Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

Welcome to Week 14 of this 20 week series, which is now heading into the final third, leading to a very early finish on June 3.

Right, to clear things up now, all 4 octochamps, Adam, Ed, Andy and Ned have officially qualified for the finals, and Graham who was deposed as champ on Friday could guarantee his place this week if results go his way.

But for now, Mary Adie is the champion, can she ensure a female presence in the finals, as Michelle Nevitt is lurking dangerously in the unsafe positions near the bottom of the leaderboard....... :?:

Making her debut in DC this week (if you discount her appearance on the Corrie 50th anniversary episode) is a TV presenter who has gone from being Nicky Campbell's assistant on Wheel Of Fortune to helping makeover people's houses on Changing Rooms, it's Carol Smillie. :mrgreen:

Join Ryan for his recap later. ;) :) :D
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2011

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote: Making her debut in DC this week it's Carol Smillie. :mrgreen:
Once in a pub quiz I the question was "Which celebrity is an anagram of LOCAL MISERY?" so obviously everyone was looking at me telling me to solve it. It took me like a good 5 minutes to unscramble it and then I complained to the quizmaster that he'd spelt it wrongly, he just told me to shut up.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Best game for a long long while. If you didn't watch it, then do watch it.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

If anyone tried ICEFLOES in round 8 and SEALION in round 11 - they are each spelt as two words in ODE3.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Best game for a long long while. If you didn't watch it, then do watch it.
Defo. One of the best games featuring 2 non-Apterites.

CAPITOLS in round 2, BORGATE (helps with it mentioned twice last week) and PORTAGE in round 6, CITOLES in round 8 and OLEFINS in round 11.

3rd Numbers Alt.: (4 + 5) x 8 x 5 = 360
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

OPTICALS from round 2 seems to be invaild on apterous.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jojo Apollo wrote:OPTICALS from round 2 seems to be invaild on apterous.
apterous is wrong this time. ODE3 gives OPTICAL as a noun but only in the plural OPTICALS, which is apparently an Indian term for a pair of glasses.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Best game for a long long while. If you didn't watch it, then do watch it.
Thanks for heads up. Really good game.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Making her debut in DC this week it's Carol Smillie. :mrgreen:
Once in a pub quiz I the question was "Which celebrity is an anagram of LOCAL MISERY?" so obviously everyone was looking at me telling me to solve it. It took me like a good 5 minutes to unscramble it and then I complained to the quizmaster that he'd spelt it wrongly, he just told me to shut up.
My sisters and I once did a pub quiz where the question was asked: "What is the only six-letter word in the English language that does not contain any of the five vowels?" I asked him if I could get an extra point if I gave 2 and he said yes.The bastard then refused to believe that SYZYGY was a real word and wouldn't give the point. We ended up losing by one point, to a bunch of students down the back who were using their mobiles to get answers on the internet. We haven't bothered going to a quiz since.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
My sisters and I once did a pub quiz where the question was asked: "What is the only six-letter word in the English language that does not contain any of the five vowels?" I asked him if I could get an extra point if I gave 2 and he said yes.The bastard then refused to believe that SYZYGY was a real word and wouldn't give the point. We ended up losing by one point, to a bunch of students down the back who were using their mobiles to get answers on the internet. We haven't bothered going to a quiz since.
Ha, love the fact you haven't been to a quiz since because of it. I do hate it when I see people on their mobiles (especially the iPhones and the htc things where the internet is like really good). Even if they're not cheating I still scowl at them in disgust for even getting a phone out during a quiz which is why I hate it when my team do because then it's our turn to feel the glare of people. This has been discussed before though.

I would have thought you'd made up the word SYZYGY too although I wouldn't have written a silly question like that in the first place. The trouble with many quiz setters (particularly it would seem in Hull) is that they are bone idle and just nab a pre made one off the internet. This does come in handy sometimes because I've memorised quite a big amount of the quiz questions from the sites that appear in the top Google search for something as braindead as "free quiz questions". Even better, if you go to a quiz and google search a few of the answers when you get home and it brings up a site that they've just taken say the first 30 questions off then there's a nice easy task of memorising the whole bunch of them on the site and turning up to the quiz next week knowing that you are going to win (unless they change it).
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I hate quizzes with wrong answers. I was at one with a true or false round and the question was, "No one can lick their own elbow, true or false"? They said it was true yet the night before I had watched someone lick their own elbow on that Frank Skinner show. Then there was a who wants to be a millionaire round. One of the questions was "which famous video game involves the interlocking of body parts" Can't remember the four options but the answer was Tetris. Since when did that involve body parts? They're blocks. Finally in the movie soundtracks round they played Eric Clapton's acoustic version of Layla. You had to name the song, the artist and the film it featured in. The answers they were looking for were Layla, Eric Clapton, Goodfellas. Which isn't technically correct. The acoustic version doesn't feature in that film and the correct artist should have been Derrick and the Dominoes. We put down both sets of answers cause we knew they had fucked up and possibly wouldn't have accepted the actual correct answers. We ended up coming second after a tie break question. T'was a frustrating night.