't think I was knocking you, Michael - please feel free to post beaters etc - I just didn't see that 171x2 was easier to spot (even though it's an easier calculation).
I certainly didn't take offence Kirk. Life is all about opinions, and it would be very boring if we all thought the same. The forum is here for us to debate and share our alternatives, and I find it very interesting to see all the different calculations posted - keep them coming!
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

BTW, my method (out of time) was (75+1)x(100+5x25)/50=342
:o
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I got RADIUS in round 2 and DENTALS in round 4 that weren't mentioned in DC.
Although I couldn't count DENTALS as I didn't risk it, going for the safe STOLEN. :(
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
David Williams wrote:Wasn't the last numbers game a shambles? Carol has an unfortunate habit of not bothering to listen to the contestant once she thinks she knows what they're going to say. It seemed to dawn on her that something wasn't quite right, but as the solution was pretty obvious she made a big point of saying that the contestant had got it. But he hadn't. What he said before she interrupted was heading for 248, not 252. I hope he'd got it written down correctly.

David
Is that definitely right? I didn't notice exactly what he said but he did say "minus" which surprised me a bit, but Carol seemed to suggest that he took away four and then added six, but I didn't pay enough attention to what he said.
Yes, Gavin. David was absolutely correct in what he said. Carol certainly wasn't listening, and she was wrong in saying that Jeremy had got it correct. Jeremy's solution definitely gave 248 and not 252.

It's strange that on the one time that Carol makes a big thing of mentioning that she's written down a solution in the way she wants and not in the way that the contestant says it, she's wrong in saying that the two are equivalent. There are numerous other times when she writes a solution down in a different manner, but says nothing.

And btw, I went for Carol's method in round 10, rather than any of the others already mentioned in this thread.

Still slowly catching up with programmes I missed while away - only one to go now, and then I'll be up to date (for series 59, at any rate).